R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 05-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #3541
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Of course but that wasn't what you asked! I don't strip the motor down totally
Just remove and inspect the rear and button. I'll do a complete strip when I change the rod which is about every gallon or gallon and a half. My engines have always ran better when left undisturbed inside to a point.
ya u know what? thats the second time i heard that. the first time was from tadahiko sahashi. he only checks the inside through the holes and cleans the outside only. i dont know why my local hobbyshop always tells me to clean the inside of the engine and all parts individually with soap and water then heat gun the oil then put it back together.

what picco does is cleaning gum the outside then oil the inside only by removing the back plate, thats it.

denatured alcohol, does that swell the rubber seals of the bearings?

what types are solvent based cleaners?

great help guys thanks!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 AM   #3542
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The theory is that the oil/deposits that are around the piston etc form part of the piston/liner seal and shouldn't be touched once broken in. You can test what I mean.

When you've run the engine for a while remove it from the car and look in the exhaust port. When you rotate the crank towards TDC you shouldn't see any air bubbles escaping past the piston. If you were to then strip the engine and clean the piston and liner etc then rebuild it and repeat the test my bet is you'll see air bubbles escaping!

Just stick to motor spray/brake cleaner on areas of stubborn dirt otherwise just use a brush and cleaning gum. Any form of cleaning chemical spray isn't great for rubber regardless what it is made of. Don't worry about that solvent comment with regards to external cleaning of the engine...
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #3543
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

This is confusing. What do you do if you need to change the rod? At some point you'll have to take the engine apart.

Quote:
The theory is that the oil/deposits that are around the piston etc form part of the piston/liner seal and shouldn't be touched once broken in. You can test what I mean.

When you've run the engine for a while remove it from the car and look in the exhaust port. When you rotate the crank towards TDC you shouldn't see any air bubbles escaping past the piston. If you were to then strip the engine and clean the piston and liner etc then rebuild it and repeat the test my bet is you'll see air bubbles escaping!

Just stick to motor spray/brake cleaner on areas of stubborn dirt otherwise just use a brush and cleaning gum. Any form of cleaning chemical spray isn't great for rubber regardless what it is made of. Don't worry about that solvent comment with regards to external cleaning of the engine...
ToysRUsKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #3544
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Cleaning the Engine

I would suggest to leave the engine together until it's time for any maintenance. Constantly taking the engine apart to clean it is not necessary.

If you do want to take it apart after each race, You can clean the bearings with brake cleaner. Only wipe the piston with a clean microfiber towel. You do not want to remove any of the carbon from the side of the piston. Wipe the sleeve inside, and out with the clean microfiber.

It's ok to polish the carbon off the head button.

It's ok to remove built up carbon from the top of the piston, but never touch the side of the piston!

Make sure to thoroughly dry each part, and oil everything as you re-assemble.

Also:

It's also a good idea to use after run oil at the end of each day of racing. No matter what fuel you run. Rusting can start in hours in humid conditions.

To burn all the fuel out if the engine. Remove the fuel line, and turn the engine over with the glow ignitor until it will not try to start any more. Then, you can add the after run oil.

I've seen those few cc's of fuel left in the engine destroy rear bearings in a week of sitting.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #3545
Tech Elite

Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I would suggest to leave the engine together until it's time for any maintenance. Constantly taking the engine apart to clean it is not necessary.

If you do want to take it apart after each race, You can clean the bearings with brake cleaner. Only wipe the piston with a clean microfiber towel. You do not want to remove any of the carbon from the side of the piston. Wipe the sleeve inside, and out with the clean microfiber.

It's ok to remove built up carbon from the top of the piston, but never touch the side of the piston!

Also:

It's also a good idea to use after run oil at the end of each day of racing. No matter what fuel you run. Rusting can start in hours in humid conditions.

To burn all the fuel out if the engine. Remove the fuel line, and turn the engine over with the glow ignitor until it will not try to start any more. Then, you can add the after run oil.

