R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 11-27-2003, 06:49 PM   #181
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
Uriah,

is that crank scoop supposed to be ROAR legal?
Yes, it is ROAR legal. I used very similar engines at the sedan nationals this year and they all passed tech. However, this engine is not IFMAR legal. I spoke with the ROAR officials at the nats and they don't care about crankshafts, just that the engine has 3 intake ports and one exhaust port that is less than 4.5mm tall, and no turbo glowplugs. Although, I think we will all be able to use turbo plugs in Ft. Myers next year at the winternats. Paolo I find the aluminum sleeve to be harder to work with than the brass, the aluminum is a good bit harder, but yes when raising the exhaust port I find it to be softer.

http://murnanmodified.5u.com
Old 11-27-2003, 07:01 PM   #182
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to mtx3racer Send a message via AIM to mtx3racer

Grinder do you have any pics of the exhaust port for a rossi pixi?
mtx3racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:55 AM   #183
Tech Addict

Hay Grinder i got a Brand new D5 coming very soon. i was wondering if you would mod it for me.
Thunder racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 02:23 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Grinder
Yes, it is ROAR legal. I used very similar engines at the sedan nationals this year and they all passed tech. However, this engine is not IFMAR legal. I spoke with the ROAR officials at the nats and they don't care about crankshafts, just that the engine has 3 intake ports and one exhaust port that is less than 4.5mm tall, and no turbo glowplugs. Although, I think we will all be able to use turbo plugs in Ft. Myers next year at the winternats. Paolo I find the aluminum sleeve to be harder to work with than the brass, the aluminum is a good bit harder, but yes when raising the exhaust port I find it to be softer.

http://murnanmodified.5u.com
Grinder,
Where is this engine not IFMAR legal?
My understanding is that as long as it has 3 ports and 4.5mm exhaust port height, it's OK.
Turbo plugs are now legal and they don't care about the crank scoop or modding the rear of the inner crank hole.

Paolo M,
What are these new IFMAR engine rules.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:22 AM   #185
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Grinder,
My understanding is that as long as it has 3 ports and 4.5mm exhaust port height, it's OK.
Turbo plugs are now legal and they don't care about the crank scoop or modding the rear of the inner crank hole.

Paolo M,
I guess that it's IFMAR legal too.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #186
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Grinder,

Paolo M,
Actually are not new rules, but an update of the actual ones. Still no words from them. We hope that they allowe turbo plug. This way everybody will run the same. About the scoop, still donīt know. Efra has a lot of limitation for the scoop. We will wait and see what happen
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 03:55 PM   #187
afm
Tech Master

Concerning IFMAR rules, this are the present ones, and i don't see how they can change backwards, so turbo plugs are allowed and crank scoops also. As a matter of fact, any internal modifications adjusted to rule 1.4. Please read.

GENERAL RULES FOR IFMAR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

1.l0.1
World Championship rules must be distributed at least twelve (12) months prior to the event. Any proposed amendments must be received by IFMAR at least eight (8) months prior to the event.

1.l0.2
No change to the rules or homologations will be permitted within four (4) months of a World Championship event, irrespective of the Section. Any rule changes (due to blatant errors, unforeseen circumstances or urgent matters) during the period of four (4) months prior to the event may be made with a unanimous vote of the voting member Blocs.

I.F.M.A.R. 1/10TH I.C. 200mm NITRO TOURING CAR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP RULES
1.4 The use of .12 engines only will be permitted. They shall be air-cooled, with front rotary valve, two-stroke induction. The engines may have a maximum of four (4) ports, including the exhaust port. No form of forced induction is allowed or any form of variable port timing. Only glow plug ignition is allowed. No holes in the piston and no additional holes in the liner. The carburetor venturi size is to be 5.50mm. The exhaust port height is to be 4.50mm.
1.5 Engine capacity is to be maximum .12 (2.11cc) only.
1.7 Engine internal modifications are allowed as long as they are within the parameters of Rules 1.4 and 1.5.

