Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Starts fine, but wants to go in reverse. >

Starts fine, but wants to go in reverse.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starts fine, but wants to go in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Default Starts fine, but wants to go in reverse.

This is interesting, i'm not sure what's happening... Here is the engine I have: http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/2915/

I've had it for about 2 years and have always taken care of it. But just the last few days I've been noticing that after I start it, blip the throttle a little bit, the wheels are trying to spin backwards. Of course, since they cant, it stalls out. The only way I can get this to not happen, is right before I start the engine, I hold the spur gear in place, and spin the rear wheels a few times. When I restart, it's back to normal. I'm not sure if it just a coincidence that it starts after my odd hold spur gear trick or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it help, when I to pull start it, occasionally the fly wheel doesn't spin.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeasor
This is interesting, i'm not sure what's happening... Here is the engine I have: http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/2915/

I've had it for about 2 years and have always taken care of it. But just the last few days I've been noticing that after I start it, blip the throttle a little bit, the wheels are trying to spin backwards. Of course, since they cant, it stalls out. The only way I can get this to not happen, is right before I start the engine, I hold the spur gear in place, and spin the rear wheels a few times. When I restart, it's back to normal. I'm not sure if it just a coincidence that it starts after my odd hold spur gear trick or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if it help, when I to pull start it, occasionally the fly wheel doesn't spin.

Thanks in advance!
I know that nitro engines can run in reverse (though not well). Are your diffs in backwards?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lappdawg27
I know that nitro engines can run in reverse (though not well). Are your diffs in backwards?
Nah, not that I know. I know they're in need of rebuilding. I rebuilt the diff about 3 gallons ago.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

starter box wired backwards?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Yep, your started box wheel is spinning counter clockwise.. make sure its wired correctly.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeasor
The only way I can get this to not happen, is right before I start the engine, I hold the spur gear in place, and spin the rear wheels a few times...Also, if it help, when I to pull start it, occasionally the fly wheel doesn't spin.
Well for starters it sounds like your flywheel is loose. If you are also having to hold the spur gear, I'm guessing you might have bad clutch bell bearings or a bad clutch...the drive-line shouldn't be turning over at idle.

I would start by taking off your motor and taking apart the clutch to tighten the flywheel; and inspect the clutch bell/bearings at the same time.

Originally Posted by R/C Lidz
starter box wired backwards?
Originally Posted by scoopdaloop
Yep, your started box wheel is spinning counter clockwise.. make sure its wired correctly.
Try reading... it's a pull start and he says he's pull starting it.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rsickles
Well for starters it sounds like your flywheel is loose. If you are also having to hold the spur gear, I'm guessing you might have bad clutch bell bearings or a bad clutch...the drive-line shouldn't be turning over at idle.

I would start by taking off your motor and taking apart the clutch to tighten the flywheel; and inspect the clutch bell/bearings at the same time.

Try reading... it's a pull start and he says he's pull starting it.
Thanks! I'll give that a shot. It seems very likely that could be the problem.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sent u a pm