AEG21 Race - $59

Old 08-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Any reccomendations for a cheap pipe which works good with this engine?

Also, the motor 22Racer has on the pictures has a different carburettor to the one shown on the HK website. What do you get when you order?
i like the Aplus 0801 pipe. i ordered my engines directly from Taiwan and ordered them with the 3 needle carb. Pretty sure the Hk ones come 2 needle. I only have one left.

Rex
Old 11-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im habing some troubles with mine. I have the 3 needle carb and noticed the msn was out from flush when i got it didnt mess with it and heat cycled it and it broke in fine, but thqt needle just bothered me sitting out like that so i leaned it to flush and richend the lsn same turns to compensate now it starts fine and runs fine until the chassis is entirely heat soaked at that point it idles high no matter how many turns i richen the lsn but will run fine dependent on the lsn and hsn. So i richend the msn back to where it was originally at and everything returned to normal. This has me baffled as my nova's with 3 needles all have the msn flush w/carb body. I can run it like this but its the back of my mind like that msn is not right. Is there something I'm overlooking.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lilchill
msn was out from flush when i got...idles high....This has me baffled as my nova's with 3 needles all have the msn flush w/carb body.
Ok. So.. what you call the MSN.. is basicly like a receiver cup.
The LSN pointy part, goes into this.
When you are adjusting the LSN, you are adjusting how far into this receiver cup the LSN pointy part goes in.
How far the pointy part goes in, is what limits how much fuel comes out of the nozzle when throttle position is within the LSN spectre of adjustment.

The point of the socalled MSN is that you can adjust this jet nozzles position in the air stream.

Basicly what is happening here when you are closing this "msn", is that you are moving it inwards towards the centre of the carb, which will ultimately result in you pushing the LSN out of the carb once you go far enough in, but before this, you will get an excessively lean condition - same as as if you close the LSN too much in.

The fact that the screw head does not sit flush with the carb body has no bearing on it's function, as the function is not to sit flush with the carb body, the actual function happens inside the carburetor. As such your concern is basicly an obsessive-compulsive issue where you think it "must be flush", but really it doesn't have to. What it has to do is be adjusted in such a way that it works.

ANyway, once you push that too far in, so that it pushes the needle out, idle will be high. In fact I encountered another person who had done this very same thing, and it was leaned way out on bottom as a result of this. His was in fact two full revolutions in.

So pretty much don't mess with it if you don't know what it does, and certainly don't use external appearance of the screw head as a measure of adjusting it.

Last edited by Eivind E; 11-30-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the explanation. My carb also has a long lsn versus a short lsn. I was under the impression that if you adjust the msn as much as i did i would have to adjust the lsn to compensate(The msn was 1 3/4 turns out). That just seemed like too much. What you say makes alot of sense and ultimately once set back to 1 3/4 turns out it idled fine and ran correctly again. So i guess the cup part was to far into the airstream disrupting flow leaning it out once fully warm. Man thanks for keeping me sane 👍thought i was losing my mind for a sec.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anyone still running these?
Old 03-08-2015, 03:08 AM
Tech Lord

Mine is still in transit, it was probably a better idea to order it from the international warehouse instead of the European....

But a clubmember did get his one and did let me work on it
(it is the onroad version)

The engine is published as a super long stroke but the 16.2mm diameter of the piston shows a normal long stroke model. The timings are not bad for an offroad model but for sure the exhaust is far of from an onroad model.

In this list what it original had and what it did become.

The crankshaft looks good, with a 9.8mm hole and a large timing it is set to performance. Als doing some grinding on it it shows it is not that soft.
The carburatot is an onroad type but is set to a max of 8mm which is also not onroad worthy, I drilled it up to 8.5mm
The only thing I noticed was that it had no hone profile on the chrome layer (crossed scratches)

Some pics if the motor and work:
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...21-onroad.html
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Excellent work! So without the hone profile should we expect a longer break in or lap the sleeve...?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Tech Lord

As mentioned many times there is not that much pinch in the P/S set so the break in must be easy. But the scratches do hold oil what will result in a better lubrication and a better sealing (more compression). On the other hand no real problems with this motor are found on the web.

Let see what this does, the timings are about a N21-5T motor so I hope to see some equal performance. I think the P/S set will wear faster.

The engine must go back to the owner so he can break it in and do some tests.

And nice to mention is that it seems it can have Novarossi rods.... Also the P/S set has the dimensions that it will fit in a Novarossi. With an old NR motor and this 20 euro costing P/S set you could bring back some life.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:59 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Roelof, I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this motor. I have followed some of your threads about how to port/tune motors. I picked up one of these motors to try some very basic engine mods. So far all I have done is break it in. I am going to take it to the track this weekend for practice and then tear it down for inspection and porting.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Default TrackStar SEG 21 with tuned crankshaft !

Hi,

i have buy SEG 21 the 30/10/2014 from H.K. ... It came with tuned crankshaft...

is a mistake or have improvements ...

Marco
Old 11-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Sweet rust.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Socket
Sweet rust.
Where? Seems like a reflection.

Hard to believe they made improvements, I guess they just buy(cheap) whatever the factory produces.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Lord

Why is this a tuned crankshaft?
Old 12-02-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Roelof
Why is this a tuned crankshaft?
As you know already, it doesn't matter if timings are the same, fancy cuts mean tuned...
Old 12-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I purchased one of these motors from hobby king because I was curious how a 60 dollar would perform. I was surprised how little pinch this motor had, could turn it over with my fingers with easy! Anyways I fired it up and put threw a few tanks threw it before putting on a decent tune. I got to say it exceeded my expectations because I wasn't expecting much out of it. Even though I raced it on a small track it never flamed out and had smooth controllable power. It was actually easy to be consistent on lap after lap. I usually run 200-300 motors (novarossi)to give you an idea what I'm comparing it to. At the 3.5 gallon mark it started to be inconsistent, hard starting, tuning issues etc. There was absolutely no compression left...pretty sure if I had it pinched, performance would have come back but.....it's land fill now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.