Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Clutch shoes spitting out plastic bits? >

Clutch shoes spitting out plastic bits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clutch shoes spitting out plastic bits?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Clutch shoes spitting out plastic bits?

So I just finished building my Savage X SS. I started doing the advanced break-in method. I'm 4 tanks in and have noticed black plastic shavings (small bits) around my clutch bell. I've taken it apart and the shoes have one small area kinda warn down. Is this a problem? I'm looking directly at the manual and the shoes are on correctly. Doesn't seem like any oil got onto the clutch shoes.

I know these need to be replaced every gallon or so, but I've never heard of this happening after 4 tanks. Maybe they just need to be warn down a little to shape the clutch bell? I'm not too sure. No money really left either.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sounds about normal

Just to be sure you might want to check your clutch bell and make sure it's shimmed up good and the bearings are still fine. If it's too loose that can be bad for the shoes, and on the flip side you want just a tiny bit of play in it so that it's not binding or burning up bearings.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by bash bros
Sounds about normal

Just to be sure you might want to check your clutch bell and make sure it's shimmed up good and the bearings are still fine. If it's too loose that can be bad for the shoes, and on the flip side you want just a tiny bit of play in it so that it's not binding or burning up bearings.
Thanks. I'll add an extra shim since I can wiggle it slightly over a little. Also bought some aluminum Ofna shoes. They're great!
Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nice... I think alum is the way to go, especially 7075

With alum just remember to inspect the shoes regularly. The edges will mushroom and need to be sanded smooth again or they can get caught up and not engage properly