Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Can a bad clutch affect engine tuning ? >

Can a bad clutch affect engine tuning ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a bad clutch affect engine tuning ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Can a bad clutch affect engine tuning ?

I''m running an OS speed Xzb for more than 3 gallons and so far no problem, engine is as expected : a beast and so easy.

However recently my engine tuning is very unstable , cannot rev without flaming out, idle very high then go down suddenly, no low end rpm at all (push hard on the throttle to make the car running)

After spending an hour trying to find a correct tuning, I gave up, and opened the clutch, found out that the clutch shoes are very worn and the flywheel nut was loose, the pinion gear is badly worn in the inside as well.

My question: can the above mentioned issue affect my engine behavior (ie tuninng)?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-14-2016, 02:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carpetdriver
I''m running an OS speed Xzb for more than 3 gallons and so far no problem, engine is as expected : a beast and so easy.

However recently my engine tuning is very unstable , cannot rev without flaming out, idle very high then go down suddenly, no low end rpm at all (push hard on the throttle to make the car running)

After spending an hour trying to find a correct tuning, I gave up, and opened the clutch, found out that the clutch shoes are very worn and the flywheel nut was loose, the pinion gear is badly worn in the inside as well.

My question: can the above mentioned issue affect my engine behavior (ie tuninng)?

Thanks for the help
Sounds like the clutch is most likely the issue.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

see the clutch shoe and pinion gear....

Old 06-14-2016, 02:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bash bros
Sounds like the clutch is most likely the issue.
Can it affect my tuning ?
Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

even though the clutch is quite worn that doesn't match the issues you are having with the motors tune, the reving high to take off will be the worn clutch shoes.
I'd check for a bad bearing and air leak, plug, tank pressure, bad fuel or even a rod going so definitly strip it down for an inspection.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

a loose flywheel will do exactly what you describe
Old 06-14-2016, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carpetdriver

Thanks for the help
I've had the flywheel nut back out on a few occasions. It caused flameouts and most noticeably the clutch would engage very early / stay engaged. The clutch being engaged early took away a lot of acceleration.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by E1 Diablo
I've had the flywheel nut back out on a few occasions. It caused flameouts and most noticeably the clutch would engage very early / stay engaged. The clutch being engaged early took away a lot of acceleration.
I'll try with a new clutch and pinion gear and see how this helps my engine tuning.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by curacing2
even though the clutch is quite worn that doesn't match the issues you are having with the motors tune, the reving high to take off will be the worn clutch shoes.
I'd check for a bad bearing and air leak, plug, tank pressure, bad fuel or even a rod going so definitly strip it down for an inspection.
I've checked the fuel tank , no issue at all, pressure is good, fuel is a brand new byron 25% , changed the rod to a new Kyosho blue one .

However bearing was completly destroyed though.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, it can.
Slipping shoes (due poor breakin/drivein), hanging shoes (due mushrooming/spring issues), earlier engagement (due weakened springs) - all that can turn nitro pleasure into PITA.