Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
cleaning your pipes in glycol (coolant) >

cleaning your pipes in glycol (coolant)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

cleaning your pipes in glycol (coolant)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I keep the outside of my pipes relatively clean by wiping them off after use. I'm really just concerned with the inside.

I've seen coolant, brake fluid, and carb cleaner mentioned on this thread. Which of these works best on the INSIDE of the pipe? Thanks
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrettL
I keep the outside of my pipes relatively clean by wiping them off after use. I'm really just concerned with the inside.

I've seen coolant, brake fluid, and carb cleaner mentioned on this thread. Which of these works best on the INSIDE of the pipe? Thanks
BrettL:

A slow cooker and coolant (glycol) would be the only way to remove and carbon build up inside your tune pipe. Please be aware though that the glycol will emit toxic fumes and as a result i haven't done this myself as a result.

For cleaning the outside of the pipe i just use brake cleaner and a cloth.

BB
Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

After cleaning in the slow cooker you will have to re polish the outside. But that's the best method of cleaning the pipe.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The slow cooker isn't going to work for me...However, I do have the AZ heat and simple green. For the 2 stroke pipes, we used to use a heat gun and leave the heat gun blowing through it for an hour or two, and it'd burn everything out. Or we'd soak them in diesel.

I do have simple green, and I do have some race gas I could use. I opted for the 5 gallon bucket of simple green and soaking in the sun. Doesn't simple green eat aluminium?
Old 08-22-2015, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trying the straight glycol in a crock pot for 24 hours method this weekend and I was wondering what heat setting to use. Low seems be a common theme but I've seen 350 degrees and high all mentioned in this thread. High might work faster but is more likely to boil over when left unattended. Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I soak in Green Monster or autobody grade green degreaser for about an hour depending on how dirty the pipe is (BE CAREFUL GREEN MONSTER IS CORROSIVE TO ALUMINUM), then boil for about 10 minutes to agitate inside then blow it out with compressed air polish and im good for another month.