Wiki Posts
Search

Picco 12 exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Picco 12 exhaust manifold

I have a question regarding my Picco 12 3R. I'm new to 1/10 onroad, but have many years in 1/8th buggies. This is my first 12, and first Picco. I bought a package deal engine/one-piece pipe and manifold from Nitrohouse and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price. The problem/question is regarding the manifold. I assumed, wrong apparently, that the manifolds were all the same. I ordered another pipe and the manifold is too large for the engine. The pipe and manifold male to female configuration is also different so I cant just use my existing manifold with the new pipe.

Is Picco unique in this? Or is there a adapter to make Nova based manifolds fit Picco?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

royfan, they are different. i had the same motor i think, the picco12 roar 3 port is what you have correct? if so i will need to send you a PM. the motor should have came with a black exaust coupler. picco has a smaller exaust port exit. the black fitting will make the manifold fit very tight compared to nova based fittings. let me know if this is the motor you have it has a dark pink head on it right. motor #51123
Old 10-21-2006, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by royfan33
I have a question regarding my Picco 12 3R. I'm new to 1/10 onroad, but have many years in 1/8th buggies. This is my first 12, and first Picco. I bought a package deal engine/one-piece pipe and manifold from Nitrohouse and I'm very happy with it, especially for the price. The problem/question is regarding the manifold. I assumed, wrong apparently, that the manifolds were all the same. I ordered another pipe and the manifold is too large for the engine. The pipe and manifold male to female configuration is also different so I cant just use my existing manifold with the new pipe.

Is Picco unique in this? Or is there a adapter to make Nova based manifolds fit Picco?
Picco motors are unique all to the themselves... The Nova based manifolds won't fit unless you get a special exhaust gasket to make it fit... If you want the best performance, most power possible, I would stick with the one piece pipe & manifold you're using now from Picco or upgrade to the Mega ZX-12 one piece pipe & manifold... It will fit your motor perfect and you should see a pretty good power gain over the one you're using right now... No other pipe is a better match then the Mega ZX-12 one piece pipe for your Picco...

RC_Alan
Old 10-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mugenb46
royfan, they are different. i had the same motor i think, the picco12 roar 3 port is what you have correct? if so i will need to send you a PM. the motor should have came with a black exaust coupler. picco has a smaller exaust port exit. the black fitting will make the manifold fit very tight compared to nova based fittings. let me know if this is the motor you have it has a dark pink head on it right. motor #51123
Yes this is the one. It has a black coupler that I use with the manifold that came with the engine, but it doesn't seem tight. If anything due to the lack of a groove like Nova engines the manifold and black fitting will fall off of the engine fairly easy.

RC Alan, I wondered if the Mega stuff would work. I thought that Mega/Serpent may have the engines made to a different spec than normal Piccos so I wasn't sure.

thanks for the input
Gary
Old 10-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

royfan, ya i thought it was. the bad thing is if you use a nova coupler the block of the motor rubs it's way through. so any way this is a great motor brutal bottom end and endless top end for a 12, know the bad news, 1 they dicontinued this motor and 2 keep a close eye on the connecting rod they blow out like nobodies business. i ran mine in offroad so it was not put through the stress of onroad, so keep a eye on it. The pipe combo that rc alan mentioned is a great match for this motor. the powerband of this motor works great with the tuned set up of that pipe.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Default thanks

Originally Posted by mugenb46
royfan, ya i thought it was. the bad thing is if you use a nova coupler the block of the motor rubs it's way through. so any way this is a great motor brutal bottom end and endless top end for a 12, know the bad news, 1 they dicontinued this motor and 2 keep a close eye on the connecting rod they blow out like nobodies business. i ran mine in offroad so it was not put through the stress of onroad, so keep a eye on it. The pipe combo that rc alan mentioned is a great match for this motor. the powerband of this motor works great with the tuned set up of that pipe.
Thanks for the insight. I purchased my first one simply because of price, $100 shipped with one-piece Picco/Ofna pipe all NIB from Nitrohouse. I'm so happy with it, I now have a total of three. Nice thing is I have all three of these for less than one highend Nova.

thanks again
Gary
Old 10-22-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

ya joey from nitrohouse was like ya dude this is whAT ALL THE GUYS ARE running in gas truck in CALI, so i said ok send me one. very good ofroad motor . some mod people say they are insane after being modded to. that may be when they are pushed beyond what they were made for. 100$ hell ya i'll take 2 please i won our indooroffroad championship using that moter, it is bad ass