R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Adding oil content to your fuel? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/151915-adding-oil-content-your-fuel.html)

randay 02-28-2007 04:26 PM

Adding oil content to your fuel?

If I have a bottle of Castor oil, and then some Nitro fuel with say, 10% oil content, and I want to up that content to 15% or 20% or what not, would it be possible? Can I just mix in the castor oil? Is it just straight up 1% of castor oil added is equal to 1%, or something else? Do I have to worry about mixing?

steelhawke 03-06-2007 08:47 PM

All I can say is the fuel is pre-made for nitro motors. Now mixing or adding stuff can be a good idea for racing comp. if you know exactly what your doing. But for a wise bet, spend the money and get what you want/and need off the batt. A can of fuel is cheaper than countless hours tryin' to tune a motor on garbage fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger 03-06-2007 10:18 PM

I wouldn't worry about adding any kind of additive to your fuel. Today's fuel has enough caster in them. If you want to use a fuel that has a high content of oil, try the werks fuel. Its really good fuel.

MassiveMods 03-07-2007 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by randay
If I have a bottle of Castor oil, and then some Nitro fuel with say, 10% oil content, and I want to up that content to 15% or 20% or what not, would it be possible? Can I just mix in the castor oil? Is it just straight up 1% of castor oil added is equal to 1%, or something else? Do I have to worry about mixing?

I guess the questions is what do you want to achieve by adding oil ? If you up the oil content with castor your fuel will run hotter and slow the engine down a little. High oil content fuels suit boat and plane engines because of their cooling . Anyway let us know why you want to do it , then we can better give you an answer ..

Cheers MM

randay 03-07-2007 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by MassiveMods
I guess the questions is what do you want to achieve by adding oil ? If you up the oil content with castor your fuel will run hotter and slow the engine down a little. High oil content fuels suit boat and plane engines because of their cooling . Anyway let us know why you want to do it , then we can better give you an answer ..

Cheers MM

Mostly for protection. How does higher oil content make the motor hotter?

steelhawke 03-13-2007 12:30 PM

Randay fuel makers have spent years and tons of money testing and perfecting fuels for todays nitros. Now by adding extra oil for protection you may unknownly damage the motor sooner than if you just used a good named pre-mix. If your motor is tuned correctly and not allowed to run to hot, it'll last a long,long time. Oil burns hotter than the methyl alcohol and nitromethane, now by adding more oil your combustion temp is going to go up accordingly. Which will make you have to richen more than should be needed, causing poor performance all around. In my years of playing with nitros of all sorts your asking for trouble by adding some "protection" to your fuel.....just don't do it