Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Buggy or Truggy better for Break-In >

Buggy or Truggy better for Break-In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy or Truggy better for Break-In

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Buggy or Truggy better for Break-In

Tried to find a clear answer on this and not much comes up...
I am curious in 'real world' experience in which is better for the longevity of a .21
Would breaking it in a buggy yield more life from the engine or the truggy?
Does it even matter...? Same results will happen either way...
Maybe it depends on which of the 2 (buggy, truggy) it ends up in...
So if a .21 was destined for a truggy would babying it during breaking it in a buggy fair better?
Or if a .21 was destined for a buggy would giving it a heavier load of a truggy make the engine last longer or just broken in quicker?

Maybe a scenario...
2 same exact engines broken in identical on a servo controlled break-in bench.
Same exact break-in program ran on both engines and same temps kept and recorded.
Now to finish the break-in on the track... Buggy or Truggy will yield more life from the engine?

Now I know we can all bench race some answers
But I'm looking for actual experience and not 'it doesn't matter'...
So if you got something to share please do.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

truggy...... more load at lower RPM.....I like that better as its easier to build heat while keeping the RPM reduced...I also like doing it in short grass to further increase the load......
Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

That has been my first choice and what I have always done.
But just have always been curious as to maybe less of a load maybe yields more life from the engine...
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Less load will benefit the engine.
Otherwise the manufacturer would just say "Please use full throttle from the beginning and preferable in tall grass".
Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Break in

I have tried a lot of methods over the years but have lately been mounting in the car and running at about 1/4 rpm or what I would guess is about 10,000 rpm on the box all the while checking temps and keeping it around 200 degrees. I run it non stop for an hour like this and after that run it slightly rich for a few tanks at the races. It has been great for me. I do mix up break in fuel like novarossi puts in the manual . 14 % oil 6 % nitro.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Maximo
truggy...... more load at lower RPM.....I like that better as its easier to build heat while keeping the RPM reduced...I also like doing it in short grass to further increase the load......
Originally Posted by Klimpen717
Less load will benefit the engine.
Otherwise the manufacturer would just say "Please use full throttle from the beginning and preferable in tall grass".
Id trust the expertise and experience from Neal.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by latemodel13
I have tried a lot of methods over the years but have lately been mounting in the car and running at about 1/4 rpm or what I would guess is about 10,000 rpm on the box all the while checking temps and keeping it around 200 degrees. I run it non stop for an hour like this and after that run it slightly rich for a few tanks at the races. It has been great for me. I do mix up break in fuel like novarossi puts in the manual . 14 % oil 6 % nitro.

Doesnt really make a crapload of difference for a break in , although I will agree truggy puts more "load" on the engines as they seem to wear quite a bit quicker in a truck as opposed to a buggy . Breaking in is breaking in