Wiki Posts
Search

resize/repinch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default resize/repinch question

I bought a used werks B6 from a member on here (I'll never buy a used engine again). The guy said,"he had problems tuning it, and gave up" so he decieded to sell it. I was totally skeptical, but I foolishly bought the damn thing for 50$ anyways.

When it showed up, I immediately noticed that it virtually had no compression. So......I sent it off to RCRENEW to get it serviced. They had told me that it must've sucked dirt. That being said, they cleaned it out, replaced the crank, bearings and resized.

I took the engine to my local race shop to have it broken in. The guy there told me that he'd be surprised if I got 2 gallons out of the engine before its toast. He said that repinching is no good. I'm not in any way slamming RCRENEW!! I'm just wondering if what he said about repinching is known to be true or not.

The engine really doesn't "look" to be used too terribly much. The heat sink doesn't have tons of scratches, all fins are straight, ect.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Some people are totally clueless about the advice they give.To be honest a brand new engine that isnt tuned right and taken care of may only last a couple of gallons.But as to your question it all depends on how well its maintained as to how long it will last.No more than what you have in the engine if you only get a few gallons then you got your moneys worth.Just don't believe everything you hear.We've been pinching engine with ctek tool pinchers (which everyone says wont work)for years and have good luck with it.Now the generic squeezers they sell on ebay are garbage.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Lord

The shop is right if the cause of loosing the pinch was an overheated piston. In that case the pistin did become weak and after a repinch it coul loose the pinch again very fast. If the wear was just by using and some dirt the piston did keep it strength and should be no problem.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

The hobby shop sells new engines right? Of course he says pinching is bad, he sells less engines then. A good pinch will last a long time, and it can be done several times as long as the crank and rod dont get out of spec. Sometimes dirt will wear the piston and rod and sometimes it doesnt.

Rex
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I had a b6 pinched and it was my favorite engine, til the rod broke... I had three+ gallons after the pinch and it was strong as can be. That was just one of them freak deals cause it was not wore and it broke in the thickest part of the rod. I'm a huge fan of resizing engines. There something to be said about a "seasoned" engine.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

I think it depends if the guy who does the resizing knows what he's doing or not.
There's only one guy I trust to do it right, his name starts with an R..
Old 06-15-2013, 02:33 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Eivind E
I think it depends if the guy who does the resizing knows what he's doing or not.
There's only one guy I trust to do it right, his name starts with an R..
Thanx
Old 06-15-2013, 04:33 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

How good of a tuner are you? I mention this because that will be the main
factor in how long an engine lasts you. Run the B6 ,learn how to tune with
it,and when it losses compression again have it pinched again by Ray A Racing.
Keep running it until you lose a bearing or the rod goes. They can be resized
several times.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are a lot of opinions out there but that doesn't mean they are correct. Even if they work at a Hobby shop.

So in this Hobby always take opinions with a Grain of salt.

I have done hundreds and hundreds of resizings and if done properly resizing a piston/sleeve will perform as new and last a long time. Depending on the way it is treated and broke in of course.

Most of the guys engine I do actually race and will attest they are reliable and get a lot of life out of them.

I have a lot of customers that used to be skeptical about resizing because of past experiences and are now good repeat customers. So if done right by someone who knows what they are doing it is a great way to save $$ and have a reliable engine again.

But just like everything, some guys had a bad experience somewhere before and now it put a bad taste in their mouth about resizing and so now the think all resizing is bad. But not the case at all.

I don't rec buying used engines. but now your engine will last a long time if broke in and treated properly. So just run it and have fun

Hopefully the guy at the hobby shop breaks it in properly.

Thanks,

Lance

Originally Posted by solidsnake83
I bought a used werks B6 from a member on here (I'll never buy a used engine again). The guy said,"he had problems tuning it, and gave up" so he decieded to sell it. I was totally skeptical, but I foolishly bought the damn thing for 50$ anyways.

When it showed up, I immediately noticed that it virtually had no compression. So......I sent it off to RCRENEW to get it serviced. They had told me that it must've sucked dirt. That being said, they cleaned it out, replaced the crank, bearings and resized.

I took the engine to my local race shop to have it broken in. The guy there told me that he'd be surprised if I got 2 gallons out of the engine before its toast. He said that repinching is no good. I'm not in any way slamming RCRENEW!! I'm just wondering if what he said about repinching is known to be true or not.

The engine really doesn't "look" to be used too terribly much. The heat sink doesn't have tons of scratches, all fins are straight, ect.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks so much! I'm no expert tuner, but I don't blow up engines! Lol The place Im having it broken in is well known locally.

I just got sketched out when he doubted the repinching idea.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I do a lot of engines for the locals here in Perth, WA and one of the Hobby shops goes all out to convince people that pinching is no good.

Sure I got it wrong a few times in the early days but now after much practice I can do a nice job that lasts just using a standard clamping type pinch tool.

I think the Hobby shops need to worry a little less as they still get your money, maybe not through engine sales as much but you have more to spend on other things for your car.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Tech Lord

I can imagine a shop want to sell you that P/S set or a new engine. On the other hand if the shop can provide a pinching service the chance is higher people do come back for that new engine.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

there is nothing wrong with pinching an engine. I have had several done and actually going to be sending Lance a couple to do soon.

but break in is a major step I have been to 3 hobby shops and acting like a noob I would watch the PROFESSIONAL break in...the FIRST and major deal breaker for me is they used a break in stand with NO air filter. uh....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. break in stand yes...no air filter is a big no no in my opinion. I was asked to leave a national chain hobby shop because a guy tried to tell a buddy his traxxas motor was wore out and he rolled the fly wheel in his t-maxx and said see it moves and hear that pop which was the normal compression pop. he tried to tell him the motor was shot...I steped in and told him he was crazy. I went outside to my tool box tightened up the carb bolt and tuned it is ran fine. So you have to be careful and use YOUR best judgement in that situation.
As far a pinching I would trust the main 3 guys here on the site to pinch they have a good reputation in there work and are willing to help and give you info you need afterwards.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobbyc1127
there is nothing wrong with pinching an engine. I have had several done and actually going to be sending Lance a couple to do soon.

but break in is a major step I have been to 3 hobby shops and acting like a noob I would watch the PROFESSIONAL break in...the FIRST and major deal breaker for me is they used a break in stand with NO air filter. uh....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. break in stand yes...no air filter is a big no no in my opinion. I was asked to leave a national chain hobby shop because a guy tried to tell a buddy his traxxas motor was wore out and he rolled the fly wheel in his t-maxx and said see it moves and hear that pop which was the normal compression pop. he tried to tell him the motor was shot...I steped in and told him he was crazy. I went outside to my tool box tightened up the carb bolt and tuned it is ran fine. So you have to be careful and use YOUR best judgement in that situation.
As far a pinching I would trust the main 3 guys here on the site to pinch they have a good reputation in there work and are willing to help and give you info you need afterwards.
Lol that's a good story. See all that smoke coming out of your exhaust pipe? That means the engine is on fire on the inside and you need to buy a new one!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Tech Adept

I've taken a different view to pinching, I don't touch the sleeve I swell the piston by "ringing" it on a lathe. I do this for two reasons. first, I don't like to lift the head on a sleeve that's been broken in, second I think it's easier to control the fit between the P/S by ringing the piston on a lathe. Once I've ringed a piston, from that point forward I keep the oil content high for the rest of the engine's life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.