R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Team Orion CRF WASP Clutch Set for Serpent 720 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/145384-team-orion-crf-wasp-clutch-set-serpent-720-a.html)

Keith_TBB 01-18-2007 11:38 PM

Team Orion CRF WASP Clutch Set for Serpent 720

I've bought 5 Team Orion CRF WASP engines cos I really like it (it's easy to run in & most importantly it's the fastest .12 engine I ever tried).
Besides the engines, I also bought the Team Orion option clutch sets for Kyosho RRR & Serpent 720. I have to say that I have been very pleased with the performance delivered by the CRF engine & clutch set on my RRR; however, I was very disappointed with the CRF clutch set for 720 as 1st of all I found that the clutch shoe's way too big to be placed onto the clutch shoe holder properly (so I had to use force to press it onto holder); the other thing was that the inside diameter of the clutch spring's a bit too small (with respect to the flywheel holder), so there's no enough play for it to move freely after installation onto the flywheel holder ... (too bad I realised it after the clutch was burnt because of the "tilted" clutch spring ...
Just wonder if anyone here tried the Team Orion clutch set for S720 & had similiar experience as I did. I've switched back to use the Serpent's stock clutch set & everything's fine ...
I still have 1 NIB Team Orion clutch set for S720 but do not want to use it til I know how to use it properly ...
I tried to ask the same question at Team Orion official site but without any luck so far ... :cry:

Nano 01-22-2007 12:31 AM

Keith,

The original clutch parts have tolerances and so do our clutch parts. Unfortunately some brands have wider tolerances than others...

It is true that the fitting of the clutch shoe in the plate is pretty tight.

Here is what you can try :

- the coils on the extremities of the CRF spring can be slighty tighter, you can try to grind some material off the inside of these coils and then see if the spring fits.
- the plate that holds the clutch shoe has sharp edges which can cut into the shoe making it impossible to fit the shoe. You can try to file down these edges.
- the shoe itself has sharp edges, you can try filing down the edges of the side that inserts in the plate.

Hope this helps.

Keith_TBB 01-22-2007 06:28 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. But I will sell my NIB clutch set to someone who's willing to do the mod. I bought the product & expected it to work (without any mod)!

I'd like to make some suggestions to your company. When you guys decide to launch a new product, please make sure it's user friendly & most importantly it must work! My faith in CRF engines & therefore Team Orion's products was totally ruined in this case. I will NOT buy any new Team Orion's products without some proven success!

impalabob64 01-22-2007 01:19 PM

Suggestion

HEy,Kieth if im not mistaken when the CRF came out, the Co. did say that this engine ,is not for any racer, that does not hve time, to learn this motor,or learn the clutch setup.I hve nothing but great success with this engine ,agian i dont understand why ,people are having a hard time get this engine to perform at its best.

Artificial-I 01-22-2007 01:29 PM

Yeah bobby has a handle on that motor for sure , we have a tight track here in orlando and I saw it shooting around like nothing and this was pretty much the very beggining of the CRF coming out.

Also I see your running the 720 now. How do you like it? Congrats on the success.

- A.I (mike)

impalabob64 01-22-2007 01:46 PM

What up AI

Yeah ,720 is awsome car ,dude i got the chance run a Murnan CRF, boy let tell you it hard to controll, the power was insane :nod: :nod: get ready for winternats i got 2 720,s with 2CRF,s ready. :nod: :nod: :sneaky: :sneaky:

Keith_TBB 01-22-2007 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by impalabob64
HEy,Kieth if im not mistaken when the CRF came out, the Co. did say that this engine ,is not for any racer, that does not hve time, to learn this motor,or learn the clutch setup.I hve nothing but great success with this engine ,agian i dont understand why ,people are having a hard time get this engine to perform at its best.

My 720 did fly too with CRF engine but with Serpent's clutch set. I had no problem to tune the CRF engine, that's why I bought 5. Did you use Team Orion's clutch set? Can you share your clutch settings here please? Thanks!

Nano 01-23-2007 03:13 AM

Keith,

I'm sorry that you are having problems fitting the parts on your clutch. However this is only happening with one brand of cars... The CRF parts are Swiss made and have a very tight tolerance, the original parts surely have wider tolerances. These cars are not RTR's they come in kits made of hundreds parts, so each car kit might have it's own little quirks.

As you can see there are other people using the same car as you and are having no issues with their CRF clutch parts set. The CRF parts they use are 100% similar to yours.

Nano

Keith_TBB 01-23-2007 08:19 AM

If you guys knew Serpent had tolerance problem on their parts, why did you guys not release the clutch set together with flywheel holder & clutch shoe holder with tight tolerance so all parts fit one another? Or at least put a note in the clutch set packaging to advise users about the tolerance matter?

