Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results >

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kenneth Tan
Anyway, how are those rpms that were mentioned were measured? Tachometer?
Mxwrench has a system that precisely checks when the gears switch. He also built a dyno for nitro engines. So the figures he gives are accurate
Old 10-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nano
Mxwrench has a system that precisely checks when the gears switch. He also built a dyno for nitro engines. So the figures he gives are accurate
It is computer software called SpectraTach. We can use it to check Max RPM on track, clutch engagment point, second speed engagment point etc. It doesn't need any extra equipment on the car, just need any laptop and simple microphone-and instantly you can see your RPM on the screen. This software was designed for airmodeling control line speed so it brings also speed but speed calculation is based on their lap distace and it is not accurate for our aplication, so we just don't pay attention to speed shown on main window. We use it for last 1 and half year and it is really handy tool. I even can mesure RPM from video recorded on TV or computer (we tested many times and it works on video as goos as on live on the track).
I attached screen shot of that software. I am sorry for right side blank field-I have double wide screen monitor system and don't know how to get rid of second screen image in cases like this
Attached Thumbnails Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results-untitled1.jpg  

Last edited by EdwardN; 10-06-2006 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Somebody have experience with this engine in NTC3? What gearing you use and what clutch?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Adept

Ran the wasp engine for the first time on track this weekend. Had great hp, but not much run time (4-5 min.). HS needle was 7.25 out, ls needle was 5.25 out. The engine just would not keep its tune. One time it would come in real rich the next it would come in screaming hot. When kept its tune it was a rocket. I thought that I read somewhere that was was an issue of the carb leaking air around the neck. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Make sure its not the exhaust gasket. Mine was broke and ended up blowing a hole in the bottom of the crank case as it was too hot.

I need to run the new one in now!!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fastrcracer
Ran the wasp engine for the first time on track this weekend. Had great hp, but not much run time (4-5 min.). HS needle was 7.25 out, ls needle was 5.25 out. The engine just would not keep its tune. One time it would come in real rich the next it would come in screaming hot. When kept its tune it was a rocket. I thought that I read somewhere that was was an issue of the carb leaking air around the neck. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks
That is a very rich setting for this engine - and the CRF does not like running rich. How did you break it in? What pipe are you using?? What were the temps like?

You might want to start out next time with your LSN at 4 and HSN at 6.5. Initially, you should be able to lean out your HSN without touching LSN. After, adjusting the HSN, depending on how it runs on the low end, you may or may not be able to lean out your LSN. Also remember to read this page at Team Orion:

http://www.teamorion.com/FAQ/Wasp+Rev+CRF+Tuning

Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

I broke the motor in per the instructions in the manual that came with the motor. I was using the RD Logics 62506 pipe and header. The temps would come in one time 305, richen it up a little then it would come back in at 165. They were just up and down. I took the motor out of the car in the last couple of days and the exhaust gasket was torn and the o-ring that seals at the base of the carb and the case was out of place.

Don't know if this could have been causing an air leak, but couldn't have been helping.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sounds like you found your problem
definately airleak material
Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New carb parts

Josh, what are the setings with the new carb updated parts ?

http://www.teamorion.com/news/ca40/newsid/141

CRF Wasp REV .12 updated

Following Josh Cyrul's great performance at the 2006 World championships, Team Orion is releasing an updated version of the CRF Wasp Rev engine. The engine now features improvements developped by the CRF R&D department and Josh Cyrul himself. Modifications have been made to the main needle holder and the carburator body, also the carburator inlet now has a conical shape. The engine is now easier to setup and has more low end torque.

Team Orion will replace the main needle for free to all customers and the updated carburator body will be available for a nominal fee.

Customers that wish to get the updated main needle holder can contact their local Team Orion office.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Are the mods just to the carb? or are there other differences such as timing etc??
Old 10-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Way to go Josh, looks like all that research work you were doing paid off!

This is good news! I am pleased that Team Orion is standing behind it's product and addressing some of the issues that we have been having. It would be great if we could get a detailed explanation of what each modification addresses and how the engine's tuning and performance characteristics change. A lot of us have gotten use to tuning the engine a certain way and it would be good to know if we need revise some of our thinking.

Some of the more specific questions I have are:

- Does this mean we no longer need the chassis specific CRF clutch parts?
- Do the carb changes alter the run time of the engine?
- Does the engine still start to bog when the humidity increases?
- Do these changes alter the initial HSN/LSN settings?
- Why is only the needle holder being changed and not the needle itself?
- Can we get a before and after dyno graph??!!
- What is the nominal fee for the updated carb body??

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

I'm gonna try to answer a few of the questions.

- Does this mean we no longer need the chassis specific CRF clutch parts?
We still encourage users to buy one of our clutch sets as it will always perform better than the original stuff when using our engine.

- Do the carb changes alter the run time of the engine?
No.

- Does the engine still start to bog when the humidity increases?
I am not aware of this problem, could you be more specific?

- Do these changes alter the initial HSN/LSN settings?
HSN setting is now 4 turns out from fully screwed in. The needle now rests deeper in the holder. LSN is the same.

- Why is only the needle holder being changed and not the needle itself?
There is nothing wrong with the needle. To allow easier setup, the holder hole is now slightly bigger, this way the needle has to be screwed or unscrewed further to change the setting. This helps a lot with the engine setup.

- Can we get a before and after dyno graph??!!
I will see about that.

- What is the nominal fee for the updated carb body??
I will get the info.

Another modification is to the carburator body itself, the bore is larger than before. This improves the low end response of the engine.

The conical inlet gives better throttle response troughout the rpm range.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ziggy12345
Are the mods just to the carb? or are there other differences such as timing etc??
The timings are the same.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions Nano.

I am looking forward to getting the new parts and testing the engine.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Tech Adept

You're welcome RMD.

The updated parts are being shipped and will be available anytime.

As stated before the needle holder is free and the updated carburator body is offered with a 50% discount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.