Wiki Posts
Search

Break-In Fuel Necessary ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Break-In Fuel Necessary ?

I've always used a lower 20% nitro fuel to break in an engine. Then, up it to 30% for tune/race.

I was thinking about using a "break in" fuel with synthetic oils on a new engine this season.

Pros vs. Cons ???
Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

I don't think synthetic oils are best for break in. Go check out Bones Brew fuels and get a quart of his break in fuel. I promise it will not disappoint.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Not necessary. Run-in the engine on the fuel it's going to race on.
If your using a reputable fuel with a solid and proven lubrication package, the amount of good lubricants your engine will get by running somewhat rich initially will suffice nicely for bedding in.
Then just steadily lean it out as the run-in process wears on.
That way it's getting the same fuel properties through it right from the start.
No need for special run-in potions. We have never used them (on the run-in bench), nor recommend them to our customers - and we get great performance and longevity with all our customers engines.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 PM
am
Tech Master

If you are using byrons 25/30-11 you do not need a breakein fuel. If you are using worldsblend i advice to have 2-3% Byron Lubebooster added to the fuel.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

No.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Bones Breakin just speeds up the process of breakin.. . I have been personally using that formula for many years with fantastic results..I would not say its necessary but it certainly helps !
Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Bones break is really good. Shortens the break in time a lot.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:05 AM
Tech Champion

How does it shorten the break-in time?

I tend to think break-in is overrated. Talk of two-gallon break-ins is vastly exaggerated IMO. No engine should "need" more than half a gallon to be broken in and ready to rip, if maybe with a slightly richer setting to be on the safe side... I've even seen people talk about doing eight break-in tanks on super tight Alphas for ex., then throwing them on the track at race pace and having them run eight gallons without issue. No, I didn't experience that first hand, but my first-hand experience leads me to believe it's entirely realistic.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:30 AM
Tech Addict

itīs all about the purity and quality of elements going thru an engine.
thatīs something people often forgot or even donīt realize.

highest purity available on the market for methanol, nitro & oil is essential.

people buying 500$ engines and give it crappy food and no clean air for example.
that will shorten break-in as well as life-time in general
Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
How does it shorten the break-in time?

I tend to think break-in is overrated. Talk of two-gallon break-ins is vastly exaggerated IMO. No engine should "need" more than half a gallon to be broken in and ready to rip, if maybe with a slightly richer setting to be on the safe side... I've even seen people talk about doing eight break-in tanks on super tight Alphas for ex., then throwing them on the track at race pace and having them run eight gallons without issue. No, I didn't experience that first hand, but my first-hand experience leads me to believe it's entirely realistic.
Bones break in fuel has some additives that seats piston and sleeve faster than a regular Nitro fuel. You will need just a quarter gallon or less for completing a break in even on very tight pinch engines.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

I don't like the sound of that to be honest.........
If a really tight engine is bedding in with only 1/4 of a gallon, then friction is the only thing working towards that outcome......
I can't imagine any lubricant additive causing accelerated wear, so what sort of additives are we talking about ?
Why would you want to see accelerated wear initially, then change over to a race fuel designed to do exactly the opposite ?
Everyone to their own I guess, but it sort of seems counter productive to me.
Purchase an engine with a precise piston sleeve tolerance to start with, and run it in slightly rich on race fuel. The KISS principle at work.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grizz1
I don't like the sound of that to be honest.........
If a really tight engine is bedding in with only 1/4 of a gallon, then friction is the only thing working towards that outcome......
I can't imagine any lubricant additive causing accelerated wear, so what sort of additives are we talking about ?
Why would you want to see accelerated wear initially, then change over to a race fuel designed to do exactly the opposite ?
Everyone to their own I guess, but it sort of seems counter productive to me.
Purchase an engine with a precise piston sleeve tolerance to start with, and run it in slightly rich on race fuel. The KISS principle at work.
You are right, there are a variety of opinions on break-in fuel.

I've known Brent for a long time and trust his products. I have used the break-in fuel with good results, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Sweet. I'm just curious as to how it achieves the results mentioned.

I've heard the Bones Brew stuff is good, so I'm not out to knock anyone's products etc - just interested in the comments made that's all.
Always looking to learn something new.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

I've heard the Bones Brew stuff is good, so I'm not out to knock anyone's products etc - just interested in the comments made that's all.
Just go over to the Bones section and read through it for all the info needed.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did you learn anything new?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.