Wiki Posts
Search

Nito buggy engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arctic RC
I buy what I think is the best product even if it is a bit pricy, reason is that I want the best equipment so I'm not able to blame the equipment for my poor results. I know I have good stuff and yes it cost a dollar or two but in the end I can only blame myself and my own skills.
If you consider this to be a sport like dirt bikes, F1, speed boats or something similar, this is the only sport you are able to have the same equipment as the pro's and then it all come down to you own skills . And if you start with the mentioned sports above you will see that it is quite cheap with rc racing.
I have had GO engines, FX and REDS and REDS is by far the best engines I have had. I will go with OS speed spec 3 next season just to try it and this is my point, everyone will tell you that different brand is best for the buck according to their own experiance, budget or skill lever of tuning. I think it is much more of a personell opinion of what you want from an engine.
GO engines is in my opinion inconsistent in tune and has a short lifespan but is cheap.
FX is more consistent in tune, has a strong bottom but will fade in mid and top end and has a better lifespan than GO engines by a few gallons.
REDS is easy to tune, hold a tune from day to day really good, strong and smooth powerband through out the rpm range, real easy to break in comparison to the other two mentioned and has good longivity.
The take aways are that you will get what you pay for and nitro racing can be real fun and easy but it can also be a pain in the a.. If you have poor equipment especially if you have a bad day with a bad engine that won't preform.
This is just my own opinion and I'm sorry for the long post.
Amen to that!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

ive seen allot of people buy high dollar engines that are far too fast for them, thus making them slower overall because they couldnt control the speed. Ive been guilty of this.
noone needs to start off with a motor costing 300+ dollars, get a cheaper(under$200) Italian built bump start .21(nova/werks/picco) learn the needles and work on your driving.
if your already a fast racer coming in from electric and have someone to tune for you by all means pick up a high dollar motor, but for most the money is better spent on tires and fuel
Old 09-12-2016, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
ive seen allot of people buy high dollar engines that are far too fast for them, thus making them slower overall because they couldnt control the speed. Ive been guilty of this.
noone needs to start off with a motor costing 300+ dollars, get a cheaper(under$200) Italian built bump start .21(nova/werks/picco) learn the needles and work on your driving.
if your already a fast racer coming in from electric and have someone to tune for you by all means pick up a high dollar motor, but for most the money is better spent on tires and fuel
10000% right sir.. New racers = cheap $150 motor learn how to tune. then step up your game to a new high end motor.

But rubber rubber rubber.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marchoman
So what do you guys recommend for a beginners nitro truggy engine?
I would recommend the REDS R5R with a S manifold, 2104 pipe, and the REDS Quatro clutch set on the "H" setting. Very strong, easy to tune, and superb quality engine. I would recommend this combo for buggy as well. I would set the clutch on the "L" setting. My humble opinion based on personal experience.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Reds to me is one of the most annoying engine companies. Totally overpriced, constantly pushing out "new" engines(and much worse, new pipes..), etc etc... I'm sure they're good, but to me they're just the kind of company that has made racing a very rarified scene populated by fewer and fewer guys willing - and eager - to throw bucketloads of money at every new gimmicky thing that comes out. OS is like Apple, and Reds like an Android company who had the insight that selling products nearer the Apple price instead of cheaper would convince people that it must be good if it costs so much...
How are REDS overpriced? You can get a R5R for about $250, which is a fantastic engine, easy to tune and keeps its tune. By contrast, an Alpha (glorified Taiwanese firecracker) is about $200-220.

The same REDS R5R with TNS mods will match (and maybe slightly surpass) an OS Speed XZB spec III with identical pipe/header and cost less.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Arctic RC
I buy what I think is the best product even if it is a bit pricy, reason is that I want the best equipment so I'm not able to blame the equipment for my poor results. I know I have good stuff and yes it cost a dollar or two but in the end I can only blame myself and my own skills.
If you consider this to be a sport like dirt bikes, F1, speed boats or something similar, this is the only sport you are able to have the same equipment as the pro's and then it all come down to you own skills . And if you start with the mentioned sports above you will see that it is quite cheap with rc racing.
I have had GO engines, FX and REDS and REDS is by far the best engines I have had. I will go with OS speed spec 3 next season just to try it and this is my point, everyone will tell you that different brand is best for the buck according to their own experiance, budget or skill lever of tuning. I think it is much more of a personell opinion of what you want from an engine.
GO engines is in my opinion inconsistent in tune and has a short lifespan but is cheap.
FX is more consistent in tune, has a strong bottom but will fade in mid and top end and has a better lifespan than GO engines by a few gallons.
REDS is easy to tune, hold a tune from day to day really good, strong and smooth powerband through out the rpm range, real easy to break in comparison to the other two mentioned and has good longivity.
The take aways are that you will get what you pay for and nitro racing can be real fun and easy but it can also be a pain in the a.. If you have poor equipment especially if you have a bad day with a bad engine that won't preform.
This is just my own opinion and I'm sorry for the long post.
Don't forget about your progession as an engine tuner yourself - Go, FX, Reds.. The last one is the one you say is easiest to tune. Which also means at the point you're saying that you also have the most experience. I've had Go's last forever and be ridiculously easy to tune. So have many others.

