Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Bore vs Stroke vs Displacement >

Bore vs Stroke vs Displacement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bore vs Stroke vs Displacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EdwardN
Hey BK. It is really nice informative book. Where did you dig it?
I downloaded it already. Do you have russian version of it, because now I have to go to Dictionary.com to translate some words.

Eduard, I gave you a copy of that book 9 months ago! I though you would have had it translated and memorized by now!! I'll leave it up to you to rewrite it in Russian and send a couple of copies to your buds in Russia!

By the way, I want to get out to Crystal Park a week from this Sunday for some engine testing. Perhaps you guys will want to join me. I will be bringing out the Speed Lab Modifieds test rig for our support and comfort!

Talk to you soon,

BK
Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Brian,

Thanks so much for scanning and posting the book. It's awesome! Scan quality is excellent.

Rainer
Old 10-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mxwrench
Eduard, I gave you a copy of that book 9 months ago! I though you would have had it translated and memorized by now!! I'll leave it up to you to rewrite it in Russian and send a couple of copies to your buds in Russia!

By the way, I want to get out to Crystal Park a week from this Sunday for some engine testing. Perhaps you guys will want to join me. I will be bringing out the Speed Lab Modifieds test rig for our support and comfort!

Talk to you soon,

BK
I will be there. Which Sunday-10/14? I will be there.
Hey BK don't forget 10/22 evening party-you can't miss that!!!! You will see how real Russians parting !!!! Prepare yourself
Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Brian,

Thanks so much for scanning and posting the book. It's awesome! Scan quality is excellent.

Rainer
Hey, I didn't scan it! That would be copyright infringement! I just happened upon it some time ago while surfing the net. I had one of the original copies of the book maybe 10 years ago, but my copy was 3rd gen hand me down and was in quite poor shape. I have no idea to this day what happened to my copy. This is why I was so thrilled when I found the scanned version on the internet.

This book is by far the most informative insight to 2 stroke engines that I have ever come upon and it is fairly understandable for the layman. But be prepared, this information is quite in depth, and you may have to have some fundamental understanding before it will all start to make sense.

So, put your thinking caps on and prepare yourself for some long reading sessions. I have found myself completely engrossed with this book for 4-5 hr sessions at a time, just cause I get so engrossed inthe information. Enjoy!

There will be a quiz next monday on the contents!

BK
Old 10-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

WOW i can't wait to get my motor in my hands, this stuff just rocks.
ED i'm very close to getting this understood about pipe lenght and back preasure, but can you tell me this. when a company says this is a low end pipe, are they meaning it creates more tourque or just more rpm. More RPM doesn't equel more tourque. there is a difference in the two. so is it a real increase in tourque or just faster piston speed.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mugenb46
WOW i can't wait to get my motor in my hands, this stuff just rocks.
ED i'm very close to getting this understood about pipe lenght and back preasure, but can you tell me this. when a company says this is a low end pipe, are they meaning it creates more tourque or just more rpm. More RPM doesn't equel more tourque. there is a difference in the two. so is it a real increase in tourque or just faster piston speed.
When company says it is low end pipe it is pretty much saying this pipe will engage earlier in resonance, will creat more torq, but less top RPM.
Low end pipes are different in design to top end pipe-ratio between first cone and second cone is different, angles on cones are different. Low end pipes generate very wide power band but limited because of this on top RPM, in mean time top end pipes are very narrow power band pipes making best of its power on very hign RPM range.
It is not just make pipe shorter or longer, they are totaly different pipes which are creating different power bands on engines. You can simulate some of low or top end effect with the same pipe making it shorter or longer, but for full effect of having botom end or top end pipe you will defenetly need two different pipes.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

READING ??????
Old 10-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mxwrench
Guys, I did some digging on my hard drive and found the absolute best piece of reading material for you to wrap your brains around. It is Gordon Jennings 2 stroke tuners handbook. This book has been out of print for some time, but I managed to get a decent scan of it some time ago. I have posted the PDF file to my website for your viewing pleasure. I recommend saving the file to your hard drive and printing each page and making your own book out of it. This is a must have for any serious 2 stroke engine builder/designer/enthusiast.

http://www.nitrodynesystems.com/2str...rshandbook.pdf

p.s. it is a pretty big file so give it some time to load! Also you might want to rotate the text 90deg counter clockwise for easier reading. Otherwise your neck might get sore!

