Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on O.S. .21 XZ-B V2

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Question on O.S. .21 XZ-B V2

I'm getting into nitro racing for the first time and am going to be racing an RC8.2 and I have done quite a bit of research as to what I need etc.. I've been looking at different engines and going back and forth on what I should get. I was originally set on the O.S. .21 XZ-B V-Spec but then I came across the XZ-B V2. From what I can tell the V2 is a newer engine and supposed to be lighter and have similar components to the speed version. The price difference is about 40 dollars and I guess my overall question is what is your opinion on which one I should get? Or if there's a thread on this you can point me towards that. I've searched and searched and haven't found much on that actual engine. And if you can help me out on which pipe/manifold would be good for this engine that'd be awesome. I've read the 2090 is supposed to be good but it's close to 160 dollars and that's without the manifold.. Also, I know this is sort of a newbie question so I apologize but what defines a "spec" motor? I guess my question is what makes a spec motor a spec motor compared to a "non spec" engine. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

try this thread.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...peed-xz-b.html
Old 04-12-2014, 02:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You asked for opinions, so mine is get the V2, definitely. And while the 2090 pipe is the one to get if you can roll with the price, don't overlook the os2060, it's still a very good pipe. I run that pipe on a Hara speed and get very good power and last club day, I was pitting at 10 minutes in a truggy. Either way, I can't see you being disappointed much with either engine.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigInJapan
You asked for opinions, so mine is get the V2, definitely.
+1. as for pipe if you can't afford/warrant the price of an os pipe get a werks 2058.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok cool. I appreciate the replies. I have looked through that thread before and found some good information. I think it's on the older model XZ-B but I learned a lot either way. I'll go with the V2 and the 2090 pipe. I just need to pick out a manifold now. I assume just go with an o.s. one?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

this manifold goes with the 2090 pipe
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXLPJ3&P=K
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just bought a V2. I have 2 of the V1's. I'm hoping this engine is easier to tune like the old Vspec.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SuperDaveNT
I just bought a V2. I have 2 of the V1's. I'm hoping this engine is easier to tune like the old Vspec.
At the 2013 Canadian RC Pro Nationals the most flame outs were from OS Speeds...seemed like half the guys with them couldn't keep them running......So they are not the magic bullet engine some here would believe... great engines, but nowhere near as idiot proof as some here like to pretend.....
Old 04-25-2014, 05:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Also rember it's not the engine that allows for easy tuning; it's the CARB!

You can put an OS carb on any engine that is giving you fits and it will now tune like an OS engine. Same with a Nova carb (my personal favorite).

Carbs are cheap, engines are not.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
At the 2013 Canadian RC Pro Nationals the most flame outs were from OS Speeds...seemed like half the guys with them couldn't keep them running......So they are not the magic bullet engine some here would believe... great engines, but nowhere near as idiot proof as some here like to pretend.....
There is no such thing as a magic bullet. But if there is an engine that will stay on no matter what....it's an OS. No matter the tune the OS will fire up, it may not run as good with a bad tune but it fires up like no other.

I've been running nova's for the past 2 half years and I just recently switched to OS and with no regrets.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by arm2storm
There is no such thing as a magic bullet. But if there is an engine that will stay on no matter what....it's an OS. No matter the tune the OS will fire up, it may not run as good with a bad tune but it fires up like no other.

I've been running nova's for the past 2 half years and I just recently switched to OS and with no regrets.
its amazing what a ultrahot P3 glowplug can do !
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hookem34
Also rember it's not the engine that allows for easy tuning; it's the CARB!

You can put an OS carb on any engine that is giving you fits and it will now tune like an OS engine. Same with a Nova carb (my personal favorite).

Carbs are cheap, engines are not.

Swapping carbs definitely is a great option.. However I believe the biggest thing these guys like so much about the OS is that they usually run either P3 or P4 Glowplugs........ Extremely hot plugs that make the tuning window more forgiving....Both OS and Hudy have setup their engines to accommodate these extremely hot glowplugs which is where the strong idle and flaemout resistance comes from... whereas Nova's are setup to run #6 glowplugs which are much cooler then both the P3 and P4, which gives them better mileage, but a less forgiving idle to the mixture being too rich..giving you a narrower tuning window to work with..Have to be rich enough t have fuel when under load, but no so rich it wont idle....Whereas with a P3 plug you can have a rich idle, plenty of fuel for takeoff.... However the downside is the hotter plugs make the engine burn more fuel then cool plugs.... So idle stability in trade for runtime, and runtime in trade for idle stability
Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 PM
Tech Initiate

The V2 is a great engine. easy to tune.I have no complaints so far. Runs STRONG!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There are no magic bullets, but magic screwdrivers there are...
Seriously, once you have owned an Os speed for a while and know what to listen for when tuning, you can have it all. I can tune any heat plug, p3-p4-p5 to run and idle strong. Currently because of low temps here, I run p3, and get 13+ minutes runtime in truggy, easy. I'm not just saying that, rock up to a club event here, guaranteed I'm the only one pitting at 10 mins right now.

And oh glory, the amount of second hand info on carbs with a "mid" needle is ridiculous. There is no need to swap carbs, they are not faulty, they are not even hard to tune, they are precise!! And made to tune right to the ragged edge of the lean condition, for most power!!

Maybe OS wasn't expecting inexperienced folk would buy the speeds or something, but the thing is, these carbs are sensitive and precise. I tune in 1/2 to 1 hour increments, not 1/8's or 1/4's. 1 hour out, and all of a sudden the idle comedown is a machine gun. You can't tune these with a ham fist. Sure you can compensate a bad tune with a hotter plug, but then you are gonna have bad run times and be down on power. I imagine that goes for other engines also.

I really do disagree that OS only has a good idle/low end because they run hot plugs, In fact because of hot plugs, once you can tune them right, the Speeds run like a modified engine. I do however very much agree they are not idiot proof, they are precise and aimed at the more "experienced" user.

Sorry for the light rant, I just reckon these mid carbs get a bad rap for nothing!
Old 04-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NOvarossi
The V2 is a great engine. easy to tune.I have no complaints so far. Runs STRONG!!!!!!

Running the 2090 pipe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.