No carb inserts

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default No carb inserts

Received my modified Mito 7 from TNS, it's a beast! Question I have, what would be the effect of running with NO carb insert?
I'm not concerned with fuel economy, just as long as it holds a tune. I know I could simply experiment, but I thought I'd throw this out anyway.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've never tried it so I won't bother guessing what the results would be, but if you want silly top end you could also try a larger venturi like 8.5 or 9mm
Old 03-09-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would think no insert would give you better top end IF you could get the tune right, but throttle response and bottom end would be horrible.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 AM
Tech Lord

I have raced many times onroad w/o an insert, does not feel differen than with a 9mm insert. The hole in the carb is with onroad 9mm, If it is also 9mm with the offroad carb then yes, you can have lots of power and if you do not use it right a bad milage.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro or nothin
Received my modified Mito 7 from TNS, it's a beast! Question I have, what would be the effect of running with NO carb insert?
I'm not concerned with fuel economy, just as long as it holds a tune. I know I could simply experiment, but I thought I'd throw this out anyway.
I sent that engine with a custom drilled carb insert.....you should be good to go

removing insert affects the tune and how the engine comes up off idle.... you are definitely better off with a insert then without
Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi Neal, that's why the 5.48mm insert is more like 8mm or so. I was scratching my head trying to figure this out, and thanks for the tip.
Fwiw, I took the insert out and re-tuned yesterday. Had to richen the high end substantially, and power became difficult to manage. The engine was more of an off/on switch, with "on" being a ridiculous amount of power and very hard to handle on a loose surface. Your drilled insert is going back in as we speak, and I'll re-tune when I get back out, then I will leave well enough alone.

BTW, love the engine Neal, you will be my source for the foreseen future. Thanks
Old 03-10-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro or nothin
Hi Neal, that's why the 5.48mm insert is more like 8mm or so. I was scratching my head trying to figure this out, and thanks for the tip.
Fwiw, I took the insert out and re-tuned yesterday. Had to richen the high end substantially, and power became difficult to manage. The engine was more of an off/on switch, with "on" being a ridiculous amount of power and very hard to handle on a loose surface. Your drilled insert is going back in as we speak, and I'll re-tune when I get back out, then I will leave well enough alone.

BTW, love the engine Neal, you will be my source for the foreseen future. Thanks
Its a little over 8 mm....I have been drilling the inserts on all my engines lately....

and yes you will lose power down low with no insert, then you will get a big surge towards the midrange...
Old 03-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

I re-installed the drilled out insert, and re-tuned. I like the power delivery much better. The bottom end is stronger, and spools up quickly when asked to.
Very drivable now, but gobs of power when needed.