R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default One of these.

Please help me decide the better engine. I will mostly be racing this on a medium size 1/8 track. This is gonna be installed on a Tekno NB48. Listed are my choices. Please give me your opinions and insights.

1. Associated Reedy 121VR-ST .21
2. LRP ZR.21X Spec.2 Nitro Competition Engine
3. Werks Racing B5-Pro .21 Racing Engine
4. Werks Racing B6-Pro .21 Racing Engine
5. Alpha Lutz Edition 5+2 Port Competition .21 Engine
6. RB Products Blast V21 Limited Edition .21
7. Novarossi S21P5XLT .21

I know there are many many more, this is just a quick run down so I can get a idea about the engines out there today. I've been running electric for the past 4-5 years, and I decided I want to try a nitro buggy also. Any and all help is appreciated. If there are engines I missed that I need to take note of please feel free to list them. I kinda want to keep the cost around $250 unless I can get it from tower on easy pay.. thanks
Tekno Racing: ET48- Viper vtx8/Tekin Gen 2 2000kv truggy
cannonballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonballs View Post
Please help me decide the better engine. I will mostly be racing this on a medium size 1/8 track. This is gonna be installed on a Tekno NB48. Listed are my choices. Please give me your opinions and insights.

1. Associated Reedy 121VR-ST .21
2. LRP ZR.21X Spec.2 Nitro Competition Engine
3. Werks Racing B5-Pro .21 Racing Engine
4. Werks Racing B6-Pro .21 Racing Engine
5. Alpha Lutz Edition 5+2 Port Competition .21 Engine
6. RB Products Blast V21 Limited Edition .21
7. Novarossi S21P5XLT .21

I know there are many many more, this is just a quick run down so I can get a idea about the engines out there today. I've been running electric for the past 4-5 years, and I decided I want to try a nitro buggy also. Any and all help is appreciated. If there are engines I missed that I need to take note of please feel free to list them. I kinda want to keep the cost around $250 unless I can get it from tower on easy pay.. thanks

Let me help you narrow the list a bit.

1. Associated Reedy 121VR-ST .21 Havent used it but hear its a pretty good one in buggy.

3. Werks Racing B5-Pro .21 Racing Engine. This motor is a torque beast. Mainly used in truggys but will work good in a buggy. Very strong bottom good top end and high reving. Match it with a 2057 or 2058 pipe and you have a lethal combo. Easy to tune and holds it well.

4. Werks Racing B6-Pro .21 Racing Engine Perfect buggy engine. Smooth bottom great mid range and screaming top. Same pipe choices as the B5. Better suited for a buggy than the B5 unless you have unlimited traction 100% of the time ( highly doubtfull in off road)

5. Alpha Lutz Edition 5+2 Port Competition .21 Engine. Pretty dang close to the B6. Probbably a touch more on the bottom and mid range though. Get the Lutz pipe or 2091 for this thing. Can be a little finicky to get the tune just right because of the long needle, but once its there, it will hold it till it blows up.

6. RB Products Blast V21 Limited Edition .21. Again, havent used it but herd its really good too.

My recomendation would be the B6 or the Lutz. Both great buggy engines, great on fuel ( 9-10 minutes easy) smooth usable power, and keeps their tune when you get it where you want. I personnaly had a hell of a time with my Dragon. It has the same carb as the Lutz. Once I replaced it with a short needle carb, It runs like a dream. I make +10- minute stops and plenty of power all around on a 2091 pipe.
RC Pro Racing VA, Awesome Hobbies(RIP), Debbies RC World VA, Thunder Alley Raceway NC
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Of the motors on that list the Nova p5 is what I would run . The Fusion X are worth a look . X5 race in the buggy and a X5 lightning in truggy. The Fusion line is all based on Nova parts made specifically for them.

Houston's engine service is where to find them.

Last edited by JsK; 08-07-2014 at 09:26 PM.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Lutz
RB
Nova
Not necessary in that order. But of that list those are the engines I would stick with. Reliability, longevity, branding...
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

FUXION X3 OR X5 Race. If you can control it, i.e. smooth throttle or you want an engine for large fast tracks then an X5 Lightning. Run times and tune- ability on these are unreal. And Monty is the man. I Cant wait to get home and run mine.
AKA Tires
Byron's Fuel
donbeatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsK View Post
Of the motors on that list the Nova p5 is what I would run . The Fusion X are worth a look . X5 race in the buggy and a X5 lightning in truggy. The Fusion line is all based on Nova parts made specifically for them.

Houston's engine service is where to find them.
X5 race in buggy is great! Only a couple $ more then a P5. If you want to spend more you can get it modded.
beidle99 is offline   Reply With Quote