Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
are modded/clocked engines less reliable? >

are modded/clocked engines less reliable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are modded/clocked engines less reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default are modded/clocked engines less reliable?

So im getting ready to buy a motor for my Losi 8ight T but im kinda mixed on getting a modded/clocked motor vs not. Im older with kids and really dont race at all, if so its around the track for fun, nothing competitive. Im pretty much a basher that likes speed. Anyway, ive had trouble over the years tuning nitro but have recently decided to get back in. Anyway, one of my more knowledgeable buddies, or so i think he is said to stay away from modded motors as they are harder to tune and keep tuned and since they are modded are more or less reliable to be able to throw down and start up. He recommended the LRP .28. Thoughts? Again, im a regular dude who just would love to hold a tune and be able to fire it up and rip when my kids want , but it better hall ass too! Bottom end rocks!
Old 03-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Champion

IMHO you don't need a modded engine. If you have money to burn, and care about the bragging rights or whatever, go for it.. If you want a big-power crazy engine for a truggy, get an OS 25 or 28XZ(discounted at Tower for ex..) OS are famous for being user-friendly and easy to tune. If that's too expensive, an LRP Spec 3 or Picco 28 would do great..

If you're unsure about tuning, maybe pick up a new Losi 454 - which is %100 identical to an LRP Spec 3, made in the same factory, etc.. just with a different color - from ebay, and get your head around breaking in and tuning on that. You can get them for 100 bucks on ebay, and they run great with RTR Losi pipes.. also cheap on ebay(and Odonnell purple plugs..- dirt cheap at Amain..) They are very powerful and easy to tune.

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-07-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I actually have a 454 that needs a new piston and sleeve. Ill let it go for 30 bucks shipped.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

If you are some what new to tuning and are bashing there isn't any need for a expensive motor.. Buy something cheap and practice and have fun.. Modded motors aren't hard to tune unless it's from a inexperience modder.. I suggest you practicing then if you get into racing buy a quality mill.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have one of the new picco boost .28 and that engine is simply amazing. It is the easiest engine to start and tune that i have owned. I highly recommend have Lance break it in for you well worth the extra few bucks, You can get them for $259.99 broken in for you at rcrenew.com . Or $229.99 if you break it in yourself. I had the os .25 and there was nothing easy about tuning that motor compared to the new picco's. Just my .02 cents
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MX,
did you go with the pullstart or the bump version? It appears they are the same except one has the pullstart? correct?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dropabomb
MX,
did you go with the pullstart or the bump version? It appears they are the same except one has the pullstart? correct?
I went with the bumpstart. I think they are the same but not 100% sure on that. You can go in the nitro engine forum and go to the picco boost thread and ask Lance he can give you the correct answer on that
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

For bashing there are plenty of stock sub $200 engines that will give you hours of enjoyment and no headaches. Definatly go with a bump start. I know it needs an extra piece but the pull starts really wear your hand out, especially if it becomes stubborn to start. IMO OS engines are most user friendly.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dropabomb
So im getting ready to buy a motor for my Losi 8ight T but im kinda mixed on getting a modded/clocked motor vs not. Im older with kids and really dont race at all, if so its around the track for fun, nothing competitive. Im pretty much a basher that likes speed. Anyway, ive had trouble over the years tuning nitro but have recently decided to get back in. Anyway, one of my more knowledgeable buddies, or so i think he is said to stay away from modded motors as they are harder to tune and keep tuned and since they are modded are more or less reliable to be able to throw down and start up. He recommended the LRP .28. Thoughts? Again, im a regular dude who just would love to hold a tune and be able to fire it up and rip when my kids want , but it better hall ass too! Bottom end rocks!

Your going to get many different opinions on this subject.... A few educated ones and a few uneducated ones......Take advice from only those who have actually owned one of our engines and ignore the others...

The Clocked engines are no more difficult to tune then a stock engine, in some cases they can easier to tune...However they can be easier to damage(higher RPM and vacuum) and can be more particular in how they are setup..... And if you damage the engine it will become harder to tune, or if your running it with something it doesn't like it can be harder to tune ( ie. improper fuel/plug combo , tuned pipe etc. ) ......Generally speaking once a engine is happy with its setup its going to be relatively hands free for tuning...The only engines that are difficult to tune are engines that are unhappy with something....Too many times guys try to fix a bad tuning engine by cranking needles, which usually is the last thing they should be doing...

