R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum

Old 07-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Stepping up from rtr motors

Just wanted to start a discussion about good replacement .21 motors for the club race level in a rtr buggy. My .28 is going into my truggy build sometime this fall/winter so I will be shopping for a replacement .21.

So far some of the front runners are....

Werks b2, although the max spec rpm seems low

RB rtr replacement. Seems to have real solid specs, transfer ports even though it's only a 3 port motor.

Any other input or experience is appreciated!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Id suggest you take a look at the Arugus line of engines. Based off of Alpha engine, the ones used by Ryan Lutz. They are plenty cheap, but still have a great quality to them.
REX Engines USA
RW Mods
Hoese37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

I think the Alpha Plus line of engines is a great starting (and ending) point if you're looking for value per dollar. Most any engine out there will get you going really. Personally, I would stick with a 5 port engine unless you're looking for fuel mileage for racing purposes. The 3 ports are awesome little engines for sure, but a 5 port will be more useable on and off the track IMHO.

Depending on your budget, I would grab an Alpha Plus Club Racer ($189), or an Alpha Plus Z852 ($209) from www.tritonrc.com. Lance is the distributor for the Alpha line and he offers break in service and all those goodies as well.

You are going to hear 100 different opinions here though as everyone has their own personal favorite engine type. Just pick one that you like (for whatever reason) and run with it. As long as you treat it well, most engines will last you quite a few gallons.
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
Just wanted to start a discussion about good replacement .21 motors for the club race level in a rtr buggy. My .28 is going into my truggy build sometime this fall/winter so I will be shopping for a replacement .21.

So far some of the front runners are....

Werks b2, although the max spec rpm seems low

RB rtr replacement. Seems to have real solid specs, transfer ports even though it's only a 3 port motor.

Any other input or experience is appreciated!
Good question. I'm facing a similar dilemma. Just moved out of electric back into nitro and have a tired old 1/8 buggy. I opted for the Novarossi .21 3-port 'Loco'. Nova's get good reviews here locally. That, and at $169, didn't think I'd get hurt too bad if I made a bad choice. And I won't be racing. Building a track car for running practice laps on off-race days.

One thing I did notice on engine upgrades. The selection of pull-start models is limited. Didn't want to have to buy a starter box. But opted to anyway for the better selection of engines available.

Good luck. Post up what works for you. Cheers, -AC-
AHR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I ran a Werks B2 for awhile. What a great engine and a great price. I wouldnt hesitate to run one, I still have it in my pit bag as a back up.

Novarossi P5XLT is a great engine for 200 bucks as well. P5's are my all time favorite engine.

RB Blast series. Great running engines.

What I like about all the engines listed above is they all run great on a 2058 pipe.

But like mentioned before, go for what you can afford and have fun with them. Many good choices out there now.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Werks, Alpha, Argus, RB Blast.. Take you pick.

Keep an eye on amain - the RB Blast and/or Rally will go on sale eventually. Excellent value for money.. (if on sale.. They're raised the price a bit recently..) Any of these engines mentioned so far should be awesome.. I like the RB Blasts because you're basically getting what used to be $400 engines for half the price.. (and sometimes less..)
-LST2 #1 with Losi 454 & LST2 #2 with Dynamite Big Red .28
-Ofna DM-1 with silver Mach 427/2047
-TT MT4 G3
Herrsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
JsK
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

H.E.S engines service, Fusion X engines. Novarossi manufactured to Montys
specs. The X3 is a great little engine that wont break the bank.

Nova carbs are head and shoulders above the taiwan imports in this price
range.

Good carb = easy tuning =

Crappy carb = tuning nightmare =

Last edited by JsK; 07-15-2014 at 12:46 PM.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
Tech Champion

There are no real crappy carbs anymore on race engines.. Maybe a really poor RTR engine.., but the idea that a Taiwanese engine means a bad carb is way outdated - and way wrong.
-TT MT4 G3
Old 07-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #9
JsK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
There are no real crappy carbs anymore on race engines.. Maybe a really poor RTR engine.., but the idea that a Taiwanese engine means a bad carb is way outdated - and way wrong.
When was the last time you actually ran one of your cars for 30-45 minutes
straight, at race pace and fully heat soaked them? I have seen plenty of
engine sponsored drivers with a OS or Nova carb plugged in there motor.

You pay your money and take your chances, why not just buy a Nova or OS
form the start.
JsK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
I think the only carbs that there would be problems with are ones that are all aluminum, or don't have an insulating sleeve on the neck. The alpha F850 was also on my list, not sure if that was over my head to club racing from a rtr or not though.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
That's not true at all. Many of the "budget" engines have carbs that are complete junk.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MotoGod Send a message via Yahoo to MotoGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Driver View Post
I think the only carbs that there would be problems with are ones that are all aluminum, or don't have an insulating sleeve on the neck. The alpha F850 was also on my list, not sure if that was over my head to club racing from a rtr or not though.
F850 (Club Racer) is a pretty awesome engine actually. It's not the rocketship of the Alpha Plus line, but it's no slouch either. I actually raced one a few times and was pleasantly surprised by the power output through the entire power range. Great fuel mileage and great power....all for under $200 ;-)
Thanks to my 2015 Sponsors: LutzRC, RadioPost, AKA Tires, RC Addition Products, Nitro Pro Fuels
MotoGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
That's not true at all. Many of the "budget" engines have carbs that are complete junk.
Name them.
-TT MT4 G3
Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Name them.
I'm not in the habit of bashing product. There is a reason OS and Novarossi combined outsell all other engines and there is also a reason 8 out of 10 racers have Novarossi, OS or Picco carbs on their engines. I agree there are dozens of great engines in the $200 price range and you should see what a difference it makes when you put a quality carb on those $200 engines.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #15
Tech Champion

If somebody approaches a Go, Alpha, or Argus without prejudice and wants to make it work, it will work fine. I think what frequently happens is, people who are used to an OS or Nova carb, think a different engine's carb sucks because maybe it tunes differently than what they are used to, so they go back to the OS or Nova carb. Or maybe at very high levels an OS or Nova carb can mean 12 more seconds of run-time, so maybe for Pros or something they do it for that reason(which would not exclude the previous reason of just preferring what they're used to..) Look at this Pato whatshisface guy sponsored by Go - he wins stuff all over the place - truggy, GT, etc..

I strongly believe Go, Alpha, Argus etc carbs are just fine, and that there's an awful lot of baseless prejudice against them because they come from Taiwan. And how dumb is that? All of the rest of our cars do too... I've raced an hour buggy main with a Mach 427 (and several with truggy) - not even a real race engine..., and had no issues.. And the absolute worst carbs I've ever had were a Novarossi 528XR and an Orion .24. The latter was an absolute turd - and an expensive turd. I also raced a Go 3-port once, which was awesome. You don't have to throw money at engines to have a good one. At least not at a club type level...
-TT MT4 G3