You said "the shoe itself has sharp edges, you can try filing down the edges of the side that inserts in the plate." How could a part of tight tolerance have sharp edges which require filing?

Sorry, I am not convinced. & I think it's not fair to put the blame on the car kit marker nor the end user ...

A good company should make products which are consumer-centric! Just my 2 cents!

blee 01-24-2007 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Keith_TBB
If you guys knew Serpent had tolerance problem on their parts, why did you guys not release the clutch set together with flywheel holder & clutch shoe holder with tight tolerance so all parts fit one another? Or at least put a note in the clutch set packaging to advise users about the tolerance matter?

You said "the shoe itself has sharp edges, you can try filing down the edges of the side that inserts in the plate." How could a part of tight tolerance have sharp edges which require filing?

Sorry, I am not convinced. & I think it's not fair to put the blame on the car kit marker nor the end user ...

A good company should make products which are consumer-centric! Just my 2 cents!

Hey brother, I always tell you don't be the first Mr. White (Mouse)........... they only have good clutch for Kyosho car as well known by folks for long time........ but you buy their weak one for your Serpent. It's your fault anyway......... ;)

Nano 01-24-2007 11:24 PM

I understand your point of view and I'm not trying to put the blame on anyone, I'm just pointing out facts. We are trying our best in delivering reliable products, the same products that we use ourselves and for our team. They are however products meant to replace exisisting parts and because of tolerances they could need some adjusting to fit (even if we do our best to avoid that).

The edge on the shoe is not sharp per se, what I meant is that that if you take a bit of material of that edge it could be easier to fit the shoe inside the plate.

I'm just trying to help Keith...

Keith_TBB 01-24-2007 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by blee
Hey brother, I always tell you don't be the first Mr. White (Mouse)........... they only have good clutch for Kyosho car as well known by folks for long time........ but you buy their weak one for your Serpent. It's your fault anyway......... ;)

I was really impressed by the new design of the CRF engine. So I bought a few more after tested the 1st one I got. However, I just can't believe that a good engine maker could also make a crappy option clutch set! If I lived in the States, I would have asked for a refund. Anyway a lesson learnt.

blee 01-25-2007 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Keith_TBB
I was really impressed by the new design of the CRF engine. So I bought a few more after tested the 1st one I got. However, I just can't believe that a good engine maker could also make a crappy option clutch set! If I lived in the States, I would have asked for a refund. Anyway a lesson learnt.

Yeah..... It's really a lesson to tell you don't be the first Mr. White next time. :lol: :lol:

Next time, you should do some homeworks before you buy new stuff. As their ad (on magazine) said Carbon 3200 Lipo could fit into Tamiya chassis (such as M03, M04, TL01)........ actually it's not true. It's too big and didn't fit into the battery slot of those Tamiya Chassis. I also fooled by them too, but lucky the battery could fit into another chassis. ;)

MrBlack 01-25-2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by blee
As their ad (on magazine) said Carbon 3200 Lipo could fit into Tamiya chassis (such as M03, M04, TL01)........ actually it's not true. It's too big and didn't fit into the battery slot of those Tamiya Chassis. I also fooled by them too, but lucky the battery could fit into another chassis. ;)

Actually I think you are completely wrong with this statement. The 3200 LiPo pits in the MO3, MO4 and TLO1 quite easily actually and as the person who runs the Tamiya Track here in the USA I see atleast 6 or more of the 3200 running in all of these chassis every weekend without any issues.

Infact Tamiya was almost going to make these Li-Po s legal for their TCS race as they fit so easily.

Please be careful before making statements that are un-true. We make sure not to write falshoods and we feel you should as well.

blee 01-25-2007 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Actually I think you are completely wrong with this statement. The 3200 LiPo pits in the MO3, MO4 and TLO1 quite easily actually and as the person who runs the Tamiya Track here in the USA I see atleast 6 or more of the 3200 running in all of these chassis every weekend without any issues.

Infact Tamiya was almost going to make these Li-Po s legal for their TCS race as they fit so easily.

Please be careful before making statements that are un-true. We make sure not to write falshoods and we feel you should as well.

I have both Orion and Peak carbon 3200. Both are cannot fit into my TL01 chassis since too big (of the cross section). Unless you cut or grind the edge, otherwise it won't fit into the chassis. Of course you may cut the chassis too.

I always visit Tamiya track too but I don't see folks put carbon lipo on thier monocoque chassis. If they do that, I believe the chassis has been modified or carbon case has been cut.

TCS only allow Orion Lipos (3200 and 4800) on F103GT class, not all classes. 3200 is too long for F103GT too, you have to cut off the battery holder or don't put the holders on the chassis.

Please do some homework before you post something next time. ;)