Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro percentage question ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Nitro percentage question ?

I am currently running 25% nitro fuel and am going to switch over to byrons race blend and was wondering would switching over to 30% give any performance gains if not what are the advantages or differences of running a higher nitro content? I've also noticed most fuels drop the castor content down to 9% when the nitro content goes up to 30% can anyone explain why this is common for fuel manufacturers to do this? In what way would 9% effect the engine and/or performance from 11%?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The 9% oil will have a crisper response to throttle input compared to the 11%. Engine protection/longevity seems to be the same between the 11% and 9%.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fizzy
I am currently running 25% nitro fuel and am going to switch over to byrons race blend and was wondering would switching over to 30% give any performance gains if not what are the advantages or differences of running a higher nitro content? I've also noticed most fuels drop the castor content down to 9% when the nitro content goes up to 30% can anyone explain why this is common for fuel manufacturers to do this? In what way would 9% effect the engine and/or performance from 11%?
Because a percent is figured as PART/WHOLE. So when nitro percentage goes up, you can't have more than 100% of a solution. So some choose to cut down the oil content, others choose to cut down just methanol, and some choose to cut down on both when adding nitro.

More nitro, regardless of the percent, means more HP. Because stoich for nitro is such a low ratio, it also means more fuel consumption as nitro percentage comes up.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Going to 30% will make a noticeable increase in power. Interesting that when you got from 30 to 25 the loss of power is not felt as much. As above you will notice a decrease in runtime. 15-30 Sec per tank
Old 12-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ok thanks for the input,it sounds like the switch to 30% is the way to go
Old 12-30-2015, 02:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run 30% because it keeps the carburetor tune more stable within the wide range of temperatures I experience from day-to-day on the Mid-Atlantic coast. I usually only have to add .1-.2mm of shimming to the cylinder head to compensate for the higher nitro content.

I also add 1% pure castor oil to my Byron's fuel. So technically the fuel has very slightly less than 30% nitro because of that added oil volume, but it's not enough to make a difference in performance. The extra castor oil makes a HUGE difference in engine temperature and longevity, though. I only run RTR engines, the Losi 3.4 and Picco P-0 being my fanciest engines and the rest being HPI, GO, and Traxxas engines, and I used to have to replace the piston and cylinder once a year. This year none of my engines required any service whatsoever, and they're much less prone to temperature spikes from hard running. I've noticed a decrease in darkened oil dumped out of the exhaust pipe after the first break-in bench run, too.