Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
ROAR Approves 4-Stroke Engines >

ROAR Approves 4-Stroke Engines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Approves 4-Stroke Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nickdawg18
This statement is wrong. I race mx and came from a 250 ring dinger to a 450 4 stroke. If you were constantly doing valve jobs then you were doing something horribly wrong. 2 strokes are cheaper to rebuild buuuuuut, your changing the piston so many times in a season it gets expensive. 4 stroke engines do cost more for a rebuild but guess what, they last a helluva lot longer than a 2t so the cost is justified. The noise thing, roar is wrong on that point since 4 strokes are just as loud.
Ok lets try your statement with any TOP LEVEL privateer on the amateur circuit racing 250 four strokes. Those things are money pits and you can't deny it. I agree 450's don't require the tear down like the 250's do because you never beat on them. 250 four stroke get the &*%& rung out them every time they roll out of the pits. It costs triple to campaign a 250 four stroke compared to running a 125. Pistons and rings are cheap. I raced a shifter kart that had to be rebuilt monthly so I know about stress on small 2 strokes. It's nothing compared to what a fast 250F rider does to a dirt bike
Old 01-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

ROAR, fuel pumps and EFI please!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I like the current engines. I don't feel a need to switch to a 4 storke engine at all.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

To me the loudness of the exhaust will be a issue. It already is with 2 strokes at some places. I know places that have been shut down by noise with RC and MX.

It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think it will be sweet to see a factory tuned O.S. or Novarossi thumper, with matched tuned exhaust. Maybe a Werks B4T-Pro... Very interesting
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by linkless
I hope this never takes off, just like I hoped the 4-strokes would never take off in motocross. All it will mean is more cost to the consumers as the engines won't last as long and repairs will cost much more.
I think this would be reverse for RC engines, a 2 stroke nitro engine revs around 40,000 rpm. I do not think a 4 stroke valve train would ever hold up at these rpms. Therefore they will more then likely be turning way less rpms and this may just allow for rings to be used on pistons extending engine life even further. The initial cost will probably be more but I think it will be cheaper in the long run. The reason 4 stroke motorcross engines do not hold together is because of the rpms they are turning around 14-15,000 especially the 250's. 450s hold together alot better because they are not turning as much.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Jesus, some of you people do more complaining than you realize. Roar is not mandating that you buy a 4 stroke and try and slap it in your buggy. They are simply opening the rules up to allow for the ability to develop an alternate power train. Competition will fuel the advancement of technology that eventually trickles down into your every day RTR cars that introduce people into our hobby.

If the market is there for a 4 stroke powered buggy, the price for said technology will eventually be affordable for almost all budgets (Example: Lipo and brushless technology.)

Quit whining and go play with your toy cars!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Though my experience with 4 stroke in an rc race vehicle was in a 1/10th gas truck, I think if done well it would run great. I had some tuning issues at times, but when I had it figured out it ran awesome. The engine was rated around 18,000 rpm (I think?) so the truck had the smallest spur possible on it and a nitro TC3 large 2nd gear pinion. Also it needed really soft clutch springs with the less revs. It was still loud, just a different tone vs. a normal .12 2 stroke. Never needed any type of rebuild in the year and a half I ran it, just check valve clearances.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'll stick with the 2 stroke. One season of racing a mod 125 in mx cost me $2500.00 on engine maintenance on my sons bike. One season of racing a stock 250 four stroke cost $5800.00 on engine maintenance. That is just for parts, i did the labor myself. I will say i was way picky on his engines cause i would never forgive myself if he got hurt because i cut corners. If mx is the model then a comparable 4 stroke r/c engine would have to be a .42 and have you weighed a 4 stroke exhaust system compared to 2 stroke? And while you are at it ck. a pro circuit pipe price for a 125 and compare it to a 250F pipe. I applaud roar for trying to promote advancement in r/c cars, but not sure if that is the way to go. Guess we will see in a few years. Happy r/c'ing everyone!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Racerx336
Jesus, some of you people do more complaining than you realize. Roar is not mandating that you buy a 4 stroke and try and slap it in your buggy. They are simply opening the rules up to allow for the ability to develop an alternate power train. Competition will fuel the advancement of technology that eventually trickles down into your every day RTR cars that introduce people into our hobby.

If the market is there for a 4 stroke powered buggy, the price for said technology will eventually be affordable for almost all budgets (Example: Lipo and brushless technology.)

Quit whining and go play with your toy cars!
Best post thus far. Opening the playing fleid causes evolution, companies will spend more time doing R&D thus creating additional technology. I know noise is a big issue within our suburbs due too noise variance laws. This is a huge for track owners this ruling creates growing within hobby. This could potentially grow our gas classes within these areas promoting additional revenue and race venues within your state.

Man people hate change that's the biggest down fall within our business sector it promotes stagnet growth and opportunity period. As a racer, I welcome new businesses and offering it decreases monopolies and increasing opportunity creating lower cost and higher supply which benefits us the end user.

I can see if roar limited our selection (famous 4) but they haven't with this ruling . I would love too see electric tracks open a gas class case their able to meet the proper DB (decibel) rating within their area.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Best post thus far. Opening the playing fleid causes evolution, companies will spend more time doing R&D thus creating additional technology. I know noise is a big issue within our suburbs due too noise variance laws. This is a huge for track owners this ruling creates growing within hobby. This could potentially grow our gas classes within these areas promoting additional revenue and race venues within your state.

Man people hate change that's the biggest down fall within our business sector it promotes stagnet growth and opportunity period. As a racer, I welcome new businesses and offering it decreases monopolies and increasing opportunity creating lower cost and higher supply which benefits us the end user.

I can see if roar limited our selection (famous 4) but they haven't with this ruling . I would love too see electric tracks open a gas class case their able to meet the proper DB (decibel) rating within their area.
This is silliness

It should spawn one decent 4stroke buggy but we shall see

4 strokes use low nitro , high oil and smoke like my green mountain grill

The p.a. system is the loudest part of rc

Should be interesting fosho
Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It will be interesting to see what kind of engines come out of this. They will be expensive though. A lot more moving parts to fail and usually if a 4 stroke, 1 cylinder lets go its catastrophic!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Who's going to offer custom camshaft grinding, cylinder head mods including bigger valves, cooling fan/radiator repair?

The reduced rpm capability will require multi-speed transmissions or CVTs.

A good engineer can build it, but will it be better?

I'd benefit more from a collision avoidance system.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Initiate

edit..

wrong answer from me.

HPI has 2-stroke gasoline engine, not 4-stroke.

Last edited by buggyman5; 01-03-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-04-2013, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does it specify what size 4 Stroke engine & for what classes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.