Hope it helps
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:19 PM   #188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There was a restriction on turbo scoops at the euros this year, However I believe it was an EFRA deal not an IFMAR deal. they specifically limited the turbo scoop entering into the tunnel. I made special provisions for the Tean Mugen UK engines I built for that reason.

Would be nice if they would all get on the same page.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:24 PM   #189
Tech Adept

Hey Motorman ,When can I send you a motor
tennessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:41 PM   #190
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you already know the answer to that. DUH You gonna drag yer ass out from under that stone and git back to business??
Old 11-29-2003, 12:25 AM   #191
afm
Tech Master

You are right Motorman, the Euros were an EFRA sanctioned event and the rules are as follows:

EFRA RULES FOR 1/10th I.C. 200MM CLASS
1.4 It's only permitted to use .12 engines. They shall be air-cooled, with fromŋnt rotary valve, two stroke induction. Teh engines may have a maximun of four (4) ports, including the exhaust port. No form of forced induction is allowed or any form of variable port timing. Only glow plug ignition is allowed. No holes in the piston and no additional holes in the liner. The maximum carburator size is 5.50mm. Standard and conical glow plugs allowed. The crankshaft hole shall have a maximun diameter of 7.00mm at is end. The hole can be finished with a continous unbroken chamfer with a maximum width of .50mm if this is required for manufacturing purposes at the crank web end. (Crankshaft drawing equal to one on page 141 for the 1/10 IC Track Class)
1.5 Maximun engine capacity- .12 (2.11cc) only.
1.6 Engine internal modifications are allowed as long as they are within the parameters of rules 1.4 and 1.5.

So resuming:
EFRA rules don't permit crank scoops. Yes to Turbo Glow Plugs.
ROAR rules permit crank scoops. No Turbo Glow Plugs.
IFMAR rules permit crank scoops. Yes to Turbo Glow Plugs.

Lets hope that all sanctioning bodies get to a standard set of rules allowing both crank scoops and Turbo Glow Plugs.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:01 PM   #192
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Hi Grinder,

Excellent work on Your engine.
u widened and polished the carb opening? did U also open the carb inlet? is it 5.5mm or 6.0mm?

Thanks in advance
spyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #193
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Hi Grinder,

Excellent work on Your engine.
u widened and polished the carb opening,Right? did U also open the carb inlet? is it 5.5mm or 6.0mm?

Thanks in advance
spyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 02:37 AM   #194
Tech Master

His motors are ROAR legal, so obviously not 6mm carb throat opening.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:16 PM   #195
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Concerning IFMAR rules, this are the present ones, and i don't see how they can change backwards, so turbo plugs are allowed and crank scoops also. As a matter of fact, any internal modifications adjusted to rule 1.4. Please read.

GENERAL RULES FOR IFMAR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

1.l0.1
World Championship rules must be distributed at least twelve (12) months prior to the event. Any proposed amendments must be received by IFMAR at least eight (8) months prior to the event.

1.l0.2
No change to the rules or homologations will be permitted within four (4) months of a World Championship event, irrespective of the Section. Any rule changes (due to blatant errors, unforeseen circumstances or urgent matters) during the period of four (4) months prior to the event may be made with a unanimous vote of the voting member Blocs.

I.F.M.A.R. 1/10TH I.C. 200mm NITRO TOURING CAR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP RULES
1.4 The use of .12 engines only will be permitted. They shall be air-cooled, with front rotary valve, two-stroke induction. The engines may have a maximum of four (4) ports, including the exhaust port. No form of forced induction is allowed or any form of variable port timing. Only glow plug ignition is allowed. No holes in the piston and no additional holes in the liner. The carburetor venturi size is to be 5.50mm. The exhaust port height is to be 4.50mm.
1.5 Engine capacity is to be maximum .12 (2.11cc) only.
1.7 Engine internal modifications are allowed as long as they are within the parameters of Rules 1.4 and 1.5.

Hope it helps
AFM
AFM, where exactly do you find that for IFMAR events the turbo plug is allowed? At last 1/10 WC in Cincinnati (2002), turbo plug was not legal.
Paolo M is offline   Reply With Quote