Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road > Onroad Nitro Engine Zone
Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results >

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion CRF Wasp Rev X-Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by impalabob64
sorry man, didnt mean to say that, just short header
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Ive always thought the same (more heat, due to more power) , but I heard the same from a few people that 30% will run the motor cooler, which does kinda make sense. Thats why it seems to me a lot of the large monster class and buggies run 30% since they need more cooling due to the large mass they must propel and the fact that they arent always running a free flowing open track. Less cooling. But im not a fuel expert.

Another reason why I know people play with nitro percentages is to adjust fuel consumption. If your getting great fuel mileage might as well go up some to use it the excess fuel and put the motor to its best use for the time period on the track.
I think it's because when you run 30%, you have to run richer thus temperture is lower.

Just my 2 cents.

Well I have being reading this thread for some time.......
I am thinking of getting a new .12 engine.
The races I join allows outlaws,
So I'm considering the following engines,

Sirio STI
JP FX12-T05
and The Orion/Peak CRF (Currently 1st choice)

Well, the track I race at is rather high speed with the long straight of about 200ft long.
I was previously running a stock REX RE5, and simply have no pace compared to the JPs and STIs.

So is the high end of the CRF comparable or better then the 5 port STIs and JPs on the track (I have seen the dynos readings........)??

Many Thanks
Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Spent 8 hours at the track today trying to get the motor to run right, but to be fair 3 others were there with the same problems (2x LL3 and Evo2), that being the bottom end racing away from being too lean but at the same time flooding (we don't normally have it this hot and dry).
I did make big progress today though, I can get the car out of the corner similar to the old NovaRossi I've just dumped but it is still outside the power band, what I did was removed one of the weights from each clutch weight so that it doesn't bite as sharp, also I switched back to the Tornado 16% fuel which the motor likes more than the RunnerTime 16% I was using last time out.
I'm happy with it now but can still do with those 18T pulleys (which hasn't arrived), but Sunday will be the test in race conditions (and it's getting hotter).
Old 06-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NiMo
also I switched back to the Tornado 16% fuel which the motor likes more than the RunnerTime 16% I was using last time out.

Please explain...

I used to run Runnertime and also went back to Tornado, but that is because my sponsors doesn't deliver it anymore....
I haven't seen any real difference between the both, so could you axplain what the difference was?.... (just curious)....
Old 06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M7H

Please explain...

I used to run Runnertime and also went back to Tornado, but that is because my sponsors doesn't deliver it anymore....
I haven't seen any real difference between the both, so could you axplain what the difference was?.... (just curious)....
RunnerTime has some 'drawbacks' but... aren't really drawbacks, the feeling you're leaning too much but that thing still smokes is very usual. What's the difference? Have you opened a engine after running RunnerTime and let the tank run dry for itself? no after-run needed at all, for me is a prove that RT is the best fuel available out ther (is a hell expensive, but... worth).
Old 07-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by M7H

Please explain...

Difference? tricky
With the LL3 Runnertime gave me a few more revs, and it made that first start of the day easier, it also needed much shorter warm up time.
The CRF just feels better with Tornado but does take around 4 laps to get up to speed.
As I said 'tricky', but the reason for using it was that I can get Tornado from 6 places within 10 miles from home (and carry a can as back up) where as RunnerTime I have to pre-order, and I'm still waiting for that order sent over 2 months ago (current stock ran out).
Old 07-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Had timed practice today
Best lap I could manage with the CRF was 15.89s, I tried to lean and richen the motor but it would not go any faster.
Biggest problem was the fuel economy, I could not get more than 20 laps from the tank.
It got to 6.30pm and I was way off the pace so I stuck my knackered 5 month old LL3 in the car, 29 laps from the tank, best lap 14.67s, and a string of 12 laps in the 14s bracket.
So the CRF will not be raced tomorrow, sorry guys but I have a championship lead to maintain.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hmm I know setup matters definately. Atleast I didn't go jump and buy one like everyone else once I get a nice steady, accurate, and proven review. I still eye the std .12TZ, but I'd rather a faster n more powerful motor with good fuel time. Basically be great to have the xtra power when you need it and lower the epa or so on the radio.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:03 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Corse-R
RunnerTime has some 'drawbacks' but... aren't really drawbacks, the feeling you're leaning too much but that thing still smokes is very usual. What's the difference?
I know that the viscosity of the oil in Runnertime is different then Tornado, so the fuel itself is "thinner", which allows you to lean your engine, BUT it won't give you more runtime.....

I also liked RT fuel, but yes, it's about 150% more expensive then Tornado....

Were I race you should ALWAYS use afterrun...... (humidity)
Old 07-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corse-R
RunnerTime has some 'drawbacks' but... aren't really drawbacks, the feeling you're leaning too much but that thing still smokes is very usual. What's the difference? Have you opened a engine after running RunnerTime and let the tank run dry for itself? no after-run needed at all, for me is a prove that RT is the best fuel available out ther (is a hell expensive, but... worth).
Yes. Its the only fuel I run now. Engine always seems to run better on it.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I used the CRF engine yesterday for round 8 of our club championship.

Engine was ok, I managed to run a faster 5 min qualifier than I ever have before. I also broke the track record for 5 min qualifiers. Unfortunately, so did 2 other guys and I ended up 3rd fastest .

I won the 10 min main.

I found the motor was good on fuel economy and temps. Just lacked a little of the jump off the turn. I still have some clutch and pipe combo's to try but apart from that it was ok.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Fastest motor on the track.

I raced today, got 2 heats in, didnt get to the mains, got rained out but the engine was balistic the hobbystore had 5 in stock, before i left there was 1 left.There is no bottom problem with this engine, my buddy has the Mf Mega in his 710 lets just someone pickup a wasp If you dont believe me, ask A-I he was there, The pipe i ran was the novarossi 2630.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I was going to get some video of this motor during the mains. But sadly it got rained out (track started washing away, lol).

Watching the team orion motor first hand though on the track, . Like a bat out of a hot place. Also the motor sounded normal, from what Ive heard these motors produce a different sound from the norm which makes tuning by ear more difficult. Sounded like all the other fast motors on the track to me. Maybe slightly different or could have been cause its just faster.

Also nice to meet yah Bobby , good luck with the new beast's.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Service?

Has anyone had any luck getting a reply or parts from Team Orion USA?

I have emailed every adress on their site trying to get the support bits for this motor. I got one response from the wrong dept. telling me to send my order to 'Traci'.

I done this but still no reply.

Are the pipes and clutch bits etc. available anywhere? Preferably online.
Or are they only available to US customers?

Any useful advice appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.