Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Buying a D8 Hara looking for a good .21 engine with tuned pipe >

Buying a D8 Hara looking for a good .21 engine with tuned pipe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a D8 Hara looking for a good .21 engine with tuned pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Tech Initiate

I am new to the forum, how do i find his thread? Under "Werks" and then navigate from there?
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Optimumrun
I am new to the forum, how do i find his thread? Under "Werks" and then navigate from there?
here's the b5 thread...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ng-engine.html
Old 03-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

http://www.rctech.net/forum/offroad-...ng-engine.html

just do a search in the upper right of the forum....
Old 03-06-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Great...going there now, thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The pipes are all the same, werks, Orion, and Nvision. I know this because I have seen all three side by side. Also the only real difference in all headers is if they have 3 or 4 springs or if they use the short or long springs. The performance is different, but for the 2058 it is the same. Don't worry too much about the ports, if it is a 3 port, 4 port or 5 port or even 7 port. Generally the higher he port the more power it makes. So if you are running a buggy and are new it would probably not be in your best interest to go with a 7 port for your first try. I ran an Orion 7 port in buggy, it was okay but it was hard to keep traction because of the power, a plus one means a transfer port. I am sure there is much more to it that what I have said, but just look at all the big names, they either run a 3 or 4 maybe a 5 port in a buggy, 7 ports and some 5 ports in truggy.

With the budget, run the Hong Nor 2080 it is cheap and a great long lasting pipe, if you want to spend a tad more run the 2058 or the 2096 pipe. Mid torque is okay but even on short tracks you will need bottom end pull and the top end helps if you have the bottom you can skip the mid and not even notice it allowing it to spool up faster with a bottom and top pipe like the 2080
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Could someone explain to me what exactly is an engine with a turbo head button as opossed to one that is non-turbo?

The plug you have to use is also different?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

the standard plug is flat while the turbo is more conical. The turbo is more efficient, and it also makes more power. I would make sure you get a turbo head engine.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Good......the Werks B5 I am considering is turbo.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Yes. Any of the available Werks engines have turbo heads.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Wink

The B5 is more of a truggy engine, if you are going Werks go B2 or B6. The B5 will work fine in a buggy but it is designed more for the truggy. Also if you are stepping up in price for your first engine then I would also suggest getting a good pipe, if you don't have the budget for both then get the cheaper B2 engine with a good pipe or maybe consider the Fusion x3 race or Novarossi P5. Again not knocking Werks as they are great engines with great customer support, but the same can be said for Fusion and Novarossi as well. In any case you should love your Werks engine and pipe.

BTW I know it is different in Viet Nam than where you are but.... the only problem I have really had with the 2058 pipe is getting the correct springs as the Werks, Orion and Nvision use a smaller spring connecting the header to the pipe. This shouldn't be a problem in the US but it is here, so if you get the 2058 and run into t his trouble you can modify the longer springs by cutting the ends off and rebending the ends.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, thanks, I'll do some research on those other 2 engines, sounds interesting.

I though the B5 was perfect for a Buggy and the B6 because of it's extra ports and thus power was more for a Truggy?
I read that Jeremy Kortz used the B5 engine in a buggy to take 2nd place at the RC Pro Series Australia race and A-main finish at the 2009 ROAR US Buggy Nationals!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

B5 for truggy, B6 for buggy.

I really think your best bet is to just get a B2 with that Nvision 2058.. Great combo, great value, not too expensive, plenty of help here to get going.. Sorted.

Or an Alpha Club Racer with 2090 or 0801. Same deal.. Don't know about US prices for that though..(Here in Europe, it has the best price.. And the Alphas really are awesome too..)

There are 30+ very good engines out there to choose from, some cheaper, some very expensive.. If you have money to burn, get an OS Speed. If your tuning experience is not that extensive, stay cheap and learn on something simpler. That said, a B2 is by all accounts a full-on race-worthy engine, even for advanced racers - it's just extremely good value at half the price of a lot of the others. Same with the Alphas..

Ultimately, you'll never really find the answer on the internet. Here you can get input from a bunch of different people, but ultimately you're gonna' have to pull the trigger on something and see for yourself. Werks B2, Alpha, Werks B5 or B6 are all excellent choices that you don't have to doubt(B5 is maybe a bit heavy-hitting for buggy..), and great value for money..
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Wink

Ok, thanks, I'll do some research on those other 2 engines, sounds interesting.

I though the B5 was perfect for a Buggy and the B6 because of it's extra ports and thus power was more for a Truggy?
I read that Jeremy Kortz used the B5 engine in a buggy to take 2nd place at the RC Pro Series Australia race and A-main finish at the 2009 ROAR US Buggy Nationals!
Go on one of the Werks threads and explain what kind of track and what you expect for whatever your doing and Ron will point you in exactly the direction you want to be. A b2 has similar bottom like the b5 from what I understand, but talk to Ron to be sure. No more guessing that way....
I run a b5 and b6 in a buggy and I like em both, I just run different gears with b5.

Last edited by sschultz; 03-08-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeh, I was thinking of the B2 with the nvision 2058 pipe which seems to be an identical pipe as the Werks 2058.
This combo seems the most bang for the buck!

Now if the B2 and the B5 are about the same weight and I got nothing to loose there performance wise, might not be a bad idea to pay an extra 40 bucks for the B5 and have all the power that I will ever need. I could tune down the power to be track specific when I need to via all the other variables such as, clutch springs, clutch shoe material, change the dual rates and expos, etc.
I imagine the 3 extra ports of the B5 doesn't only buy me more power but must has a smoother stable acceleration and a bigger window for holding the perfect tune/ mixture.

Another thing I like about the B5 is the alumimum carb, which is rare, most engines seem to have composite (plastic material)

Than again, of course the B2 would do a little better on the milage I presume?
Giving me what?, 10 to 12min on a 125cc running on a average size short course?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh yeh, that would have been my dream engine, the OS .21XZ B Speed with a matched OS pipe if it wasn't for the 500+ dollar price tag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.