R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 12-03-2003, 06:46 PM   #211
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Paolo M
AFM, where exactly do you find that for IFMAR events the turbo plug is allowed? At last 1/10 WC in Cincinnati (2002), turbo plug was not legal.
Paolo
IFMAR released new rules on November 2002. Those rules allowed turbo plugs.
IFMAR is now abot to release new rules. Articles 1.4 (engine specs) and 1.16 (body holes sizes) are to be changed.
Here is the engine info as in IFMAR site:

<quote>
N.B. Rule 1.4 is subject to change (awaiting IFMAR Postal Vote as at 11.11.03).

1.4 The use of .12 engines only will be permitted. They shall be air-cooled, with front rotary valve, two stroke induction. The engines may have a maximum of four (4) ports, including the exhaust port. No form of forced induction is allowed or any form of variable port timing. Only glow plug ignition is allowed. No holes in the piston and no additional holes in the liner. The carburettor size is to be 5.50mm. The exhaust port height is to be 4.50mm.
<end_quote>

I hope they don't adopt EFRA turbo scop limitations

c'ya
Fernando_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:50 PM   #212
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernando_M
The exhaust port height is to be 4.50mm.
<end_quote>

c'ya
What is procedure to mesure exhaust height in IFMAR. Is there written procedure somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 06:51 PM   #213
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
You are right Motorman, the Euros were an EFRA sanctioned event and the rules are as follows:

EFRA RULES FOR 1/10th I.C. 200MM CLASS
1.4 It's only permitted to use .12 engines. They shall be air-cooled, with from┐nt rotary valve, two stroke induction. Teh engines may have a maximun of four (4) ports, including the exhaust port. No form of forced induction is allowed or any form of variable port timing. Only glow plug ignition is allowed. No holes in the piston and no additional holes in the liner. The maximum carburator size is 5.50mm. Standard and conical glow plugs allowed. The crankshaft hole shall have a maximun diameter of 7.00mm at is end. The hole can be finished with a continous unbroken chamfer with a maximum width of .50mm if this is required for manufacturing purposes at the crank web end. (Crankshaft drawing equal to one on page 141 for the 1/10 IC Track Class)
1.5 Maximun engine capacity- .12 (2.11cc) only.
1.6 Engine internal modifications are allowed as long as they are within the parameters of rules 1.4 and 1.5.

So resuming:
EFRA rules don't permit crank scoops. Yes to Turbo Glow Plugs.
ROAR rules permit crank scoops. No Turbo Glow Plugs.
IFMAR rules permit crank scoops. Yes to Turbo Glow Plugs.

Lets hope that all sanctioning bodies get to a standard set of rules allowing both crank scoops and Turbo Glow Plugs.

AFM
EFRA does allow crankshaft scoops. The limitation is that it should not touch the crankshaft hole.
Here is a picture of a NovaMega EFRA legal chankshaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crankshaft.jpg (6.8 KB, 542 views)
Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 PM   #214
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
What is procedure to mesure exhaust height in IFMAR. Is there written procedure somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
I haven't seen any written procedure. However, I was told that in the worlds in Cincinnati 2002 the measure was taken from the piston lower dead point to the top of the exhaust port.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:09 PM   #215
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
Thanks in advance.
The exhaust port height is considered to be the distance from the crown of the piston to the uppermost point of the exhaust port measured with the piston at the bottom dead centre of its stroke.

Nothing written on exactly how to measure it, however a Tool can be made to help check it. The tool is basically just a turned piece of derlin or ally, with a handle. Its easy to make one if you have access to a lathe. Just turn it to the diameter that will allow easy insertion into the sleve, without damaging the sleve. Face it off to 4.5mm

Then it is just a case of removing the head, putting the piston at BDC inserting the tool, and if you can see daylight from the exhaust port then it is not legal.

