R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Hello tuning question real quick thanks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/160072-hello-tuning-question-real-quick-thanks.html)

DriveToLive 04-22-2007 07:56 AM

Hello tuning question real quick thanks

My son just bought the RS4 3 the new 350z and I was wondering if someone could tell me a good setup for just everyday parking lot bashing.....

I need to know how many turns out from closed on all the settings.....

I have it tuned nicely for first gear but as soon as it wants second it bogs out and shuts off unless I let go. I have a nice thin line of blue smoke coming out. Very responsive in first. and sounds mean as hell.

Dante`

ziggy12345 04-22-2007 11:36 AM

Cant tell if its too lean or too rich. Open the needle 1/2 a turn and try again. If its worse go the other way

cheers

Dredd 04-22-2007 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DriveToLive
My son just bought the RS4 3 the new 350z and I was wondering if someone could tell me a good setup for just everyday parking lot bashing.....

I need to know how many turns out from closed on all the settings.....

I have it tuned nicely for first gear but as soon as it wants second it bogs out and shuts off unless I let go. I have a nice thin line of blue smoke coming out. Very responsive in first. and sounds mean as hell.

Dante`

This sounds like it's lean. At the top end the engine is starving for fuel. I'd open up the high end needle 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn and run it again. See what happens there.

Rookie 4.6 04-22-2007 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dredd
This sounds like it's lean. At the top end the engine is starving for fuel. I'd open up the high end needle 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn and run it again. See what happens there.

I agree with Dredd, sounds lean. Sounds like the LS needle is set ok which gives you the nice stream of smoke up until the HS needle kicks in. The engine can also bog if the HS needle is too rich.. Try turning the HS needle anticlockwise 1/4 of a turn at a time(remember where the original setting is). If you dont get a result after doing this 3-4 times go back to the original setting you had and try leaning the HS turning it clockwise.

Hope this helps, good luck...............

DriveToLive 04-23-2007 02:02 PM

Ok not sure which is what after this chance I toke but it seems to be running nice now but second is kicking in to soon it seems. Its not bogging out anymore and I think I hear it shifting like 2-4 seconds after full throttling it. I closed it and open it to 1.5 turns out........I will throw a temp gauge on it soon since I am in florida....any temp I do not want to exceed or fall under....

P.s. in the mist of me doing this I seemed have found a nice little bump in the road. Meaning I managed to Re-enact a professional touring car crash...lol I felt like the pros after landing lol...i must have flipped it 30 times before coming to a complete stop........

Dredd 04-23-2007 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DriveToLive
Ok not sure which is what after this chance I toke but it seems to be running nice now but second is kicking in to soon it seems. Its not bogging out anymore and I think I hear it shifting like 2-4 seconds after full throttling it. I closed it and open it to 1.5 turns out........I will throw a temp gauge on it soon since I am in florida....any temp I do not want to exceed or fall under....

P.s. in the mist of me doing this I seemed have found a nice little bump in the road. Meaning I managed to Re-enact a professional touring car crash...lol I felt like the pros after landing lol...i must have flipped it 30 times before coming to a complete stop........

Every engine is different so temperature should not be a concern. If you get smoke at full throttle (even a little) and the engine doesn't want to die or cutout after prolonged runs at high speed, and the engine does not have a white smoke comming from the glow plug area it's ok. Most engines will do their best between 210F and 270F. Like I said, every engine is different so 230 on one engine may be perfect and 260 on another may be good. I personally run my engine close to 260. As for the 2speed engaging too soon mine will do that on occation too. It's based on RPMs so if your engine revs to high RPM really quickly or it is already spinning up when you hit the throttle hard, it will seem to shift quick. 2-4 seconds isn't bad really. If you want less or more you have to adjust the 2speed spring tension nut. Clockwise = tightening it and shifting later, counter clockwise = loosening the nut and shifting sooner. Only turn it like a 1/8 turn at a time or maybe less than that. Run a few passes to see the difference each time.

DriveToLive 04-30-2007 03:31 AM

Thank you we have it down now. Thanks for the help