Happy reading!

BK
they (who are they) should redo this book i think it would sell or can you get this book.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:17 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mugenb46
READING ??????
Yes, more reading material....

A more legible scan of Gordon Jennings’s Two Stroke Tuners Handbook in pdf format.... also included other Jennings pdfs

2stroketunershandbook.pdf
aspirin_takers.pdf
crankcase_volume.pdf
delivery_ratio.pdf
do you really.pdf
higher compression.pdf
l-rings.pdf
oilpremix.pdf
ossatuningspec.pdf
race_preparation.pdf
sachsengine.pdf
some_development.pdf
topend_rebuild.pdf
webco_power Hodoka.pdf

This site has a list of book reviews and some for sale

http://www.lortim.demon.co.uk/reviews/index.htm

Book for sale

http://www.themotorbookstore.com/two...ne-manual.html

That ought to keep you busy.

AFM
Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 AM
afm
Tech Master

oooppssss....the links to all of those pdf's didn't posted correctly...better get them from here

http://edj.net/2stroke/jennings/

AFM
Old 10-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Just fyi: I was away for a few days, but now I'm back and I will start working on the Web site on Monday.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

I was able to spend some time at MacDizzy's today and it has some really awesome info on how to measure everything. Using the pencil rubbing techinque was very ingenius. I never would have thought of that.

I'm still a bit concerned about getting the numbers correct when measuring my own engines - and how it would compare to someone else taking the same measurements.

Hmmm....

I'm going to do a pencil rubbing of my TZ sometime over the next week (yeah, as if I don't have enough to do in my life! ), scan it and post it online. Too bad we don't all have the same engine to work off of. Then we could really compare notes and get things right!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Talking

Originally Posted by afm
OK Rainer

For starters, you are welcomed, it's a pleasure working with you and Ed on a useful data base project and will continue to support you.

I've edited some of your statements on your last post, which in that way are answers themselves.

And regarding the last question / statement before your closing...here it goes, and I'm sure that with this info the picture will be complete to interpret the numbers on the chart, and you should post them at the bottom of the chart as references:

High exhaust degrees duration = more power and rpm at top end
High transfer degrees duration = more power and torque at low end (wacht out because if to high run time gets hurt)
High boost transfer duration =extension of the peak power curve
Advancing Induction opening = more low end (up to certain limits)
Retarding Induction closing = more high end
Bigger diameter on inner passage = more overall power = more fuel consumption past certain limits.

With regards to Induction timing, little changes in opening timing will not produce appreciable changes in performance. The factor that has a considerable effect on an engine performace is the closing timing. Closing 20% later will not affect high end, but will help low end becaiuse it limits "blow back" through the carb....past 20% youll loose low end and increase high end.

Now as an exercise go see the numbers on induction of the ORION and you'll have a technical answer of why it is like an "unbroken horse" at the track when all that power hits the wheels at such high power band, if they reduced induction to 210º and raise a tad the transfers it would be like a Derby winner.

That's all....now the chart makes sense doesn't ???.....have fun

Let's keep on working finding more engines to put on the chart....jejejeje

Alfonso
answer of why it
if you make the transfer ports taller or stay open longer on the sleeve it will produce more bottom end, i thought this would make more top end. please help me understand. thank you.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by afm
Yes, more reading material....

ossatuningspec.pdf
WoW!!!!!!!!

Material related to Ossa Motorbikes, those were made in Spain many years ago. Handing that PDF to a friend of mine who's a freak of Ossa Motorbikes.

Talking about 'old' mbikes... some time ago, saw another time (and is a very rare ocasion to see it) a BSD Lighning mbike... If only could have enough cash to put my hands into one. From time to time in Ebay appears one, but disappears as quick as appeared.