R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Tools for modding nitro engines (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/144163-tools-modding-nitro-engines.html)

Old Skool 01-11-2007 10:53 AM

Tools for modding nitro engines

Okay...got some spare time on my hands this winter and I'm finally ready to start modding some of my engines. I have a nice little collection of "patients" that I've gotten used from Ebay and other sources...a couple of O.S. CV .12's, a Dynamite .12, REX CX-12, and a Fantom FR .12. What I would like to do is start by lightly flowing the sleeve tranfer ports and cleaning up the crank. I don't want to do any serious stuff like changing port timing (at least not yet!). I don't intend to get the results that the experienced folk can produce, but hey, I have to start somwhere right? Back in the day I had one of Dennis Ritchey's first hand-modded RTU's. Still have it and I can see just what he did. Between that and the many engine modders here on this board, I've gotten inspired. I already have a Dremel, but want to know just what bits are recommended? Carbide? Diamond? Hmmm... :sneaky:

latemodel13 01-13-2007 06:10 AM

Bits

I just got done modding a 12 cv. I used the little blue stone that comes with the dremmel.I'll tell you what i did. I chucked the crank up in a drillpress And used the dremmel to open up the crankbore . Just don't get the bit too hot or it wiil break. Then i tapered the opening that comes out of the crank . I also put a teardrop on it. I then took the bearing out of the block and cleaned it up where the transfers are near the bearing. I also ground slots down the side of the sleeve to open up the transfers. Then i took the carb apart and opened up the bore to 6 mm . I doubled the head shims to .024 . I ran 30 % with an a5 plug and it really is fast.

MassiveMods 01-13-2007 01:53 PM

Hey Old Skool

You should go for it man ! Modding engines is so much fun, especially the first couple of engines , once you see and feel a difference that you created , the buzz is awesome ! Id recommend getting down to your local hardware and have a look at the Dremmell range of cutting tools. I wont recommend any because its a personal thing. But read up on the dremmell range and see what they do. Ive bought countless bits to see what they do and some sit on the box while others get used all the time.. Most good engines react to even small changes so there is a good chance youll get some results !

Cheers MM

Old Skool 01-14-2007 07:56 AM

Thanks fellas! :nod:

MRX4-R03 01-15-2007 08:39 PM

MASSIVE TOLD ME JUST GO GET A HAND FULL OF BITS AD USE THE ONES YOU LIKE....
GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN

FREAKAH 01-17-2007 02:25 AM

Check ebay for sets of carbide cutting bits. They're really cheap($20) with the long lasting quality of the hard to find $10 each Dremel carbide cutting bits and they come with several different shape tips. I only use them for the sleeve, piston and case though. Use the grinding stones at high speed for the crank.