Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Budget 1/8 Nitro TRUGGY Engine..... >

Budget 1/8 Nitro TRUGGY Engine.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budget 1/8 Nitro TRUGGY Engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Good point on the parts, check out spare parts, bearings before buying an engine.

Rex
Old 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm sure there are bearings readily available for this engine. Go on the b2 thread and ask Ron. Personally, I would never replace a p/s set or a crank in this engine! Get a resize or 2, absolutely! Rod? Yep! Crank? NO! Buy a new engine! They cost $170 and if run properly will give you plenty of life. Don't break the skirt off your piston taking the back plate off! I don't care what brand you have, that's a costly and a bone headed mistake.
Upon further thought, I think Ron stated at some point, all Werks .21 engines shared the same bearing sizes. You'd have to ask him to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I read that on one of his post.

Last edited by sschultz; 02-22-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
I'm sure there are bearings readily available for this engine. Go on the b2 thread and ask Ron. Personally, I would never replace a p/s set or a crank in this engine! Get a resize or 2, absolutely! Rod? Yep! Crank? NO! Buy a new engine! They cost $170 and if run properly will give you plenty of life. Don't break the skirt off your piston taking the back plate off! I don't care what brand you have, that's a costly and a bone headed mistake.
Upon further thought, I think Ron stated at some point, all Werks .21 engines shared the same bearing sizes. You'd have to ask him to be sure, but I'm pretty sure I read that on one of his post.
There are bearings, they all use the same bearings as Orion, Nvision and others made at the same company, I think Siro but don't quote me on that. The only reason I was replacing my bearing when I broke my piston skirt was because the rubber seal on the front came loose, so instead of waiting for dirt to get inside I just replaced it with a ceramic from my POS Orion Cody King engine
Old 02-23-2013, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wouldn't consider werks because I had one fail very early in its life due to the inner seal on the front bearing coming off and going though my P/S

The after market support was poor. Good at talking it up on the forums but when it comes to the crunch and you have a failure wont deliver.

The nova is a great option.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc
The only problem with the B2 is there are NO parts for it, if it breaks it breaks. When I say you cannot get parts I mean you cannot get werks parts for the B2. At about 2 gallons I broke my piston when I was replacing my front bearing, the piston was at the bottom when I pulled my back plate, totally my mistake. I asked Ron if they had any spare pistons and sleeves or if a B6 piston and sleeve combo would work, he said "NO" not unless I changed my crank as well, and by the time I bought everything I might as well buy a new engine.
Just a quick note on this. When you had your issue we had just recently released the engine. B2 replacement P/S etc and everything else are all available now. When we first release a new engine most of the part production for the first few months is dedicated to engine assembly (not many people wear out a new engine in 1-2 months). After a few months go by we are generally caught up on production and we roll out all of the spares. In the case of the B2 it uses the exact same bearings as our other engines, same rod, same carb etc. etc. so most of what would be considered "consumable" parts were already available right off the bat anyways with the exception of the P/S set. Just wanted to clarify!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfree02
I wouldn't consider werks because I had one fail very early in its life due to the inner seal on the front bearing coming off and going though my P/S

