R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Mid Budget Racer .12 (what to buy?) os or nova (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/158886-mid-budget-racer-12-what-buy-os-nova.html)

mrwilson 04-14-2007 07:41 AM

Mid Budget Racer .12 (what to buy?) os or nova

Im thinking of going... racing..

i have messed with parking lots.. and streets.. and i want to go a bit serious on this.. :D

Im a bit confused..

what i am searcing for is... speed and durability... .12 Engine

Any suggestions?

i am looking at:

1) 12TZ (P) T3 Speed Tuned Engine
Displacement: 2.1 cc
Bore: 0.54 in (13.8 mm)
Stroke: 0.55 in (14.0 mm)
Output: 1.65 ps @ 34,400 rpm
Practical rpm range: 5,000-43,000
Weight w/o muffler: 7.9 oz (224.5 g)

2) Nova PLUS12-3CT
Displacement: 2.09 cm3
Maximum power: 1.60 hp
R.P.M. (M.P.) 41.400 rpm
Practical Range: 6.000 - 42.200 rpm
Bore x Stroke: 13.70 mm x 14.25 mm
Ports nr.: 3
Piston type: Microcasted
Crankshaft Ø: 11.50 mm
Crankshaft Type :TURBO/SG
Glow Plug Type: Turbo

Im still new to the hobby... but.. i want an engine that i can depend on.. :D speed and durability...

also.. with the type of engine.. (assuming that i dont lean it that much..) how mny gal of gas.. can i consume.. before it starts to break.. replace.. this.. that.. etc.. (anyone got experience on the engines above?)

dont want to commit an expensive mistake.. :( help pls..

Tnx in advance!

TomB 04-14-2007 07:50 AM

the nova is almost double of what the OS costs.

on a large permanent track, the nova will kill the OS, but on a small track, and with beginner/intermiediate skills the power difference won't be noticed, so go the OS. I JUST NOTICED YOU SAID OS SPEED, just go with the standard OS TZ dude... ;) , you can get 2 OS TZ 3 ports for the price of one speed, or just go the 5 port OS TZ, mad engine ;)

the nova is the motor of choice at the moment for most high end racers on fast flowing high grip/ or large tracks. Sirio is also a great engine, but again, if you race on a small track save the cash, go with the OS.

i'd recommend the novarossi 2630 pipe with the medium or long header. This pipe i found, frees up the engine and gives excellent punch as well as top end.

thunderbt3 04-14-2007 07:53 AM

Go OS. I was in the same situation as you at the beginning of last season. I got the stock OS TZ .12, non speed tuned. Best bang for the buck.

fritzD 04-14-2007 07:59 AM

OS TZ!!! It's a rocket out of the box and still user friendly. :D

mrwilson 04-14-2007 08:02 AM

Tnx guys...

im also.. a bit.. scared.. "speed tuned" as it may be fragile (is this a myth? or for real..) (my friend got a 5 port 12 tz.. i dont know.. but.. it is screwed up.. like hell.. it run well.. but.. after half a gal.. then it got ugly.. - diff story..)

anyways..

12TZ
3-needle 11M rotary carb
Standard 0.128
(2.1 cc) 0.543
(13.8 mm) 0.551
(14 mm) 7.9
(225 g) 1.5 @ 33,500

is it durable?

maintenance tips?

also.. i use.. sidewinder on my rtr.. :D

mrwilson 04-14-2007 08:05 AM

Fritzd - OS TZ!!! It's a rocket out of the box and still user friendly.

yes.. i have been reading the website also... :p

fritzD 04-14-2007 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mrwilson
Tnx guys...

im also.. a bit.. scared.. "speed tuned" as it may be fragile (is this a myth? or for real..) (my friend got a 5 port 12 tz.. i dont know.. but.. it is screwed up.. like hell.. it run well.. but.. after half a gal.. then it got ugly.. - diff story..)

anyways..

12TZ
3-needle 11M rotary carb
Standard 0.128
(2.1 cc) 0.543
(13.8 mm) 0.551
(14 mm) 7.9
(225 g) 1.5 @ 33,500

is it durable?

maintenance tips?

It's very durable. Mine lasted for 7 months. THe reason why it only lasted for 7 months is because i didnt inspect and replace the conrod. It stil had a tight compression but i broke the piston because the conrod had a lot of play on the crankshaft. From what I think, if you inspect and replace the conrod when neccesary, it can last for more than a year. :D

Serpentd 04-14-2007 09:58 AM

Tnx guys...

anyways..

12TZ
3-needle 11M rotary carb
Standard 0.128
(2.1 cc) 0.543
(13.8 mm) 0.551
(14 mm) 7.9
(225 g) 1.5 @ 33,500

is it durable?

maintenance tips?

A few things here bro. First I will agree with everyone in that you should get the TZ by OS. If properly maintained and more importantly ran in properly without EVER running extra lean, you should be able to get 5-6 gallons out of the piston and sleeve...Maybe even more. I would replace the con rod every 1-1.5 gallons. The important thing here is to run in your engine properly (break in). Do the "heat cycling" method. It takes longer to break in the engine, but will last much longer and also be much faster and more reliable. Also do frequent inspection and cleaning of your engine. Check the rod for excessive clearence on the crank and piston end. If it has ANY slop, that is excessive!! Should be replaced before it gets to this point. Use a caliper to measure the clearence.

Next, would be the cost difference between the Nova 12plus3 CT and OS TZ 3 port. A good price for the TZ is about $200 and the Nova is about $300. Just wanted to clear this up as the Nova is not TWICE as much. If you can run the 5 port TZ, I just saw it on sale at Towerhobbies for about $160!!! Just a heads up. Good luck. It is also recommended to use after run oil in your engines after each day of racing. I personally don't, but I think depending on your climate it would be a good idea. Dude, good luck and Keep off the boards. It's different driving on a track. ;)

nickiphorosn 04-14-2007 10:45 AM

haow many litres is a gallon of fuel.whaen you say 1-1.5 gallon how is this compared to litres of fuel?

Wayne1one 04-14-2007 11:06 AM

Fritzd - OS TZ!!! It's a rocket out of the box and still user friendly.

:nod:

Serpentd 04-14-2007 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by nickiphorosn
haow many litres is a gallon of fuel.whaen you say 1-1.5 gallon how is this compared to litres of fuel?

It's about 4 liters equals a gallon. So replace rod every 4-6 liters. :)

mugendude 04-14-2007 03:40 PM

if he is willing to pay for the plus 12 i would get that much better engine

rcrevolution 04-14-2007 06:24 PM

would you consider a Picco JLR "Red-Dot" for $179?

GHETTOTEACHER 04-14-2007 09:06 PM

If you are new to the RC game, I would stick to the OS. brand engine. They are very easy to set and have very good reliability. The poweband is mild and have good RPM. I see many guys at the track who tell me that they have not touched their needles and have seen the tempretures that they run are in the very low 200 range.
Prices for a OS are cheaper than Novarossi.

fritzD 04-14-2007 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
If you are new to the RC game, I would stick to the OS. brand engine. They are very easy to set and have very good reliability. The poweband is mild and have good RPM. I see many guys at the track who tell me that they have not touched their needles and have seen the tempretures that they run are in the very low 200 range.
Prices for a OS are cheaper than Novarossi.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: