Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
HELP hyper .21 wont stay running >

HELP hyper .21 wont stay running

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP hyper .21 wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HELP hyper .21 wont stay running

so, i have a traxxas bandit vxl, which is freaking awesome, but about a year ago the thrift shop sold me an ofna monster pirate with two airtronics servos (expensive ones), never run before, for $5. all it needed was fuel, air filter and hose, glo plug and heater, and a reciever. invested that in it and it ran, until a servo stripped, so i fixed that, and it sorta still ran like crap. found out last week (its been sitting for 8 months or so now) that a fuel line was right up against some gears and got a sizeable gash in it. replace that to find out the tank is cracked. replace that, and now it still wont run. i leave the plug warmer on, prime it well, and it starts, then stops. longest run was long enough for me to rev it, but died after say 7 seconds. what is the problem? i dont think its fuel pressure, if i remove the pressure line from the exhaust and blow into it i dont hear any hissing or anything, i dont see any fuel leaks, and it primes just fine. ive set the carb to factory specs, which it was basically at, and tinkered, with no luck. had probably about 1/3 quart run through it before this. im so stumped.
ps. ive been trying to start with no air filter so its not that
Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ofnatraxxas
so, i have a traxxas bandit vxl, which is freaking awesome, but about a year ago the thrift shop sold me an ofna monster pirate with two airtronics servos (expensive ones), never run before, for $5. all it needed was fuel, air filter and hose, glo plug and heater, and a reciever. invested that in it and it ran, until a servo stripped, so i fixed that, and it sorta still ran like crap. found out last week (its been sitting for 8 months or so now) that a fuel line was right up against some gears and got a sizeable gash in it. replace that to find out the tank is cracked. replace that, and now it still wont run. i leave the plug warmer on, prime it well, and it starts, then stops. longest run was long enough for me to rev it, but died after say 7 seconds. what is the problem? i dont think its fuel pressure, if i remove the pressure line from the exhaust and blow into it i dont hear any hissing or anything, i dont see any fuel leaks, and it primes just fine. ive set the carb to factory specs, which it was basically at, and tinkered, with no luck. had probably about 1/3 quart run through it before this. im so stumped.
ps. ive been trying to start with no air filter so its not that
Disassemble and clean the carb. It probably had some left over fuel sitting in the HSN port and it gummed up. Start with the air filter assembly on it. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hmm

I remember when a few friends had OFNA buggies and theywere fine, but that hyper .21 was the biggest pain in the butt engine I have tried to tune. I certainly could be wrong, but I could never get that thing to run more than a tank of fuel.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks for the suggestion sschultz. thats not a bad idea. ive disassembled several 2 stroke and 4 stroke gas engine carbs but never one like this. how hard is it to take them apart, do i need a gasket set to reassemble it, what should i look for, and where should i clean
Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 PM
Tech Rookie

how do you recommend cleaning it?
Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Tech Rookie

ok so new problem. i took the machine screw holding the carb in out, and the carb still wont budge. ive used vise grips, hammers, mallets, screwdrivers, etc and it doesnt want to move
Old 09-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Tech Rookie

again disregard the previous message. had to tap the nut out. cleaned, but couldnt get one of the set screws out. put back on. ugh its 130AM time to do this tomorrow
Old 09-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Do you have fresh fuel?
Is your glow plug new?
Is your glow starter fully charged and working good?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

After reading you post. Did it have an air filter on it when you bought it? Also IF you can get the carb off and disassembled just take either some denatured alcohol or nitro and let the parts soak in it. Then blow air through the inlet fitting and the carb body hopefully it will dislodge any gummed up material in there. Also while you have it apart you may want to see if you have a place local the can get you o rings for your carb as well as they could be bad as well.