I've seen those few cc's of fuel left in the engine destroy rear bearings in a week of sitting.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #3546
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A little debate ensued Sunday that I need cleared up. Are the Nova Pre-run engines truly broke in and ready for optimum race tuning out of the box?
411,3.0 17.5 TC; 3.5 Mod Sedan HobbyWing
Please drive responsibly
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:03 PM   #3547
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
This is confusing. What do you do if you need to change the rod? At some point you'll have to take the engine apart.
How is it confusing?? Of course you will need to take it apart to change rods and bearings at some point but as Uriah says minimise it as far as practicable and don't clean around the piston!
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #3548
Tech Elite

Here's why it's was confusing..."The theory is that the oil/deposits that are around the piston etc form part of the piston/liner seal and shouldn't be touched once broken in." Not touching it means not touching it and changing a rod is touching it.

Quote:
How is it confusing?? Of course you will need to take it apart to change rods and bearings at some point but as Uriah says minimise it as far as practicable and don't clean around the piston!
Old 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #3549
Tech Apprentice

Default New Munan O.S engine

Just a question for Uriah Murnan.

New O.S. 2101 .21 engine on MM page.

How good is the engine? A lot of people say that with this new O.S base the engines can reach the performance of the Nova´s, or better... Metal quality has allways been a plus with O.S.
Luís Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #3550
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:

Also:

You have PM
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #3551
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPXJOE View Post
ya u know what? thats the second time i heard that. the first time was from tadahiko sahashi. he only checks the inside through the holes and cleans the outside only. i dont know why my local hobbyshop always tells me to clean the inside of the engine and all parts individually with soap and water then heat gun the oil then put it back together.

what picco does is cleaning gum the outside then oil the inside only by removing the back plate, thats it.

denatured alcohol, does that swell the rubber seals of the bearings?

what types are solvent based cleaners?

great help guys thanks!
It never gave me a problem ( denatured) . Those seals around tthe exhaust usually dont last long anyway. I only use it on the outside after using cleaning putty to get what doesn't come off. When I do open it up, I just wipe it dry and oil it as put it back together. Im under the impression theres some good bad stuff in every engine. I seen peoples engines blow up right after a strip down and was probably the reason for the failure.
JOE SI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 AM   #3552
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SI View Post
It never gave me a problem ( denatured) . Those seals around tthe exhaust usually dont last long anyway. I only use it on the outside after using cleaning putty to get what doesn't come off. When I do open it up, I just wipe it dry and oil it as put it back together. Im under the impression theres some good bad stuff in every engine. I seen peoples engines blow up right after a strip down and was probably the reason for the failure.
I too have seen more failures right after opening the engine. Usually for a new rod.

It's easy to leave an invisible burr when installing the new clips. I actually sand the edge of the hole after the new clip is in. Just around the edge of the wristpin hole. That guarantees that possible little burr you don't see won't cause a failure, or scratch the piston.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #3553
Tech Elite

Quote:
I too have seen more failures right after opening the engine. Usually for a new rod.

It's easy to leave an invisible burr when installing the new clips. I actually sand the edge of the hole after the new clip is in. Just around the edge of the wristpin hole. That guarantees that possible little burr you don't see won't cause a failure, or scratch the piston.
Thanks for the tip. I do a similar thing but run tissue paper over the wrist pin clip just to check for burrs.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #3554
Tech Apprentice

Hi Mr Uriah

Please give us your opinion about the O.S. 2101 .21 Mod and unmod engine . Have you test it? How does it go?

Thks in advance.
Luís Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #3555
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luís Cortez View Post
Hi Mr Uriah

Please give us your opinion about the O.S. 2101 .21 Mod and unmod engine . Have you test it? How does it go?

Thks in advance.
The modified engine is very fast. The stock engine is pretty good too. The mod has very good bottom end power, and a lot more top end than stock.