Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bad fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

We ran Blue Thunder for 2 years with no issues, it is made by Morgan that also makes Sidewinder. I would consider it as good as Byrons and other top fuels. I havd rebuilt alot of engines ran with Vp lately and they look terrible inside.

Rex
Old 05-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yeah Blue Thunder gets a bad rap but it's actually very good fuel. Not my favorite but one I have used many times with no problems and excellent results.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You guys cannot believe how much crap I have had to eat because my customers bought bad VP fuel then wanted to blame the modified engines for all their running problems....... even when the guys go back to their prized OS Speeds and the flame outs don't stop do you think anyone ever apologizes to poor Neal for blaming him for their fuel ? anyways this is why I am bitter about these craptacular fuel companies and their el cheapo $15/gallon wonder fuels blended by guys who know nothing about fuel and nitro engines.......After all if the price is lower then everyone else's it means the fuel has to top grade right ?

Anyways VP fuel sucks...I have had no less then 50 customers have issues with the stuff...
Old 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think its funny as hell listening to you guys bash VP and praise Byron's when, not to long ago, your beloved BYRONS had the SAME issue that VP is having except on a much MUCH larger scale!!!

Do I run VP? Yes I do. I swapped over from Byron's as soon as I personally got my hands on some of the skunk fuel that was going around.

Have I had any issues with VP? Not a single hiccup in 3 years and 35+ gallons of use.

Am I saying that its not the fuel causing the issues? No, because, let's face it, shit happens, it just hasn't happened to me personally.

And to those that want to bash small time "garage" fuel mixers, I have one thing to say to you...Bones Brew...
Old 05-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hustler777
I think its funny as hell listening to you guys bash VP and praise Byron's when, not to long ago, your beloved BYRONS had the SAME issue that VP is having except on a much MUCH larger scale!!!

Do I run VP? Yes I do. I swapped over from Byron's as soon as I personally got my hands on some of the skunk fuel that was going around.

Have I had any issues with VP? Not a single hiccup in 3 years and 35+ gallons of use.

Am I saying that its not the fuel causing the issues? No, because, let's face it, shit happens, it just hasn't happened to me personally.

And to those that want to bash small time "garage" fuel mixers, I have one thing to say to you...Bones Brew...
You would have to be put into my shoes to understand the frustrations I faced when dealing with the fuel issues that are out there.It wouldn't have been so bad if when there was a bad batch issue that the consumers were made aware, so everyone knew what they were up against and had a leg up when the issues showed up...... However any time there was a issue it was swept under the rug...with Team guys posting online how they have never had any issues, yet behind the scenes the same guys have had to turn back multiple batches for running issues...... Anyways I already regret postin what I did...I think I have to leave now ...
Old 05-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Lol....NAAA, your all good Neal!!! You see the aftermath of the bad fuel. You see what happens when fuel is mixed wrong, ash content too high, crap lube packages, ect, ect...

Now my question is this....has anyone contacted VP and made them aware of the issues going on? I'm curious on where they stand on this...I would hope that they will stand behind their product and do what's right...

But just to be safe, I'm gonna get an order of bones brew in this week. Anything but VP is hard to come by in these parts unless you wanna pay over $45 a gallon for some fuel that has been sitting on the shelf for 3 years lol
Old 05-03-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

some of the best fuel was backyard brewed.....cold fusion was great stuff, just got a case of the bones brew, great stuff. I'm very happy with it. Under $30 a gal. to your door, like to see byrons match that.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaptain crash
some of the best fuel was backyard brewed.....cold fusion was great stuff, just got a case of the bones brew, great stuff. I'm very happy with it. Under $30 a gal. to your door, like to see byrons match that.
+1 to cold fusion. I ran it for many years and sold many gallons, my engines never ran so consistent and looked so clean inside. IMO bones seems to be on par with CFF, bones is even the same color....the biggest issue with fuels is the oil package being consistent, you pair an unstable engine with an inconsistent oil package and they flame. There was a study published a year or 2 ago on several different fuel companies being randomly tested. Most companies failed miserably with a 10% stated oil package ranging from 5-14% more than enough to turn an engine into flame city. Either way bad fuel can ruin a race day...
Old 05-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Tech Champion

Bones is top notch..And the only time I know of any issues with CFF was when they were forced to have their production blended somewhere else..
Old 05-03-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

I CFF was some good stuff and actually one of the "simplest" fuels made. Only 4 ingredients....just goes to show how important and EXACT our fuels have to be in order to perform.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

I CFF was some good stuff and actually one of the "simplest" fuels made. Only 4 ingredients....just goes to show how important and EXACT our fuels have to be in order to perform.
and the issues and bad batches come and go like phantoms..which makes it hard to diagnose all the time......
Old 05-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Yep yep
Old 05-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Again, thanks for everyone's input. I spoke with Brent at Bones Brew, ordered a gallon of 30%. Didn't intend to start a thread bashing any particular brand of fuel, just trying to confirm or reject my notion that bad fuel was the culprit of my engine tuning woes.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Nice

Originally Posted by dcb504
Again, thanks for everyone's input. I spoke with Brent at Bones Brew, ordered a gallon of 30%. Didn't intend to start a thread bashing any particular brand of fuel, just trying to confirm or reject my notion that bad fuel was the culprit of my engine tuning woes.
It certainly could be bad fuel no doubt. I have not been a big fan of that particular fuel for a long time.

I will say it could be the engine, or something else, that is causing the issue. I do use Bones Brew and it is awesome stuff, but you might get someone who knows engines to take it apart and at the very least inspect it and clean it really good. Some engines just don't run good. some need a little help, and others just run forever.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can't make this stuff up!

Two rear bearing failures today - my engine and someone elses - both running VP 30/9!

The rear bearing died today on both my Werks and another guys Werks at our club race. My engine had less than 2 gallons on it! I switched back to VP recently. The engine was broke-in and run with VP Powermaster 30/9 blend the entire time and the bearing went toast today. I haven't opened it yet to see what other problems there may also be, but it sounded absolutely terrible (we're talking marbles in a paint mixer here) and tune fell completely off the wall. It just went so suddenly.

Another guy at the track lost his rear bearing in his Werks too. He is also running Powermaster 30/9. I'm not sure how many gallons he exactly had on the engine, but I believe he changed the bearings at some point...so it's not that much run time on those bearings.

For whatever it's worth: We bought our fuel from different vendors who ordered it at different dates. There are other racers using the same fuel from both vendors. I'll be paying very close attention to how those racers' engines fare in the upcoming weeks.

What are the odds? I'm about to go running to Byrons again...

I understand bad batches are something that happens occasionally. Unfortunately it's always the consumer that ends up footing the bill, by nature of the game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.