Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF >

New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF

I just bought this Orion wasp .12 crf engine last week brand new and broke it in friday and after about 4 to 5 tanks I noticed a bad wet spot on the lower part of the carb area above the flywheel then saturday I race at our local track and that is when I notice the whole lower engine was wet and all around the flywheel area along everywhere else in that area. I called Team Orion tuesday and was told they have no issues with front bearings and I would have to buy a new or send the engine for them to see, I really dont wanna send the engine when I could install it my self, and be out a engine for a week or so..

Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you may just be too rich on your needle settings
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Initiate

None of my CRF engines got the fuel leaking problem ...
The pics didn't show clearly your needle settings ... but apparently you might be running a bit too agressive on slow speed needle setting with which you might need to set the high speed needle on the rich side in order to keep the engine running within a "safe" temperature range.

Suggest you to reset your needle settings (I set the slow speed needle of my CRF engines much richer than yours ... I could see the slow speed needle set screw of my CRF engine from the bird view; I am very agreesive on the high speed needle setting though).

If the leaking problem persists after you reset the needles, Team Orion should get you a replacement front bearing or other parts which caused the leak ...
Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MANINTHEMUGEN
you may just be too rich on your needle settings
I dont think that was the problem, because it runs great and right at 215-220 with plenty of smoke one the straight the only problem I had with the engine was it was hard to strart after the engine cooled, I would have to have the throttle at wot and afte a few sec it would finally start up..
we will see what happens I am going to change the bearing and try it again, it just sucks because it is a band new engine and I have never had this problem with other engines
Old 03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Keith_TBB
None of my CRF engines got the fuel leaking problem ...
The pics didn't show clearly your needle settings ... but apparently you might be running a bit too agressive on slow speed needle setting with which you might need to set the high speed needle on the rich side in order to keep the engine running within a "safe" temperature
I dont have a problem with the engine idleing and the engine runs at a very good temperature very over 230 and thats using exergen, its just leaking eal bad and very hard to start when cooled off, here are the needle settings tell me what you think;

Old 03-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Tech Initiate

This is my needle settings for your reference. The fuel I used was Odonnel 30% & the head shim of my engine was 0.4 mm.
Attached Thumbnails New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF-p1060524.jpg   New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF-p1060528.jpg   New Leaking Orion Wasp .12 CRF-p1060529.jpg  
Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

it's hard to tell from the picture. can you clean it up and put tons of after run oil in the engine, if the oil is coming out between inner race of bearing and crankshaft, you might have a bad apple that slip thru the QC. If oil is leaking out of the between the inner race of bearing and the plastic sheild of bearing, you got a bearing problem.
If there is no immediate leak or no sign of leakage in an hour, it's probably from running too rich on the bottom end.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Tech Regular

i will try that tomm I will fill it up and let it sit, and we will see what happens before i change the bearing,
btw: this has no updated carb parts
Old 03-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
i will try that tomm I will fill it up and let it sit, and we will see what happens before i change the bearing,
btw: this has no updated carb parts
Hey man, you need to get back to work!!
Old 03-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boner
it's hard to tell from the picture. can you clean it up and put tons of after run oil in the engine, if the oil is coming out between inner race of bearing and crankshaft, you might have a bad apple that slip thru the QC. If oil is leaking out of the between the inner race of bearing and the plastic sheild of bearing, you got a bearing problem.
If there is no immediate leak or no sign of leakage in an hour, it's probably from running too rich on the bottom end.
Well today I cleaned the engine real good and put after run oil in there and let it sit, I came back thirty min later and the after run oil was already leaking through the rubber seal, thank god it was not leaking at the crankshaft, here are some pics but they are not that close but you should get the picture, what should I now with Orion..

Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

from the new picture, it seem you have worned out seal around the inner race bearing. its possible it's cause by the tapper cone washer, put a shim between the bearing and the tapper cone washer next time to prevent premature wear/tear on the sheild.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by boner
from the new picture, it seem you have worned out seal around the inner race bearing. its possible it's cause by the tapper cone washer, put a shim between the bearing and the tapper cone washer next time to prevent premature wear/tear on the sheild.
how can you tell that, it looks like a wet spot around the inner race bearing and i used the cone it came with, sounds odd for a brand new engine with less than 15 tanks of fuel threw it, but it cool its just a bearing I will change it space it and see what happens, and does the carb update make a big difference
Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

MRX4,

Please email me at [email protected] and we will work out something to get the issue fixed.

I imagine that you already have the updated carb on your engine, if the carburator insert is conical then you have the new one, if the insert has a cup shape you have the old one.

Anyhow we have drivers that have no issues with the older version.

Nano
Old 03-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Nano email was sent, thanks for responding
Old 03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MRX4-R03
Well today I cleaned the engine real good and put after run oil in there and let it sit, I came back thirty min later and the after run oil was already leaking through the rubber seal, thank god it was not leaking at the crankshaft, here are some pics but they are not that close but you should get the picture, what should I now with Orion..

The after-run oil came out from the front bearing is normal if you put too much in. Since CRF have different design on crankshaft....... oil leaking may be happened more than other brands even you put same amount after-run oil to these different engines.

Every first time before you start a engine, you should take out the glow plug and bump the engine on start box and force all after-run oil out. Then you won't have oil leaking problem all along the whole day.

Actually a little bit of oil come out from front bearing is normal......... of course you may need a new bearing if too much oil leaking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.