Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
New Losi 350 destroyed by shattered crank bearing >

New Losi 350 destroyed by shattered crank bearing

New Losi 350 destroyed by shattered crank bearing

Old 06-08-2016, 04:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Micah78
Thankfully your engine was just a Losi 350 lol! I had the same thing happen to a Clockwork modified Nova .28. My switch on my reciever pack went bad and off went my RC8T across my yard. It hit a boulder and flipped upside down. Then it wailed like a banshee till I grabbed it and stopped it with my shoe on the flywheel. It also gave me a "rug burn" from the ballooning tires getting my leg. I was still in my break in period and never got to see what my $450+ engine could do. The high RPM spun a crank bearing and sucked it through the engine. My piston looked like yours!
Wow, that's scary. My condolences! I have a spring installed that hopefully pulls the carb close should I ever end up in a power-loss situation. The spring is not strong enough to pull overcome the servo when the engine is stopped but I hope that with a running engine, the vibrations help to close the carb. Luckily never had to find out.
I've installed a Nova R21 that I had around.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FabianT5
Wow, that's scary. My condolences! I have a spring installed that hopefully pulls the carb close should I ever end up in a power-loss situation. The spring is not strong enough to pull overcome the servo when the engine is stopped but I hope that with a running engine, the vibrations help to close the carb. Luckily never had to find out.
I had a throttle return spring and overlooked using it. It's probably the first time I ran a nitro without one. It's on my current engine though! I also don't use a switch for my reciever batt anymore. I just plug and unplug my battery now.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FabianT5
Even if it slows the car a little bit by closing the carb., it would be enough to catch the car and stop it. I'm driving on a beach so it is too risky not to use spring or else it might end up in salty water.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Rookie

Update: Kudos to the Horizon Hobby Service Center. I sent this engine to Horizon Hobby and without any complications, they notified me that they are going to replace the entire engine for free!! That's awesome.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i ruined a like TT 21 a few years ago by not knowing how to tune it. the piston turned black and would not turn over. I replaced it with an OS vg21 and that was a damn good engine.