R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone

Old 06-23-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
Tech Initiate
Clutch biting points in conjunction with engine idling speeds

I was wondering about what everyone out there thought of what speed an average engine (in my case Fac. tuned OS Speed TZ.12) idling speed should be in combination with clutch release point?

Some say it is best to have a slightly higher idling engine, and adjust the biting point of the clutch to just slightly above the idling speed, claiming low idling speeds have no advantage whatsoever.

Others say that one should have as lower idling speeds as possible and have a gap between idling and clutch biting point.

So what does everyone think? High or low idling? What % of engine speed should the clutch be engaged at? Also, how far from idling should the clutch engagement point be? This arguement seems to be like running in procedures, everyone has a different opinion, so I am very interested in everyones' opinions!

Many thanks in advance.
Carbonfi_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Low idling does have an advantage.
A high idling engine, will at the end of a full throttle part on the track, push the car under braking.
There for an engine should idle as low as possible......

The biting point (engagement point) of the clutch should not be "slightly" above the idling point of the engine, but far above it.
I think an engine should atleast rev at around 15000 before the clutch should engage....
If I just take an example of a JP engine:
You can see that torque of this engine is nothing below the 10000 rpm, it start to do something above the 12000 rpm......
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:31 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info, M7H!!

That is the setup I have at the moment, low idling and engagement at 30-35% of engine RPM...It is just that I have heard some people using other setups so was interested!
Carbonfi_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Clutch tuning

I raced 2 cycle open go karts for 15 years and we engaged the clutch at the torque peak. I would think it would be somewhere near that on these engines too. We allways checked the kart engines with a tach but i don't know how you could do it with an rc car. I would bet the rpm needs to be at least 10,000 before it engages the clutch to be fast.
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 PM   #5
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the clutch engages too soon you could *possibly stall/bog the engine. My clutch starts to engage about 1/4-1/3 throttle. When at the starting line I blip it a little bit with maybe 1 cm of movement between blips.

My question is that... is it OK if the clutchbell spins a tad during idle?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote