Wiki Posts
Search

Which fuel (for Mach 427)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Default Which fuel (for Mach 427)

Hi,

I have a Mach 427 in my LST2. I have just completed running 2.5L of 16% nitro for break in purposes. I have to purchase new fuel... should I stick with 16% or go to 25% Nitro? When switching to 25%, I guess I should re-break-in the engine (take it easy for the first few runs)?

Which of these is the best fuel:
1)Graupner 25%
2)Orion Black Demon 25%
3)RB Concept fuel
4)RB Monster fuel 25%
5)Power save racing fuel.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

tornado and you should break in with the fuel you are going to run,and if you like 16 stay with it its easier to tune and its harder to over heat i mostly run 25
Old 09-29-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

So I ended up buying the Orion Black demon 16% (they didn't have 25%).

Well, the engine runs completely different compared to the Graupner fuel that I was using. I started off with the same settings that I used for the Graupner fuel, and here is what I noticed:

1)The engine runs much, MUCH cooler (with the stock needle settings, it would only get to 50 C!!!) (I think that with the Graupner, because it prolly has less oil (it only has synthetic) and the Orion has both castor and synthetic, the orion runs cooler at the same settings, but with much less performance)
2)After leaning out the HSN and LSN a bit, I managed to get the temperatures up to 70 - 80 C, with performance near to the Graupner fuel.

I must say that I am surprised (so far) how good this fuel is! I didn't have any more fuel with me, so I didn't continue leaning it, but I will do tomorrow. I think that if I lean it out another 3 to 4 hours, I should have great performance, with temperatures in the 100C range.

Is it important to watch for the smoke? Or should I only watch temps? The smoke coming from this fuel seems much lighter than that when I used my Graupner.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Elite

I would say keep at the 110/120 mark and it should have puff of smoke as it accellerates ,not thick smoke but smoke.also when engine idles it should build up or idle should drop ofter 8-10 seconds ,my truck and buggies run on 25% nitro,9% oil and with this fuel after it builds up for 10 seconds and i throttle it it is usually a bit flat and on second throttle it is a clean rev.
Also almost forgot ,always set hsn for a decent speed and then the lsn.
my 2cents, hope it makes sense and helps.