Variables...
Old 09-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by captain america
How are REDS overpriced? You can get a R5R for about $250, which is a fantastic engine, easy to tune and keeps its tune. By contrast, an Alpha (glorified Taiwanese firecracker) is about $200-220.

The same REDS R5R with TNS mods will match (and maybe slightly surpass) an OS Speed XZB spec III with identical pipe/header and cost less.
Been a couple years since I was actively shopping for engines, but my prices were different. R5 €250, Alphas €180ish..

And this is what's wrong with the RC car world: most people nowadays would say the original Reds R5 - an overpriced Picco rebadge, no better than the other Picco rebadges available at the time for cheaper - is not even worth having.

I recently got into planes, and it's so refreshing that the perception isn't there the way it is in cars, that you HAVE to have whatever's new. AND pay a premium for it. You can buy an old plane and people don't stare at you wide-eyed for flying a dinosaur. Go to a car race with a 4-5 year old(on the market I mean) engine and people stare in amazement that it even works. Part of the problem is the car scene is full of younger people with not much perspective. The plane world has older guys with thicker skin and a better BS-meter, who know that you don't need to pay for the wheel being reinvented every year. I also think there's too much motocross influence. RC has nothing to do with motocross, so whatever happens there is irrelevant. But all these guys come from motocross and are like "500 bucks for a Speed? Heck, that's a bargain compared to what motocross costs.."

Anyway, people can and will buy what they want. But RC cars has just gotten retarded with people being so eager to go throw money at whatever the car companies promise is the newest and greatest thing. And Reds is one of those companies afaic.

I recently went to a race to just watch, and there was a stand selling stuff. They had one engine I could see - a €380 Bullit/Speed. Yeah right.. Oh wait, they had another one back in the dark corner of the table - a Reds R5R - "only" €280... €280 is not cheap. That engine is overpriced when you (guys in the States at least) can get an Elite 5 for less than half that. Period. The Reds is no doubt a good engine, but it's sure as hexx not twice as good as the Elite 5.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Oh that's apples to oranges. A Saito 72 4 banger from the 90s can still perform with the best but that's a design that remains relatively unchanged over the years. Car engines have come a long way from head design to weight cranks to low cg heads to two peice heads/buttons just plenty of Variables.

Ps the old Saito .72 is my favorit mill since I was 12 lol love those darn motors lol
Old 09-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Tech Champion

But how much - seriously - of all these "new" things in nitro engines, can the ordinary club racer - not to mention a beginner.. - really get a significant advantage out of??

Honestly, most guys who've been racing for a long time could take a 5-6 year old chassis and put in an 8-year old VSPEC or P5XLT or even a perhaps slightly over grunty Jammin JPX .21, and tune it down.. - or whatever and do great..

These companies are not reinventing the wheel every year - despite all the hype hype hype... Take it from a Redskins fan - hype is meaningless. Ha ha..

The way it should be is, customers exert pressure for lower prices. In RC car racing it's the opposite. If OS or Reds introduce an $800 "new" nitro engine, and some pro pushes it, people will rush out to buy it. Sorry, it's completely retarded.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Tech Addict

Tell ya what. You keep on keepin on with whatever budget friendly engine you want
Old 09-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have tried a lot of engines and if you have to go cheap get a p5xlt or an elite 5. They are easy to tune and drive. The reds r5r is a great engine with tons of power, tune well and get good mileage. If money isn't a problem get 2 of any of the above engines.

I love os speeds, can't wait to try my new b2101. But no need to have to worry about that expensive of an engine.

Buy something reasonable and put 5 or more gallons through it and learn how to drive and tune.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:01 AM
Tech Addict

But how much - seriously - of all these "new" things in nitro engines, can the ordinary club racer - not to mention a beginner.. - really get a significant advantage out of??

Honestly, most guys who've been racing for a long time could take a 5-6 year old chassis and put in an 8-year old VSPEC or P5XLT or even a perhaps slightly over grunty Jammin JPX .21, and tune it down.. - or whatever and do great..

These companies are not reinventing the wheel every year - despite all the hype hype hype... Take it from a Redskins fan - hype is meaningless. Ha ha..

The way it should be is, customers exert pressure for lower prices. In RC car racing it's the opposite. If OS or Reds introduce an $800 "new" nitro engine, and some pro pushes it, people will rush out to buy it. Sorry, it's completely retarded.
nailed it!

itīs all about the "shut up & take my money" effect, end of story.

i am still waiting for an engine that performs better than my 2005 RB WS7II.
or my OS speed short stroke.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Amen to that!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Don't forget about your progession as an engine tuner yourself - Go, FX, Reds.. The last one is the one you say is easiest to tune. Which also means at the point you're saying that you also have the most experience. I've had Go's last forever and be ridiculously easy to tune. So have many others.

Variables...
Ops, you are right and I can't argue with that.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro engine

i prettysure im going to go with the noverossi elite 5 but
what pipe so i get to go with it that is somewhat cheap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.