Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

JL Racing .12

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think my friend also has very leaky jlr. I cant really find where its coming from....its litterally soaked in oil.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Addict

Well I finally got to run my car today and put it to the test. I must say that it is very impressive for only $180. This motor is a screamer and galloped down the backstretch when it hit second and start to climb in rpm's. Glad I bought an extra piston, sleeve and rod for it.

I see where some of u guys are having problems with fuel leakage, but haven't seen any sign of fuel anywhere on the motor during break-in or while running. Maybe u need to push down more on the carb b4 tightening or maybe not tighten too much to distort it.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 AM
Tech Elite

Well just ordered the ceramic boca bearing. Part # SMR616C-2YS-NB2. Thanks to AFM for providing those numbers. It only costs 9.99 for the front bearing so this is perfect. Hopefully it solves my problems. Ill let you guys know.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Kurt, glad to see your having success with the motor. I started to break mine in last week. Seems to have some real kick to it. I can't wait to start trading paint with you on the back straight.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I think my friend also has very leaky jlr. I cant really find where its coming from....its litterally soaked in oil.
Are you not running it way too Rich causing it to spit oil thru the front bearing.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Team Kamikaze
Are you not running it way too Rich causing it to spit oil thru the front bearing.
It was rich on the low-end. But during break-in. I saw a stream shooting around the carb area. Ive had some slight leaks before on other motors , but this is more of a flowing stream.

Then when trying to get the low-end nice and crisp this would usually make the motor have no smoke at all. Then when trying to adjust the hsn richer to get some smoke , the motor would be significantly slower on the straight. Basically acting loaded up.

Im going to give a call to ofna soon on this one if I cant resolve it.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Also what are your guys thoughts on the Skyline VR12 Plus pipe with this motor. From what I saw and was hearing its actually not such a good combo.

Has anyone had good success with the vr12 and this motor? What pipes are you having success with beyond the mega/idm pipe. Im also wondering if the ofna/picco pipe would work with this motor like a mega pipe would? They look similiar and it has the longer type header.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

when you measure the pipe and header it is not only the header that is longer. If you measure the pipe from the molding section to the end with the header conected it is about 6 to 7mm longer and that make a big difference. If you were to run the v12 plus, your best bet would be to use the nova long header 7 fin (i think). That will get the closest to the mega/picco pipe #2607. The 2607 with conical from mega is the best pipe for that motor. They is probably the same combo from idm, picco, offna, but I do not know the numbers on them.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Who carries the #2607 pipe?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dreddlox
Who carries the #2607 pipe?
It is a serpent/mega product.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Also what are your guys thoughts on the Skyline VR12 Plus pipe with this motor. From what I saw and was hearing its actually not such a good combo.

Has anyone had good success with the vr12 and this motor? What pipes are you having success with beyond the mega/idm pipe. Im also wondering if the ofna/picco pipe would work with this motor like a mega pipe would? They look similiar and it has the longer type header.
Artificial, use the mega pipe that DJ suggested.....not sure what the OFNA number is.

I had a similiar experience to yours with the engine not being able to tune properly and it turned out to be a piece of the exhaust gasket broke and blocked the pipe.

When tuning this engine, the bottom likes to be rich with lots of smoke. Just go slow with it and start off with a rich tune.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default leaking

Hi Guys,

Ive the same engine and I am very happy with the power. But I agree the other guys because the leaking problem is a bug. you can see some pictures. this was my first run with JL . You can see that the leaking is around the Ls needle.
Attached Thumbnails JL Racing .12-dsc00053.jpg   JL Racing .12-dsc00055.jpg  
Old 05-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

You know ROADRAGE correct? ask him about the JL/VR 12 combo, I believe he mentioned it to you before, in this thread on how this combo performed, and I think you actually saw how fast it is.

Read post #200 by roadrage.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Yah I wasnt sure what pipe he was running , but sure enough here is what he said.

"I use mega 7 cold plug and mega 2607 pipe. i think im the only one using this combo and its off the chain as you can see."

Sounds like the mega pipes are the way to go. But im wondering if the VR12 is doable with it. I hope so , but what I saw at the track was pretty dissapointing. I thought the vr12 was a good combo with it.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Tech Champion

Yah I wasnt sure what pipe he was running , but sure enough here is what he said.

"I use mega 7 cold plug and mega 2607 pipe. i think im the only one using this combo and its off the chain as you can see."

Sounds like the mega pipes are the way to go. But im wondering if the VR12 is doable with it. I hope so , but what I saw at the track was pretty dissapointing. I thought the vr12 was a good combo with it.
with a VR 12 you will have to use at least a medium NovaRossi conical header or the long conical header and you do make more run time with the VR 12 pipe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.