O.s vs nova ????

Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default O.s vs nova ????

Hey guys I'm currently getting into my next build
I've got the mbx7r on the way and having a hard time deciding on an engine
I have never ran a nova or an o.s so don't know which way to go
I mostly club race nothing serious on dirt tracks but looking to get a little more competitive so I wanna build a buggy that can compete at a higher level
Any recommendations would be great
Also gone need some help on a proper pipe set
Thanks boys
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Both are great engines. Personally I stick with OS but you can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

it gonna be your first nitro engine?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by vandalzzz
it gonna be your first nitro engine?
No I've been running nitro for about 6 years now, just have never run those motors
I usually run lrp, werks and reedy engines
Old 06-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm on my second nova and both have been a pleasure,my first is a beat b4 plus which is basically a plus 4 btt wc and it's about 1.25 gallons old and already a 10 minute engine with tons of power my second is a p5 clio which in my 8t 2.0 even though just finished break in is really powerful and both were a pleasure to break in.

But both are great so really budget is the only constraint really.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Regular

os makes a rock solid engine mite be a little more expensive but they r supper easy to tune and have a lot of power with a smooth bottom
Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by firecat
os makes a rock solid engine mite be a little more expensive but they r supper easy to tune and have a lot of power with a smooth bottom
+1
Old 06-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ive been running the werks s7 tuned. O.s based and a nova based fusion x3lfm. And i will say o.s is a rocket but the motor i have is a bit to much for a buggy. Fusion has much better usable power. But I'm just comparing the2 that i have. Whichever o.s the s7tuned is based off of im guessing its more of a truggy motor!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Decisions decisions- Like everyone has said mate- OS is super easy to tune, has SO much power, running a OS 2060 or 2090 pipe will make your new 7r undrivable with so much POWER! It can be tamed with your clutch set-up though, making it a drivable car. Nova however make a engine that has the same power, however it delivers that power smooth as, it has excellent bottom end power for those tracks with out of corner larger jumps!
Basically the two are close in performance, with Nova being a little more smooth on power, both the same price(nearly), so it will depend on your driving preference, OS-Super Power. Nova- Smooth Power!
Good Luck with your New ride !
Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well said.... That's my findings exactly!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Os super powa LOL
Old 06-17-2015, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

You may want to consider the OS, if you take a look around there are a lot of motors based on the B2101.

Also follow a good run in procedure and make sure the motor is heated BEFORE you start, as near to 200F as you can get it.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:28 PM
SEF
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

These are the only two engines I ever run these days after trying so many different brands. Love them both, but they feel completely different. OS in truggy 90% of the time, but in buggy, both engines can result in fast lap times depending on the track.

If you say that an OS has smooth bottom, you probably either never ran a Nova or think that a Nova is soooo soft on bottom that it is unbearable to drive

Running a completely stock engine, nothing really beats the power of an OS Spec II from bottom to top. But OS engines are such monsters, and you will find that lap times may likely go down when you switch to a Nova because it is so much more controlled and usable. If you have a light switch for a throttle finger, then you may find that the OS engine is just too much no matter how you set up your clutch or gearing.

Tuning wise, OS is super easy to tune. For break in, OS can have a race tune after about a gallon and are easy to break in. Nova on the other hand will require more time before you can have a stable race tune. I tend to get more total life from my Nova engines than OS, but the extra gallon it takes to break in a Nova engine might negate this advantage. Can't go wrong with either, but they are completely different and both have their pros and cons.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've always been partial to Nova. Especially a modded nova.