R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Onroad Nitro Engine Zone (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone-71/)
-   -   Why won't my Engine start? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/onroad-nitro-engine-zone/129239-why-wont-my-engine-start.html)

Burnz27 09-13-2006 04:25 AM

Why won't my Engine start?

Ok, I just got a used XTM X-cellerator with the .18 engine. It seems to have good compression and I know the glow plug is good, and I know it is getting fuel. I have reset the carb to factory specs (per the manual that came with it) but I can't get the engine to start at all.

I think the last time it was used it wasn't put away correctly, and it had been awhile since it was started. Any ideas to what I can try to get it fired up?

Thanks

jfc_tech 09-13-2006 04:41 AM

check your glow igniter... it usually the culprit. like 95% i say.

is the carb open like 2mm gap? if this ok... open the backplate. check the inside. is the conrod still intact... attached to the piston? the crankshaft is still one piece?

thats my checklist. but i usually end up the glow igniter the problem. not enough charge :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nitroaddicts 09-13-2006 09:19 AM

Also factory setting can be a little rich, try to lean it out just a little to help it start. and make sure the glow started is hot.

Burnz27 09-13-2006 01:31 PM

yeah, my glow igniter is charged, and everything internal is ok - or it seems(have had the head off and the piston functions correctly)

I tried to start it when I got it, with the carb settings as they were, when it didnt' do anything I decided to put them to factory settings figuring that it would at least start and I could go from there...however no luck.

Everything has the appearance like it should fire up, but I am getting zero from it.

I figured it would be something little and ignorant that I was missing, however I am out of little ignorant things to try:nod:

Burnz27 09-13-2006 01:34 PM

I will try to lean it a little, and probably give the glow igniter a charge (just in case:blush: )

Thanks guys

mxwrench 09-13-2006 03:39 PM

Pull the plug out of the head and stick the ignitor on it an make sure it glows bright orange. If not then charge the ignitor or replace the plug until this happens. Next, with the plug out turn the engine upside down and make sure it is not wet sumped with fuel. Replace the plug and turn the engine over and make sure it has good resistance (compression), reset carb to factory specs, turn the engine over with the start box or pull starter while holding your finger over the ex pipe stinger to pull fuel to the carb. Once the fuel reaches the carb stop. The engine should start immediately if these things are all good and steps performed. If it doesn't start, then I wouls suspect that the fuel is contaminated with a fair bit of water and should be replace with a fresh can. Remember, fuel can sit on the shelf at the hobby store for some time. So never rule out fuel just cause you have a new bottle. If you have good compression, the ignitor is glowing the plug bright orange, and the carb isnt restricted then there is no other reason for the engine not to start.

Good luck and let us know when you get it running, as I am curious to know what the problem is.

Thanks,

BK

Burnz27 09-14-2006 01:52 PM

We have lift-off.

It fired up yesterday. I leaned it a little bit from the factory settings, but I think the main thing is all the gunk finally worked its way out of the engine/carb.

I had picked it up used from Ebay, and a kid had owned it. I believe it was not properly put away the last time it was run (which had been a few months) and when the dad cleaned it up to sell it I think they got some water in it. The night I posted this question I WD-40'd the hell out of the engine and the carb.

Thanks for the help, that's kinda why I was stumped - everything seemed like it should go (glow plug, igniter, fuel, compression etc). Anyway, it is a neat little truck - a little something different from my Savage.

Qlone 09-18-2006 01:37 AM

Sounds like your carb was clogged up with oil residue from old fuel left inside it.

A few months ago a friend had the same problem with his engine; no matter what we tried, it would not start. However, when we dropped some fuel into the air filter hole it fired up and ran for a few seconds. It's easy to check btw... just attach some fuel tubing to the carb and blow in it. Some air should be going through the carb and more when you open full throttle. Flushing the carb can be done by blowing fuel through it this way.