The after market support was poor. Good at talking it up on the forums but when it comes to the crunch and you have a failure wont deliver.
Sorry that you were not satisfied with our support. I do not remember being contacted about this but I have never heard of a inner bearing shield coming off and some how being able to pass through the front of a solid metal crankshaft in order to actually go through a P/S. The front of the crankshaft is solid and the shield is not exposed to the crank tunnel, so there is no way that it can physically get to the P/S. Dirt yes, shield no. In any case as most people on here who have ever contacted me about issues know I generally try to bend over backwards to take care of our customers if possible for legitimate issues.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Werks
Sorry that you were not satisfied with our support. I do not remember being contacted about this but I have never heard of a inner bearing shield coming off and some how being able to pass through the front of a solid metal crankshaft in order to actually go through a P/S. The front of the crankshaft is solid and the shield is not exposed to the crank tunnel, so there is no way that it can physically get to the P/S. Dirt yes, shield no. In any case as most people on here who have ever contacted me about issues know I generally try to bend over backwards to take care of our customers if possible for legitimate issues.
Ron, it sounds like there might have been a few bad bearings, I agree don't understand how it would go through the p/s set, but my front bearing shield did come off, that is how I broke the piston skirt (well that is the reason I opened it up and I BROKE my piston skirt ) Had I not changed clutches I would have never noticed it until it would have sucked up dirt and ruined the engine, but no harm no foul, you always have great customer support, and as I said I just put in my cody king piston and rod into the werks piston sleeve and it is still running like a champ, I took second with it last weekend But..... if you do have new parts now, how much is a piston and sleeve? Where can I order one? wouldn't mind putting it back to the way it should be. Even though I am pretty sure that the Orion parts are very similar, it is still a miss matched piston
Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Alpha-Plus line of engines are great engines that last and win races. The best thing is there affordable.
The s852 is a great truggy engine and only 209.99. The A852 is raced by many top pro drivers in the truggy and only 229.99.
Yes they have sponsored me this year but anyone who knows me will tell you I have raced and supported these engines for years now. www.tritonrc.com to find great horsepower for less $
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeromerc
Ron, it sounds like there might have been a few bad bearings, I agree don't understand how it would go through the p/s set, but my front bearing shield did come off, that is how I broke the piston skirt (well that is the reason I opened it up and I BROKE my piston skirt ) Had I not changed clutches I would have never noticed it until it would have sucked up dirt and ruined the engine, but no harm no foul, you always have great customer support, and as I said I just put in my cody king piston and rod into the werks piston sleeve and it is still running like a champ, I took second with it last weekend But..... if you do have new parts now, how much is a piston and sleeve? Where can I order one? wouldn't mind putting it back to the way it should be. Even though I am pretty sure that the Orion parts are very similar, it is still a miss matched piston
Yeah its really interesting, i have no idea how it happened either i got the same essay blah blah blah essay its not possible blah blah.

The bearing clearly failed, and the metal that came from the failure clearly went into the piston and sleeve.

Bad batch of bearings and poor support they only response was an essay saying it cant happen and an offer of a new engine at close to new cost.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

My experience was different, I never asked for a replacement bearing. Then when I took it apart I broke my piston skirt. I understand that you are mad, but Ron does do good support, but when proper maintenance isn't done, I can't see saying bad things about the engine. I am pretty sure since I caught my bearing so quickly if I asked Ron for a free replacement bearing he would have sent one out, but with me being in Viet Nam and not in the US where the Werks line is heavily supported, I just used what I could get here and moved on, but Ron has been a great asset to myself and many others, I would never have tried a Werks engine if I didn't think I would get support from them. But because my experience and what I have read on the forum was different, I did buy one, I broke my piston in that engine, put a used piston in it from an Orion engine with the Orion connecting rod even and that engine simply screams still 3 gallons later. In fact because of how well the Werks engine is the local Hobby shop just ordered 10 or so Werks engines, ALL B2 engines because of how well my engine runs. That in itself should say it all for a Werks engine, they are beasts. I even made A main with the top Vietnam Drivers last weekend with that engine. I had no idea there was a race Sunday so I did not have my OS Speed on hand, and I had to run what I brung. To top it all off I finished 6th with the BEST single lap time in the final!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rfree02
Yeah its really interesting, i have no idea how it happened either i got the same essay blah blah blah essay its not possible blah blah.

The bearing clearly failed, and the metal that came from the failure clearly went into the piston and sleeve.

Bad batch of bearings and poor support they only response was an essay saying it cant happen and an offer of a new engine at close to new cost.
So the rear bearing came apart ?
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Sooo, Long time, Time to Re-up this thread... I have chosen to go with the Werkz B5-Pro....

thinking i will be going with the 2013 pipe/mani combo.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 266 (100%+)

You got pm
Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would look at a Nova Mugen Beat BT5 its a rebaged nova P5 or Nova P5 same engines . My might want to take a look at the Fusion X engines from www.houstonsengineservice.com. These are Novarossi Based engines and are very good. If you have any question about these engine as Monty he is Houston on here.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

just pull the trigger. they are all good engines. have fun, stop thinking!