See the atachment for a dodgy paint drawing of what the tool looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust tool.jpg (6.2 KB, 496 views)
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:08 AM   #216
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: NSR5

Quote:
Originally posted by tIANcI
He must be a busy man, I PM him before and he says that he think NS or NSR 5 ports would be great to do up.

tIANcI, thanks for the above ...
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 02:13 AM   #217
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: NSR5

Quote:
Originally posted by Grinder
Slow and Steady, I do respond to all of my emails, sometimes it takes a little while. Yes I have modified NSR 5 ports and they are extremely fast. If you don't have to race 3 port this is the fastest motor right now. I am not sure about the RR12L3 yet, I should be testing one of those in the near future. Any one had experience with it yet?

Grinder, its Sow&Steady because I'm "Slow" without the "L". Its an internal joke but I'll explain to you via PM or email.

The same email will also contain an order for 2 NSR5's with your magic engraved all over!

Please be quick!

Cheers.
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:15 AM   #218
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
The exhaust port height is considered to be the distance from the crown of the piston to the uppermost point of the exhaust port measured with the piston at the bottom dead centre of its stroke.

Nothing written on exactly how to measure it, however a Tool can be made to help check it. The tool is basically just a turned piece of derlin or ally, with a handle. Its easy to make one if you have access to a lathe. Just turn it to the diameter that will allow easy insertion into the sleve, without damaging the sleve. Face it off to 4.5mm

Then it is just a case of removing the head, putting the piston at BDC inserting the tool, and if you can see daylight from the exhaust port then it is not legal.

See the atachment for a dodgy paint drawing of what the tool looks like.
Thanks a lot for explanation. I have heard about this tool already. Iti s realy right tool from my point of view. I was just wondering if there some special written procedure. For instance, ROAR rull sais-it should be use inductrial grade digital or dial caliper. This is why I have asked this question.
I think this insrt tool is best way to check height of the exhaust port.
DISCLAIMER: Since 90% of my posts may be BS, and since my posts may be either insanely idiotic, incoherent, and/or not even close to a rational thought, please accord my posts no more than 10% of credibility.
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

IFMAR rules for 200mm dont actually state how to measure, not where the measurements are actually taken, however, the 235mm rules go into a little more detail, but still not how to.

In my opinion, this is the only real way to measure. I dont know how ROAR expects you to get a caliper in there to measure, and usind a caliper to measure the actual port "height" with the sleve is inaccurate, as it doesnt take piston height at BDC into account. For instance, in some engines, the piston sits higher than the lower edge of the port.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 PM   #220
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What I heard they did at the Nationals at Revelation, was that they used a laser gage and measured from the BDC to the point at which the piston closed the port.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP Palmaris Racing
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:11 PM   #221
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrodude
What I heard they did at the Nationals at Revelation, was that they used a laser gage and measured from the BDC to the point at which the piston closed the port.

Thanks,

Steven Muller
MPP Palmaris Racing
I was there,they did not use a laser. They used a sort of caliper that measured the piston at BDC and they turned the crank over until the piston covered the top of the exhaust port. As long as their caliper was read than 4.5mm you passed.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:09 PM   #222
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The biggest problem with their measurement method was using a light inside the cylinder. They considered the exhaust port closed with the piston went up enough to block the light. They started with the light too bright and failed a lot of stock out of the box engines. The next day they turned down the brightness of the lamp which allowed a lot if not all of the stock motors to pass. Personally, I didn't agree with the use of a light since they are supposed to measure from the top of the piston. The light didn't allow for any kind of small nicks or grooves in the corner of the piston (yeah, I know that wouldn't be optimum).
Surge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 07:30 PM   #223
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

I just bought a new RR12L5 and I was wondering if anyone has looked at these engines yet for modifying? Also are modified engines harder to tune or just more sensitive to needle setting changes? Thanx guys.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 11:25 PM   #224
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine
Talking check out the new 2 cylinder

This is a new 2 cylinder avatar

Last edited by Slotmachine; 12-05-2003 at 11:36 PM.
Slotmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 12:04 AM   #225
Tech Master

Default Re: check out the new 2 cylinder

Quote:
Originally posted by Slotmachine
This is a new 2 cylinder avatar
Nice rotary action ... look very smooth
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote