Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
Should I spend the money on the $105 Competition Heat engine heater? >

Should I spend the money on the $105 Competition Heat engine heater?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I spend the money on the $105 Competition Heat engine heater?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate
Seems like everyone is forgetting (or just didn't read) that the OP is trying to start/break-in a Traxxas RTR engine.

The Comp Heater and it's clones have their place, but this is NOT one of them. A heat gun or a hair dryer will work fine. TBH, so will not even preheating it.
I completely agree. There are some situations that do not require someone to spend the money for a engine heater and this would be one of them. Use your new traxxas nitro to learn more about the mechanics and how to tune and properly maintain these engines.

As for the higher price for our heaters compared to the knock offs. I refuse to have them made over seas. When we first started this business we had parts and pieces made from all over and worked hard to get things done right here. All of our heaters are custom made, Yes, when we get an order they are assembled and each one is tested.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Elite

And if you have a high dollar engine and dont have a Comp heater - Get One. I was one of those (complaining about the price) people until I got one last year.. OMGoodness the difference it makes with engines. And my engines are still in excellent shape.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Once I got my first one I was spoiled! Worth the money for sure. Competition Heat quality is second to none as well...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

What if I cannot afford the comp? can i use a heat gun? Im only going to be running this in front of my house on my private road and there is an outdoor ac outlet so i dont have to worry about being at a race track or anything
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

wow! If I were to break it in during the spring when its 70 degrees out, i probably wouldnt preheat it and just start it, let it idle to heat itself up, and then continue the break in procedure. But I am going to break it in close to after Christmas But not if it is below 40 degrees outside
Old 12-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you. I'm glad to get a response from the company of the heater im debating on purchasing. I am going to use my Nitro Sport to learn off of, become more experienced, and become more comfortable with Nitros
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

The comp heat wouldnt even fit the Traxxas Pro .15 engine I will have. Since the engine isnt a 200 + dollar engine, I wont be too worried because it is only 80 or so dollars to replace
Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Not trying to high jack your thread, but just a question and hopefully it will give some good guidance and good answers for you and me. I had 2 engines a Ofna .28 and a Novarossi 528 that I heated with a heat gun, As soon as I put them on the bump box and went to start them both locked up with the piston at the top of the sleeve. I sent both to Ray at RayAracing and he took care of both of them. The sleeves were stuck in the block and piston was almost impossible to get out. My question is shouldn't the piston be at BDC before starting after heating. Could some explain maybe what went wrong causing both engines to lock up like that. I got in a hurry and I didn't check piston position. They were used engines I just got with great compression. So I'm sure it was an operator error, that I hope no one else makes.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Lord

With a high compression/pinch engine it is wise to heat it up a bit longer and turn back (reversed rotation) the flywheel against its compression/pinch so it has a long turn before it has to face the pinch/compression. With the speed it buitlds up in that half a turn it will start much easier.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, heat it at BDC. Aluminum expands faster than Brass by close to 19%
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by "WormGrunter"
Not trying to high jack your thread, but just a question and hopefully it will give some good guidance and good answers for you and me. I had 2 engines a Ofna .28 and a Novarossi 528 that I heated with a heat gun, As soon as I put them on the bump box and went to start them both locked up with the piston at the top of the sleeve. I sent both to Ray at RayAracing and he took care of both of them. The sleeves were stuck in the block and piston was almost impossible to get out. My question is shouldn't the piston be at BDC before starting after heating. Could some explain maybe what went wrong causing both engines to lock up like that. I got in a hurry and I didn't check piston position. They were used engines I just got with great compression. So I'm sure it was an operator error, that I hope no one else makes.
You should ALWAYS check the flywheel soon as you stop the motor. It shouldn't be cooling down with the piston at TDC. If you check it when you shut it off you will never have to worry about checking it before you crank it.

I love my Comp Heat!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxed-out
You should ALWAYS check the flywheel soon as you stop the motor. It shouldn't be cooling down with the piston at TDC. If you check it when you shut it off you will never have to worry about checking it before you crank it.

I love my Comp Heat!

some fuels will gum up causing piston to basically get glued to the liner
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Would Traxxas Top fuel gum up in my Nitro Sport?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Houston that's kinda what I was thinking also. Once I broke it down there was definate sign of old fuel. I should have broke it down before I ever tried to start it. Lesson definately learned. Thanks to everyone else on the TDC and BDC before and after run.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

It only gums up if you don't burn all the fuel out of the carb and engine and then let it sit up. I've worked on alot of automotive engines and that's how it works in them. I'm kinda new to the Nitro myself but i've read alot about fuel so this should be pretty accurate facts, If not one of the pro's will post shortly. That's what makes Rctech the best site out there, everyone is always willing to help and there is tons of knowledge on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.