Now if your not a good tuner then common sense says to not buy a modified engine....As you would think it will be easier to damage and the parts will be more expensive to replace....However this is not entirely true, and these are not the only factors to be considering....The biggest key to learning to tune a nitro engine is understanding how it all actually works....As the more you understand, the easier it all becomes...Buying from a company like us that is there basically 24/7 to offer you after sales support is sometimes worth well more then the price of admission....We are here basically 24/7 to teach you all there is to know about tuning and running a nitro engine, answer any questions you would, and most importantly we are one of the only ones that will back you up if something does indeed go wrong....And over the years I have successfully coached hundreds of nitro enthusiasts the ins and outs of running a nitro engine..... Both stock and modified.... Yes you can buy a cheaper engine elsewhere as some of the others recommend, but when something goes wrong are they going to be there for you 24/7 to answer the phone for you when you need help or advice ? do they have parts support available ? The truth is I could coach you to successfully tune and run a modified Novarossi much faster and easier then you could figure out how to successfully tune a LRP 28 on your own......

There are plenty of places out there that sell cheaper engines then we do...They may come with all sorts of recommendations...But more often then not these companies will be nowhere in sight when something does go wrong, and with nitro things do go wrong......You couldn't believe how many customers we have that have gone thru those experiences..they buy the engine recommended to them, but when something goes wrong they have nobody to turn to, as very few companies out there offer any sort of after sales service....usually once they have your money they could care less to hear from you ever again.......... By contrast I make it a priority of mine to frequently contact all my customers and double check that everything is working well with the Clocked engines, and if they aren't I take measures to see to it the engine operates properly....... I actually go out of my way to find problems.....So in the end my critics can say whatever they want about modified engines, the truth is we offer a whole pile more then just just fast engines....I believe our after sales customer support is way beyond what you will find anywhere else int he industry ! I answer my phone 24/7 with no exceptions..
Old 03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Dont waste your money on a modded engine. Leave that to the guys that race. You need a .28 in a big T. My Dad has OS.28 in a MBX5T that is a blast. It has a ton of grunt for that heavy truck. We were at the track one day playing around. There was quad that I had to hit perfect at speed with my buggy. It had a big $ OS Speed on it. And I could barely clear it. He could roll thru the turn. Square it up, pull the trigger and launch over with ease. Of course this had something to do with the traction of the bigger tires also. But that motor has a ton of bottom. Great for playing around with. Sux to race with though. Just because of it being so thirsty for fuel. It aint no Prius
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I love my clocked B6 pro! Tuning has never been an issue with it and it rip's and I honestly don't believe its fully broke in yet. The bonus is the runtime! Educate yourself on tuning, that's key no matter what you get.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

No need for a modded engine. There are plenty of cheaper engines out there. No matter what engine you own or from whom you buy it, If you don't know how to run one of these engines, there will be a learning curve. I have had lots of motors, modded and non modded, I have been coached over the phone how to tune, I've watched video online, I've read countless articles, and NOTHING, I mean nothing that can teach you about anything RC like getting out to your track and taking lessons from Local Pros. I don't care if you plan on racing nationals or just bashing, your local pros will have good advice.

In all honesty, If you want something that will just start up the first time all the time, then you may want to look into a Electric system for your 8ight. EP will be plug and play, starts up when ever you want, no tuning, no guessing whats wrong when it don't start, no waiting for the engine to warm up, no luggin around fuel and bump box all over the track when it flames, ect...... Plus, there is no nitro that can mess with EP on pure power. Just sayin - and Im a nitro guy...
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah Clocked engines are great from what I hear. But a waste for anyone not racing at a top level. How does a Clocked B6 run? $400 or so.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by token
No need for a modded engine. There are plenty of cheaper engines out there. No matter what engine you own or from whom you buy it, If you don't know how to run one of these engines, there will be a learning curve. I have had lots of motors, modded and non modded, I have been coached over the phone how to tune, I've watched video online, I've read countless articles, and NOTHING, I mean nothing that can teach you about anything RC like getting out to your track and taking lessons from Local Pros. I don't care if you plan on racing nationals or just bashing, your local pros will have good advice.

In all honesty, If you want something that will just start up the first time all the time, then you may want to look into a Electric system for your 8ight. EP will be plug and play, starts up when ever you want, no tuning, no guessing whats wrong when it don't start, no waiting for the engine to warm up, no luggin around fuel and bump box all over the track when it flames, ect...... Plus, there is no nitro that can mess with EP on pure power. Just sayin - and Im a nitro guy...
+1
May be better off going electric for all the reasons Token(that avatar makes me laugh everytime you post BTW) said. Plus your nieghbors will be happier. My son and I can play with his slashh all day long in the backyard. They hate it when I am tuning my 1/8 buggy. And they really hate my 5B fuelie with Dominator tuned pipe
Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by token

Completely untrue IMO. There are a LOT of things that can go wrong with electric.. Instead of just worrying about smoking an engine(which is actually pretty hard to do if you follow advice you can easily get here...), with electric you can smoke the motor, the ESC, or the lipos.. And there's all kinds of soldering involved, etc..

And you don't need a pro to learn how to tune a nitro engine. You need yourself. Learning by doing..

Nitro is not rocket science. Get a Losi 454 on ebay for 100 bucks to learn on, then later you can get something fancier.. A Losi 454 is overkill in terms of power for a truggy btw... Lots of fun..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.