Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
tornado s30 VERY hard to pull start >

tornado s30 VERY hard to pull start

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tornado s30 VERY hard to pull start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default tornado s30 VERY hard to pull start

so i posted about this quite some time ago but i just never got to it. the buggy is extremely difficult to pull start. when i originally posted, many people responded that it was the rod/bar that goes into the back of the engine (dont remember exactly what its called) and that made sense, but my question is is that if this IS the problem, how do i fix it? do i grease it? loosen it somehow? any help would be appreciated as always

or if you think its something else feel free to mention that as well
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Is it easy to pull start with glow plug removed?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Rookie

funny you should ask, it IS easy to pull with the glow plug out. what does that mean? it says that if you want to get some of the excess fuel out to take the plug out and pull the cord. when i do that, it pulls no problem what so ever. but when the plug is in, and im actually trying to start it, thats when it becomes very difficult to pull. any help is appreciated, thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Master

Loosen the plug 1/4 turn. Once started, tighten it back up.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

ya but wouldnt i have to do that every time i start it?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

yeah loosen off a little until it starts and then tighten...you may have to do that for a while until the motor loosens up..the piston and sleeve are a taper fit so very tight when new but once you get 6-7 tanks thru it should be easier to start and may not need the glow plug loosened.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Rookie

ok so i got it all put back together and tried what you guys were suggesting, and what its doing is the pull start is pulling easier, but it will pull once or twice where you can feel it turning the piston, but then it just pulls freely. you pull the string up and you can feel that its not turning anything its just turning freely, what could that be?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gmorin71
ok so i got it all put back together and tried what you guys were suggesting, and what its doing is the pull start is pulling easier, but it will pull once or twice where you can feel it turning the piston, but then it just pulls freely. you pull the string up and you can feel that its not turning anything its just turning freely, what could that be?
check the one-way bearing. take the pull start off, careful to not let the spool with pull rope come out of housing. There will be your one-way bearing, I think. not sure what kind of engine you have. Try cleaning the bearing with wd-40. If that doesn't help, you'll need to replace it...they get gummed up with oil so this is kind of a maintanence thing.

Last edited by sschultz; 01-13-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gmorin71
that would be a bad one way bearing. you can take it out and clean it and put it back in but its going to need to be replaced. its like a nut that the pull starter slides over is the best way i can describe it. it only spins one way and its not grabbing so its bad might of been bad from the start. i just replaced one on one of my cars and it was doing the same as yours and works great now. good luck
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Rookie

ok, ill search for the part and see if that helps. the car is fairly new so it must have been bad from the start. ill give that a go and check back. thanks as always!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you might be flooding the engine too much too. I don't know how much you are priming but too much can make it hard to pull.