Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Life of a Nitro Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Lol!!! Sorry I'm on my phone and had multiple tabs open! I'm sorry. But good job understanding!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtdog
Lol!!! Sorry I'm on my phone and had multiple tabs open! I'm sorry. But good job understanding!
it happens. hope I helped...
Old 02-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok everyone thank you very much!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sschultz
When your crank pin is wore out, you might as well buy a new engine. With a proper tune and good fuel, there's IS NO REASON why you shouldn't get upwards of 10 gallons. Granted, you might replace bearings and need a p/s resize,and maybe a rod, but, that's the nature of the beast. To me, the life of the crank pin is key and a quality engine with a conservative tune and good fuel will last that long. Pro's probably don't bother with resizing p/s or changing bearings, I could be wrong, but why would they if they have new engines at there disposal. Or there engine sponsor don't want them getting inside there engines. For the self supporting guy, you will squeeze all you can out of your mills. IMO, a resized p/s is BETTER than new, but that's just me, although there are theory's behind that statement that make perfect sence.
+1
Another important factor is how good of a motor you start with. With the crank wear being the trash can part to me. I will get a pinch,throw bearings and rods at one until the crank is trashed. Then it just not cost effective from there for me. And if have a engine like say a OS Speed or Reedy vrst with DLC coatings. The crank will last and last fro many gallons. Novas are also known for good crank life. Some times it pays to pay up front
Old 02-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Engine Life

Maximo, I agree with you about how hard you push your engine.

IMHO - I generally tear my engines down all the time. I clean the old oil/fuel out and check the bearings without fuel/oil on them. This way, if the bearings are smooth, the feeling won't be masked by the lubrication.

I generally tear my engines down for sure for winter storage. I go through them, clean them and coat the engine with a fresh coating of oil. This way, the fuel won't settle in the engine and cause oxidation on the metal parts.

I made the biggest mistake last year of putting away an engine without after run oil/tearing down. I thought I went through all the engines I used, but, I forgot this one. Well, the fuel had done some damage to the bearings which I replaced and started to eat on the metal surface of the crank. Doesn't look pretty any more. The bearings felt like sand was in them. I immediately replace them, lubed the engine and put it away.

I have engines with well over 5 gallons on them and the connecting rods are in great shape. With this being said, I also don't "rev the piss" out of them. Get my meaning. I don't stand on my engines when they hit top RPM. Rarely do I even get the engine that high. I generally try to gear my cars for the track.

One time I was at Rev raceway and most of the folks there were running 5 ports. (at the time) coming down the straight which is long, you can hear most guys topping out at the 1/2 way mark and standing on the throttle til the 3/4 way mark. I just don't like that sound. (Wondering if it's going to blow up or something) It would be like taking a Ford Mustang and running it at it's highest RPM and wondering when a rod is going to come through the block.

Anyway, I ran a 7 port and had lots of legs on it. I was building power all the way to when I let off. Sure it screamed higher than the other engines and people were wondering what I was running, but, i had not even gotten to the top of the revs on that engine.

Anyway.. (Digressing) Engine Maint to me is important. Keeping the fuel out when not running is also important so tearing the engine down and inspecting is a good thing.

What full size pro racer doesn't have their engine torn down after every race to inspect the engine to see if it can go the next round.

I think I have a few engines that had close to 8 gallons on them before the
connecting rod blew up. There was a little slop developing but, not so much IMO to warrant replacement. I had a spare. Well, I ran that engine hard that time and BOOM. the bottom of the connecting rod blew apart. Live and learn. I would say replace the connecting rod around 3 gallons. This way, a new rod is in and the stresses of break in are not on the new rod. The new rod should last another 4 gallons depending on how hard you run the engine.

Break in is important. Also, being impatient will cause premature ware on these engines as well.

If the engine has too much mechanical pinch, it still needs to be treated as if it is in the break in period (end of the period). The engine can be run, but, not raced (pushed hard). IMO.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Neils stating his opinion cause people referenced Marty post saying 6 gallons isn't right . (Your breakin isn't correct ). These guys aren't nickel and diming their engines . A full sponsored driver has a whole different outlook on gear there not worried about buying a rod and bearing if they run hard.. .. There job is to performance and look pretty. Running full throttle rich verses a race tune is a big difference...i always look at people signature who knows you might be talking to maybe a world champ..
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Neils stating his opinion cause people referenced Marty post saying 6 gallons isn't right . (Your breakin isn't correct ). These guys aren't nickel and diming their engines . A full sponsored driver has a whole different outlook on gear there not worried about buying a rod and bearing if they run hard.. .. There job is to performance and look pretty. Running full throttle rich verses a race tune is a big difference...i always look at people signature who knows you might be talking to maybe a world champ..
Or a know it all who doesnt even race it happens more than most know
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by houston
Monty ! you just can't help yourself can you ? once again another underhanded cheap shot directed towards me !
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Monty ! you just can't help yourself can you ? once again another underhanded cheap shot directed towards me !
I decided to edit my post because I really wanted to get something across. I joined this forum because I was looking to learn and I am a complete newbie. I am also a Penetration Tester by trade so I always look for hard numbers and facts. What I have learned so far is that RC is a lot of feel. Meaning everyone has a slightly different opinion and no real scientific methods of testing. That does not mean someone is wrong, just different. Now I know I am a newbie, and this will be my first season of racing, but that is how I see things. I am not condemning anyone I am just trying to point out something I have observed since I have been a member.

Listen to the advice people give because it might come with experience, but draw your own conclusions. Neal is right, Monty is right, and so are some of the other posters. Take what you can learn and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by pitboss; 02-17-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Needed to say more because I am a dumb ass
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Trust me people Marty Korn runs his engines hard. We run engines until about 10-12 gallons. We do replace the rod and wrist pin when we do it. We really run ours hard as well. We just can't afford to scrap hem as fast as some people with my kids. The boys play hard for sure.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

So you have to race to know how to tune or take care of your gear? Come on Monty. Nice shot tho....

Last edited by sschultz; 02-17-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by sschultz
So you have to race to know how to tune or take of your gear? Come on Monty. Nice shot tho....
i was not refering to anybody in particular Shane , it happens ALOT on forums

whether it be a diesel truck forum , a knitting forum or an rc car forum it doesnt matter , people read what they wanna read into a post

you are reading wayyyy more into it if you think this post was directed at you , it was a generalized statement Shane
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Maximo
wow really? it wasnt directed at anybody at all , read my other post

you do what you do i do what i do Neal , i am through with bothering to respond or aim anything your way , you guys are ummmmmm , ah nevermind , sheesh

this is the exact reason why you dont see too many of the fast guys on rctech on a regular basis , too much drama
Old 02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

i was not refering to anybody in particular Shane , it happens ALOT on forums

whether it be a diesel truck forum , a knitting forum or an rc car forum it doesnt matter , people read what they wanna read into a post

you are reading wayyyy more into it if you think this post was directed at you , it was a generalized statement Shane
people are always throwing yarn bombs on them knitting forums.

You should know by now that you'll get a reaction with a quote like that. I take no offence by things said here by anybody. If someone calls me out for being wrong, good, maybe I or many others will learn from it.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
If this was strictly a pro oriented thread, based on a pro's budget, Mr. Korn is right. My point was mearly based on the average guy and I should have made that clear as should Marty made clear that he is a pro and that's what they do. If only we all had that luxury. Was not trying to take anything away from Marty's statement. I didn't know he was a pro...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.