Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Low profile cooling heads verse standard cooling heads >

Low profile cooling heads verse standard cooling heads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low profile cooling heads verse standard cooling heads

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)
Default Low profile cooling heads verse standard cooling heads

I was wondering what your opinion was on these lower sunken cooling heads. Pending on your body and venting these lower cg heads have a higher temp reading which raises your overall motor temp verse a higher cooling head which adds additional cooling.

Does a higher temp motor cause additional wearing and does it effect your fuel mileage. By theory fuel or liquid would burn faster at a lower temp right which raises fuel consumption. Also for the people that tune against temp would this mean their running richer cause their temps are higher.

I'm asking not implying IE, just wondering

1, does it cause additional wear with a higher temp motor
2, does it affect your fuel consumption
3, Do people loss power cause there tuning agaisnt a lower cg head.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

1 yes if not tuned correctly
2 yes if not tuned correctly
3 no

A lower cooling head will cause the engine to get hotter and a hotter engine in theory wears faster (if it is too hot) also a hotter engine uses more fuel in theory as well, now the difference is that the difference in heads is not great so most of what you notice will be VERY small if you can notice it at all. Most companies are going to the smaller cooling head to save money because the difference in engine life is negligible as well as fuel consumption, however if the tune is not accurate and it does get hot then it does hurt fuel economy and engine life, but when tuned properly it shouldn't effect either area.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

With these Lower heads a spot on tune will most likely have a higher temp which increase wear and consumption. That's my question. Let's say it's tuned correctly.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
am
Tech Master

I have not messured an engine all year With a temp gun. I do not even own one anymore. LOL

Last year, i found that the messured temps on the BTT engines is higher With th elowered head. Well, that is what the tempgun shows. BUT, there are a lot of different factors that is th reasson for this, not nesseserly the engine it self.

-The tempgun is alot closer too the glowplug, witch will give a higher temp.
-The diameter of the hole have a lot to do With messured temps.
-The cooling erea ( squere mm ) is very important.

F.eks the RB BX engines, that cooloing head is designed for a low temp Reading on the tempgun. Small hole, long distance Down to the plug...

Novarossi generation 2 will give high temp Reading. I used to run my btt engines from 125-145 degrees celsius, without any problems what so ever. I have not messured temps on my L7 engine once. It starts right up evry time, runs great!! All i do is Reading the glowplug and use a great fuel alled Labema!