Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hobao Hyper .12

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Regular

this was my first engine and man it was very hard to figure it out(i never did by the way) the engine just has one needle on the carburator which you are allowed to touch, its the HSN, it has no LSN, and in the end you have to mess up with the middle range which you shouldnt to get it right.... the power is ok but for me it was one of the worst engines i have ever tried to tune....
Old 01-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blee
You may use Novarossi carburetor and 100% compatible.

I modified around ten Hyper-12 engines years ago and shared with friends, the performance is not bad (I used Novarossi carburetor).

If my memory is not wrong, conrod of Hyper 12 is same Novarossi 7600.

Did you have any sealing issues? I have had 3 and they were all great for bashing, but when I tried racing for 5 min. on the track they all would lean out, run hot and the carb would boil the fuel and push it back into the tank.
I felt that for a srock RTR motor it had very good power and the pipe that the GPX comes with seemed decent. I am some what new to RC (about 1 1/2 years) but that is what I observed.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by godzukihop
Did you have any sealing issues? I have had 3 and they were all great for bashing, but when I tried racing for 5 min. on the track they all would lean out, run hot and the carb would boil the fuel and push it back into the tank.
I felt that for a srock RTR motor it had very good power and the pipe that the GPX comes with seemed decent. I am some what new to RC (about 1 1/2 years) but that is what I observed.

I don't have any issue since I used Novarossi carburetor.

For my earlier testing on original carburetor, some were ok but some were difficult to tune. However, using Nova carb is better.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by blee
I don't have any issue since I used Novarossi carburetor.

For my earlier testing on original carburetor, some were ok but some were difficult to tune. However, using Nova carb is better.
you have a PM
Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Hi,
You could also use a LRP/Nosram carb I use one in my Hyper 12's and it worked great.............
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by godzukihop
you have a PM
Replied.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Os Carb!

Hi

Just wanted to let you know that the OS Carb does not fit onto the Hyper 12 from the Os Tz

The Insulator makes it too large and it will not go into the crank case. As a comparison, it should just drop in like it does with the OS Crankcase.

Guess i just did $70usd as i don't have a Novarossi carb i can use on it
Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Undies
Hi

Just wanted to let you know that the OS Carb does not fit onto the Hyper 12 from the Os Tz

The Insulator makes it too large and it will not go into the crank case. As a comparison, it should just drop in like it does with the OS Crankcase.

Guess i just did $70usd as i don't have a Novarossi carb i can use on it

OS crab is not fit since the carb neck diameter is 13mm.

Hyper 12 is same as Novarossi...... 12mm.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hyper .12

Hi all, just wanted to add my 2cents worth, I have found the Hyper .12 a good motor, but it can be tempermental. One day it can start first time and run happily, the next time it can be a real bitch!! The thing is I don't know why it does this, I don't think it has anything to do with the temp of the day or anything like that. It just refuses to play the game sometimes. But in saying that, once you have the tune in the sweet spot, yeah it goes alright. I have an LRP performance pipe on it now, bit hard to say if it helps or not. I'm using " std" fuel though. Mind you, when it's at full throttle coming down the back straight it sounds pretty good! I find you have to as you come out of the cnr onto the straight, you line it up and gunn it!! It does have it's own sound I think.
Hobao don't seem to be supporting it anymore, it hardy rates a mention on their web site. So I guess i'll just keep running it 'till it dies and get something else.
Good Racing to you ,
Cheers
Old 02-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi

I just wanted to let you know that i have now installed a Novarossi carby onto my Hyper 12 and i started to run it in today using Josh Cyruls WOT methord.

I have now done 8 tanks and am ready to hit the track with it. I am going to have to give it a good clean first though as the car is totally covered in oil thanks to a broken header spring.

I hope it plays ball when i get to the track... It might not be a few weeks yet as work always gets in the way
Old 02-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi

I was able to run another two tanks through motor today. It is really starting to come alive with this Novarossi carby, i think i am almost at race tune!

Undies
Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Undies
Hi

I was able to run another two tanks through motor today. It is really starting to come alive with this Novarossi carby, i think i am almost at race tune!

Undies
Well i did another two tanks at the local car park tis morning and i have fell victim to the i don't want to play ball scenario. It worked fine yesterday afternoon, today i had to readjust both HSN and LSN to get it to run for a full tank.

The LSN still seems very rich as lack of bottom end punch, but i am worried about going to lean:S

Also have noticed alot of oil around flywheel bottom of the carby, so it looks like the front bearing is leaking!

Get what you pay for i guess...
Old 02-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Hyper 12 Problems

I solved the Carby heat problem by sanding down the carby a bit and putting a smear of silicon between carby and block. I now have no heat transfer problems.
My only problem now is idling. Top end is great but the dam thing is so bad on idle. Have tested many brand plugs from cold to medium to hot to very hot. Engine runs well on RB P7 - it screams of power - but dies at idle. My OS Tz Spec II is easy to tune, very powerful and idles well. My Hyper 12 just won't Idle. I have change bearings - with no outcome

Last edited by trev8322; 03-01-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hyper .12 aftermarket parts

Hi, does anyone know if a Turbo button is available for the Hyper .12?
I've been advised to try to get one, it should make all the difference apparently.

BTW, I have tried to tune it very lean while it's running, and sure it screams at high revs. But it does seem to have trouble starting at that setting, I think you have to richen it up again to get it to start, then lean it off again before you hit the track.

I tried it at this very lean setting for a little bit, and the whole character of the engine changed, it was changing gear at a different point, and it went like a scalded cat! The potential at that setting is interesting, it requires more tuning/gearing as the back straight isn't long enough now
The thing is of course is how long will the engine put up with that?
Cheers
Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It depends on how lean it is, if it is to lean then it will GO BOOOOOOOM, basicly it shouldnt be over 120c.

Mitchell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.