Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
How to choose the right engine? >

How to choose the right engine?

How to choose the right engine?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Default How to choose the right engine?

Hey guys...

Newbie here. I just picked up a Serpent SRX8 after a 15 year hiatus from the hobby. The last nitro engine I ran was an OS .12CV in my NRS4 mid 90's

So I've been reading threads trying to catch up on whats going on, and Im trying to figure out what engine would be best in the new buggy I picked up. Im a bit overwhelmed with the options, there seems to be tons! They also all seem to produce similar power. So what should be the deciding factors in choosing an engine? Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

The main factor would probably be your budget! There are so many options available at a huge range of price points but I think the old saying 'you get what you pay for' is usually true.

I would say maybe take a look at your local track to see which motors are going well and have a chat to the guys running them, because they will probably be helping you tune whatever you buy.

I've ran a lot of engines over the years but had good success with Alpha/Argus engines for a lower priced engine.
At the moment I'm running an FX K3 in my buggy which is really nice, although at the opposite end of the price scale!

If I was to try another engine in my buggy it would be the Drake edition Novarossi, I think it would be a solid motor for the money and if the Drake has put his name to it it must be good

Sorry I don't know how helpful this is but hopefully you can take something from it!
Let us know what you get
Old 01-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am running OS B2101 and I am super happy with it, lots of power and its easy to tune. My next engine will be the new OS B2102 low cg.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It really depends on what you want and how new you are to nitro RC engines. If you want to race, you still don't need the best or even a higher priced engine, but you need something better than the cheapest thing you can find (unless you run a Werks B2) My suggestion is to see what the people are running at the local track, even though all engines tune basically the same, some are harder than others, so if you get something that no one has at the track, in theory they should be able to help tune it still, but they might have some issues, however if you choose the most popular engine at the track, then tuning should never be an issue. Just my 2 cents, Novarossi or other brands they make, Fusion, top just to name two should be relatively cheap, competitive and easy to tune for anyone at the track. I personally like and only run Fusion, cheap but top quality novarossi parts, and Monty Houston stands by so customer support is impossible to beat. Just don't let any "engine" guy here talk you into buying a mod motor for your first car, too much and a waste of money most of the time... Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

Does not have to be super expensive.

If you're been away for a while and are unsure about setting up, tuning, etc, get this:

http://www.novarossidirect.com/ELITE-5OFF_p_3232.html

Very, very good engine for the money. And if somehow you do eff it up, it's not the end of the world..

This engine could probably work well in all kinds of different cars - buggies, truggies, GT - on different tracks etc.. With nitro there are so many variables - pipe, header, clutch, tune, plug, fuel, etc. It's not "the engine" that makes the biggest different, but the owner/setter-upper/tuner/driver...
Old 01-12-2017, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mrbigglesworth

If I was to try another engine in my buggy it would be the Drake edition Novarossi, I think it would be a solid motor for the money and if the Drake has put his name to it it must be good
Sadly they have discontinued it, but as stated above the Rex Elite 5Off is still available.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Depends on what youre wanting to spend. Ive run a few different engines. Alpha, os, fx and now fusionx. Really didnt like the alphas, found they were too inconsistent and wouldnt hold a tune.

I had an OS speed spec 2 and that thing was an animal, heaps of power, held a tune very well, just thirsty. It was second hand and i put a further 15 litres on it and never had an issue with it. With OS you definitely get what you pay for, it was just too much engine for me and i wasnt consistent enough with it. The B2101 is more of a buggy engine.

The FX k5dc is a great engine. A mate has it and he runs speeds and he is very impressed by it. Its going to be his main buggy engine for this season.

Ive now got the Fusion x X3LC, im yet to run any nitro through it, but have heard nothing but good things about them. The Fusion X is nova based and are a good line of engines. Was either that or a Novarossi Legend 4 that was going to go into my buggy.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

I've had Alpha engines and they were no less consistent than any other brands. I think a lot of people approach brands with preconceived notions (i.e. prejudices), which end up affecting their experiences with them. For ex. some people think if it's cheap it must suck. Which is simply not true. Nor - and and even moreso IMHO - is the opposite(that more expensive must be better..)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by B3nno810
I had an OS speed spec 2 and that thing was an animal, heaps of power, held a tune very well, just thirsty. It was second hand and i put a further 15 litres on it and never had an issue with it. With OS you definitely get what you pay for, it was just too much engine for me and i wasnt consistent enough with it. The B2101 is more of a buggy engine.
+1 to this, I have purchased a few prw-owned ones to rebuild and have as handouts and put in cars we put together for racers down on their luck at the local tracks.

The Speed Spec II is by far my favorite motor, and I have run it in Truggy as well as buggy. Granted I purchased mine new for my cars, yet you can get great deals on used. With the DLC Coated Crank, and Bearings alone, they are a bargain to have second hand.

I think although initial expense for a new OS is high, you get good quality, even if you get a used XZ-B VII it too is a great motor. With OS you can expect good quality, great parts availability and ease of tune.

Not trying to push OS just stating experience.

If you want to try an Alpha based motor, Dynamite has the Mach 2 .21 for a deal under 100$ It wont break the bank, and get you in the right direction.

Novas are great too, the base P3XS is a supre reliable motor, and takes standard plugs, which are more common at your LHS.

You just have to get your feet wet, until one day you will know which brand suits you best. Until then you just have to pick one, lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Buy a new engine. Unless you know where the used engine came from it's a gamble that can easily turn into a headache. I would stick with a main brand. You can't go wrong with anything on Luis list.

FX
Nova
OS
Picco
Reds
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
Sadly they have discontinued it, but as stated above the Rex Elite 5Off is still available.
That's a shame it's discontinued, I assume that's due to him moving away from Novarossi...
They are still in stock at absolutehobbyz.
The Elite would be hard to beat though for that price!
Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mrbigglesworth
That's a shame it's discontinued, I assume that's due to him moving away from Novarossi...
They are still in stock at absolutehobbyz.
The Elite would be hard to beat though for that price!
More than likely. But I am sure where he goes to next, perhaps he could develope a similar product, or so one could wish.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

I have run a lot of different brands in my time in RC Racing, and after I got to know the WERKS Engines, I stuck with them and even started to import them into Brazil. Especially for somebody new or coming back into the sport, I always recommend the WERKS B2 engine. No need for a top engine for top $$$. You have to get confortable again with racing a car, and you need something reliable, easy to tune, durable, something that lets you focus on racing. The B2 engine definitly fits this, and in my opinion, give you the best power for the bucks. While priced like a "hobby-grade" engine, it is definitly a race engine and has even won some State Championships last year.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

The Werks B2 is turbo plug as well? Pretty cool for a budget engine. When one of my OS's wears out, I might try one, If I hate the carb, I'll have an extra OS carb available.

Which is another point, why can't noone make a carb as nice as the OS carb? It's a deal breaker with many of the other brands for me. I normally recommend turbo plug engines only, and especially OS based engines.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

I've never had a Werks. They're not that widely available in Europe, otherwise I'd've had one over the years. I'd buy one in a heartbeat in the States...

I've also never had an OS. I would love to have one, but I simply do not believe in paying that kind of money for an engine. When you can Werks and now Novas from Novadirect so cheap..

Everybody's got different experiences and variables, but the Go's and Alphas I've had have been among the best behaved engines I've ever had. Literally set and forget on the needles basically. RB and Picco have been great too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.