Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Reds R5TTE or OS speed spec II >

Reds R5TTE or OS speed spec II

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reds R5TTE or OS speed spec II

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Reds R5TTE or OS speed spec II

Can someone comment on personal experience that's had both. I'm trying to decide. Pros and cons.

Thanks,
Old 01-23-2014, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

I have both, so here is what i think . On both i use the pipe recomended, 2090 for speed and 2104 for reds.

Os speed :
-great power not as easy to drive because of the huge power
- easy break in
- tunes easy
-great runtime
- plugs are good

Reds team edition 2:
- smooth power compare to speed , easy to drive
-reds break in Its better than speed( idles all day)
-it holds the tune better ( again for me, in the conditions that i run)
-better runtime with the reds ( 30s to 1 min more)
-reds plugs are one of the best. Period. Last very long

At the end both are very good engines... But i sell my speed and stay with the reds... Power Its super smooth and runtimes are great when tuned, setup and drive the right way, you con go wrong...
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a the TE2. 2 of my friends have the Spec II. I've tuned and driven their cars. The three of us have the same cars and same clutch and same gearing.

They run neck and neck. I wouldn't say either has a speed advantage down the straight. The pipe can have a massive impact on engines' power band so that has been somewhat hard to compare because we are running different pipes. They can be super smooth or abrupt, just depends on the pipe / manifold.

When the OS was new it was eating plugs (P3) left and right. It was rediculous. The Reds didn't. Actually I have two TE2's and the plugs last quite a while. I think one made it through break in and then some. The other, I think did pop a plug with in a gallon, but its been so long I can't remember for sure, but what I do remember is that they last. Honestly, I think the O'Donnell 77 plug is longer lasting than the #5 Reds plug in terms of longevity and its cheaper and runs the same.

Without a Competition Heat engine warmer the OS is a pain. They'd heat thier OS's with a heat gun (as I always do with my Reds) and the engine would be rich for the first several minutes on the tracks. I mean like 4 to 5 minutes, and then the OS would start running right. If you leaned the engine before that, then they'd go lean after 4-5 minutes. With the Competition Heat, that issue went away. With the Reds, pre-heat with a heat gun and drive. Very simple. I almost never fool around with the needles.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the crank on the OS is harder. We took the OS apart after it lost it's compression and the crank looked brand new. I couldn't believe it. No discoloration, no wear marks just brand spanking new.

Last thing is that I suspect the Reds crank's threads are cut a little weird. For some reason on both of my engines and with two different clutches / flywheels / nuts, the nut always comes loose. Thread lock didn't help. Tightening it super tight didn't help. A lock washer finally did it.

I love my Reds Team Edition II. The OS is love / hate.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO
I have a the TE2. 2 of my friends have the Spec II. I've tuned and driven their cars. The three of us have the same cars and same clutch and same gearing.

They run neck and neck. I wouldn't say either has a speed advantage down the straight. The pipe can have a massive impact on engines' power band so that has been somewhat hard to compare because we are running different pipes. They can be super smooth or abrupt, just depends on the pipe / manifold.

When the OS was new it was eating plugs (P3) left and right. It was rediculous. The Reds didn't. Actually I have two TE2's and the plugs last quite a while. I think one made it through break in and then some. The other, I think did pop a plug with in a gallon, but its been so long I can't remember for sure, but what I do remember is that they last. Honestly, I think the O'Donnell 77 plug is longer lasting than the #5 Reds plug in terms of longevity and its cheaper and runs the same.

Without a Competition Heat engine warmer the OS is a pain. They'd heat thier OS's with a heat gun (as I always do with my Reds) and the engine would be rich for the first several minutes on the tracks. I mean like 4 to 5 minutes, and then the OS would start running right. If you leaned the engine before that, then they'd go lean after 4-5 minutes. With the Competition Heat, that issue went away. With the Reds, pre-heat with a heat gun and drive. Very simple. I almost never fool around with the needles.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect the crank on the OS is harder. We took the OS apart after it lost it's compression and the crank looked brand new. I couldn't believe it. No discoloration, no wear marks just brand spanking new.

Last thing is that I suspect the Reds crank's threads are cut a little weird. For some reason on both of my engines and with two different clutches / flywheels / nuts, the nut always comes loose. Thread lock didn't help. Tightening it super tight didn't help. A lock washer finally did it.

Hi

Be carefull of using the odonnell plug... The filament can break and damage the engine... I see that in two engines... Also many people in this forums tell the same thing...
Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by My ST-RR EVO

Use the OS P4 plug and they will last for a few months at a time.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have used every version of the OS speed engine and it has never let me down. I have ventured out to other brands and always come back to speed engines.
Idle is very consistent
Tune is not complicated
Mileage is great
Power is smooth and up from the previous xz speed OS 2090 pipe is necessary IMO
If you spend the $$$ for the speed you will be glad you did.
I run a P3 plug in all conditions.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Frank L
I have used every version of the OS speed engine and it has never let me down. I have ventured out to other brands and always come back to speed engines.
Idle is very consistent
Tune is not complicated
Mileage is great
Power is smooth and up from the previous xz speed OS 2090 pipe is necessary IMO
If you spend the $$$ for the speed you will be glad you did.
I run a P3 plug in all conditions.
Big second. And when the compression is gone after about 8 gallons, I bring send it for a repinch (16euro's) and change the conrod and it's good for an other 7-8 gallons. The crank lasts really long so you can pinch it a few times or if you're not a fan of pinching, replacing the p/s/r.

For me an OS Speed is actually as expensive or cheaper than cheaper mid end engines.