dual shielded bearing??

Old 02-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default dual shielded bearing??

hi, my current engine a kyosho gs-15r has a dual shielded front bearing. which seemed silly to me as the iner shield would just limit the amount of lubricant into the bearing and also just ad more friction?
do you guys think id be right to remove the second inner facing shield as to allow more oil into the bearing and cut down on friction?? thanks all
Old 02-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hi, my current engine a kyosho gs-15r has a dual shielded front bearing. which seemed silly to me as the iner shield would just limit the amount of lubricant into the bearing and also just ad more friction?
do you guys think id be right to remove the second inner facing shield as to allow more oil into the bearing and cut down on friction?? thanks all
Well, yes and no. See, bearing shields and seals have a direction of energisation and usually in sealed ball bearings that direstion is from the outside elements. Basically protecting the bearings internals from outside contaminants. But in your case, that olso keeps the oil from getting inside to aid in lubrication. Problem is that the bearing shields are lousy from keeping whats inside from getting out.

That being said, in my opinion, double shielded bearings are a bad idea for engine bearings, however, removing the inner shield MIGHT cause some unwanted weeping of the front bearing. But if the engine has been designed properly and has the proper venting of the bearing then it should both receive positive and negative pressure from the crankcase equally, and this should negate this weeping effect. But, not knowing the engine in question, this might not be the case.

The manufacurer might have specified for a double shielded bearing as a short cut to this process. Give it a try and keep an eye out for leakage of oils collected in the bearing through the front shield.

Another option would be to upgrade to a single sided sealed bearing that is more suitable for engine applications. Again, even theese typ of bearings can weep if the engine is not designed proporly to evacuate this area, but they certainly will work harder to keep the jis inside the crankcase.

In any case, no damage will be done either way, so long as you remave and install the bearing properly without damaging the crankcase (I.e. use pulling tools or presses to remove and install the bearings. NEVER use a hammer to remove and install crankscase bearing as you will surely derstroy the crankcase bearing journals!!!)

Just my $0.52 (anybody have any change??)haha

BK
Old 02-23-2006, 04:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Here a good tip how to remove your engine brearings, I used an electric furnace. Make sure your engine is clean of oil. http://www.rbproducts.com/mainEn.php...ncept%20engine