Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Buyer warning Protek Starter Box >

Buyer warning Protek Starter Box

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buyer warning Protek Starter Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I understand what your trying to say Sean but it does not matter how the chassis is positioned on the box. We stripped it down to a bare chassis and moved the wheel and the posts every which way but Sunday. The wheel just does not come up out of the box high enough and the wheel and motors are attached to one plate that can only be raised a few MM's before the assembly hits the top plate of the starter box. The only way this starter box is going to work with any vehicle in stock form is if the car has a flywheel that is almost level with the bottom of the chassis and we all know what happens the first time you land on a rock. This whole box gets a giant Pffffftttt from me. I was so happy that Protek made a duel 775 box that we could retail for under $80 but it needs 3 hours of labor to work properly. I advise people skip this item until Protek gets it figured out.
OK I think I get what you're saying. I've never had this box in my hands but judging from the pics, it looks like a Mugen box with big plastic locator arms on it. Those arms will raise the chassis a bit which is a problem because that box is designed to have the chassis absolutely flat against the lid surface.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by merdith6
keep in mind it's a RTR Losi. Most every RTR I have seen has odd high engine mounts for pull starters etc and odd sizes of Flywheels. Losi cars do tend to need the chassis dremeled out a bit even with the lower engine mounts etc...

So it may not be the box. Oh yeah thicker chassis too.
It's an Agama race kit not a RTR Losi. Chassis is 4mm at the flywheel cut out
Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

I have same st.box and met same problems.
Ended with shimming motor plate, grinded about 1.5mm from those plastic loccator arms' inner side and had to dremel some alu from top plate because raised motor assembly was touching it with a belt.
And one note: motors are 750s, not 775s. So i highly regret about not buying Ofna blue instead of this one.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

If you'd move the chassis to the left, so the wheel is centered in the slot and get a normal engine (this one looks very high) I think you'll have no problems.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:28 AM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vandalzzz
I have same st.box and met same problems.
Ended with shimming motor plate, grinded about 1.5mm from those plastic loccator arms' inner side and had to dremel some alu from top plate because raised motor assembly was touching it with a belt.
And one note: motors are 750s, not 775s. So i highly regret about not buying Ofna blue instead of this one.
What did we end up deciding? I think the ProTeK box had about 3.5mm less reach than the OFNA box.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JsK
What did we end up deciding? I think the ProTeK box had about 3.5mm less reach than the OFNA box.
Actual numbers are: tekno NB48 flywheel sits 3mm deep inside the chassis (measured from bottom chassis level to che flywheel itself), st.box' wheel uptravel is only 0.5mm above plastic locator arms (5.5mm above top plate). Ofna' rubber wheel uptravel is 8mm above top plate.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Ofna box ftw! I have 2 of them
Old 05-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by morgoth
If you'd move the chassis to the left, so the wheel is centered in the slot and get a normal engine (this one looks very high) I think you'll have no problems.
Those are the stock agama engine mounts. Because of Agama's 2 stage engine mount system you cannot use any other engine mounts. I've been running agama since first release in USA and have used it with several different boxes. I think what Sean said is correct, this box is not supposed to have any top alignment plates. If people drill holes and screw the alignment tabs directly into the top plate it should work fine.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

FWIW, the Agama mounts are the same as the Kyosho mounts... dimensionally, anyway. Extended Agama mount is common upgrade for K car...

So no, there is nothing out of the ordinary about the engine mount.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Those are the stock agama engine mounts. Because of Agama's 2 stage engine mount system you cannot use any other engine mounts. I've been running agama since first release in USA and have used it with several different boxes. I think what Sean said is correct, this box is not supposed to have any top alignment plates. If people drill holes and screw the alignment tabs directly into the top plate it should work fine.
Same as the Mugen box. The chassis needs to be physically resting on the starter box top plate, not raised above it like the Ofna-style tabs make it. When I had an Agama I ran it no problems with the 34 flywheel and Mugen box.

The problem seems more like the factory put the wrong mounting tabs on the Protek box. It should've came with the Mugen tabs, and the top plate should've been cutout for them.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
Read his post silly

Agama
Ok champ read it 3x and I guess the word agama is banned in CA.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Frank L
Ok champ read it 3x and I guess the word agama is banned in CA.
I thought only JQ was banned in California?
Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I bought the Protek box for our Mugen X7 buggy. We had the same problem. I had to shim up the wheel in the box 1/8" to get enough contact with the 34mm flywheel. Didn't have to modify chassis. Overall the box is really nice. Heavy duty wiring, deans plugs, two motors, and now only $59. A good alternative from the Ofna box.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mbx7 here with stock flywheel and no issues getting the box to work.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vandalzzz
i highly regret about not buying Ofna blue instead of this one.
I have the ofna blue, it's great so you must repent!
Before that I had the old black box dual motor Ofna, it was also great! In fact I still have that too, and it still works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.