Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Front Engine leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Maximo
I believe your looking for a complex solution to a very basic problem..... By you just telling me it wont idle even with the idle screw turned all the way in tells me your needles are going to be completely out of range and the likely source of all your issues...Before we even consider looking at blocking the bypass we need to cover some of the basics..

what fuel are you running and what glowplug are you running ?
I've spent hours playing with those needles with the idle set at 1mm or so. Even got a hold of redcat for resetting the needles and the thing still won't run at factory reset settings. Thing will be running great and acting like it should then out of no where just starts acting up. I am using 20% nitro regular old torco fuel and a medium glow plug
Old 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D8
no need to be calling his car or truck or engine or whatever he has a POS dude.. everyone needs to start somewhere.. I am sure that he will learn a thing or two with his redcat and move into some else..
^^^.....^^^

Theres "No Need" for you to come play Thread Police either...

The Man in question actually agrees with My post because it is the TRUTH...

Now "dewd" go put on some Grown Man Pants and stop Phucing crying over non offensive posts on a public forum.....
Old 10-26-2013, 04:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wikitjuggla
I've spent hours playing with those needles with the idle set at 1mm or so. Even got a hold of redcat for resetting the needles and the thing still won't run at factory reset settings. Thing will be running great and acting like it should then out of no where just starts acting up. I am using 20% nitro regular old torco fuel and a medium glow plug

you have spent hours cranking on the needles...trust me bro, that is not how you get a nitro to run.....

Also a 1 mm idle gap is far too big as it is, anything larger is is way out of range.........You want to set a 0.5 mm idle gap, then set your LSN around that.......

also fuel isn't just fuel..some fuels are absolute junk and others can be quite good.....what is the oil content of the swill your trying to run ?

Last edited by Maximo; 10-26-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Maximo
you have spent hours cranking on the needles...trust me bro, that is not how you get a nitro to run.....

Also a 1 mm idle gap is far too big as it is, anything larger is is way out of range.........You want to set a 0.5 mm idle gap, then set your LSN around that.......

also fuel isn't just fuel..some fuels are absolute junk and others can be quite good.....what is the oil content of the swill your trying to run ?
Hey i never said "cranking" i have done it like your supposed to with adjustments in increments between 1/16 and 1/8 turns and if i set my gap to 0.5 it wouldn't run longer than literally half a second after i backed off the throttle. If your engine runs smoothly and reliably at 0.5 i think you have a carb air leak. Before i sealed my carb on my plane engine i could have the throttle /butterfly plate closed completely all the way and the engine would keep running. Now if it is me screwing up the needles as you say, I can see it as possible if the carb on my engine is one those extremely touchy ones where if you adjust one needle, you have to adjust the other. I was running it yesterday and it actually ran decent but it still wouldn't idle for more than 10 seconds or so and as i was tuning it, i was richening the high speed needle and every time i did it would die quicker at idle until i leaned the low speed needle but yet the low speed did not exhibit any signs of being too rich. Maybe a lil extra smoke but not significant. and i have spent equally as much time on forums looking at how to tune it. Tried to take it to hobbytown to have them try to tune it a couple times but everytime i show up, the guy who does it isn't there and i live 60 miles from hobbytown which is the closest hobbyshop i can get to

The bottle doesn't say the oil content but lots of other people use the same torco fuel without issue. Bought it off Amazon. The crap I bought from hobbytown made my car run even worse

Last edited by wikitjuggla; 10-26-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey i never said "cranking" i have done it like your supposed to with adjustments in increments between 1/16 and 1/8 turns and if i set my gap to 0.5 it wouldn't run longer than literally half a second after i backed off the throttle. If your engine runs smoothly and reliably at 0.5 i think you have a carb air leak. Before i sealed my carb on my plane engine i could have the throttle /butterfly plate closed completely all the way and the engine would keep running. Now if it is me screwing up the needles as you say, I can see it as possible if the carb on my engine is one those extremely touchy ones where if you adjust one needle, you have to adjust the other. I was running it yesterday and it actually ran decent but it still wouldn't idle for more than 10 seconds or so and as i was tuning it, i was richening the high speed needle and every time i did it would die quicker at idle until i leaned the low speed needle but yet the low speed did not exhibit any signs of being too rich. Maybe a lil extra smoke but not significant. and i have spent equally as much time on forums looking at how to tune it. Tried to take it to hobbytown to have them try to tune it a couple times but everytime i show up, the guy who does it isn't there and i live 60 miles from hobbytown which is the closest hobbyshop i can get to

The bottle doesn't say the oil content but lots of other people use the same torco fuel without issue. Bought it off Amazon. The crap I bought from hobbytown made my car run even worse

Carry on then you already have things covered ! What do I know about tuning a engine anyways !
Old 10-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

The bottle doesn't say the oil content but lots of other people use the same torco fuel without issue.
http://torconitro.com/pro-rc-nitro.html
Old 10-26-2013, 11:04 AM
D8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by neophyte6
^^^.....^^^

Theres "No Need" for you to come play Thread Police either...

The Man in question actually agrees with My post because it is the TRUTH...

Now "dewd" go put on some Grown Man Pants and stop Phucing crying over non offensive posts on a public forum.....
regardless if he has a POS like you said, still doesn't give anyone the right to talk shit about their stuff., how would you like other people calling your rc stuff garbage, POS... even if he agrees that he has a POS still doesn't give nobody the right..
I like to respect people.. that simple!
Hell.. that is another reasons why this world is messed up as it is... the lack of respect that people has for each other.. but again, That is just me..
Old 10-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if i set my gap to 0.5 it wouldn't run longer than literally half a second after i backed off the throttle. If your engine runs smoothly and reliably at 0.5 i think you have a carb air leak.
Buddy with that comment i think you need to go back to the drawing board and re learn how to tune. Im starting to see where your problems are now.

You have alot of very knowledgeable people trying to help you here, you need to listen what they are trying to tell you, these guys dont make up the rules, there just stating facts.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Last edited by hookem34; 10-27-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Pretty sure neal knows what he is talking about.. close the idle gap to .4 to .5mm and lean the low end needle to where it will idle.and always have the engine at running temps and heat soak in the chassis if your new to tuning. Youll chase needles allday with that large of a idle gap. Its super rich to keep the rpm down to an idle at that gap.. hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NitroVein
Wow only 14%. Thats probably half my problem right there. Wouldn't have bought it if I had known that. Is there a way to add oil to the fuel? This probably wouldn't work but never hurts to ask, would adding some 2-cycle oil to it work? The fuel i broke it in with had 18% but it ran worse than it does now after i switched to the torco

I'm not trying to say i know it all about tuning or offend. Its just, I have read every forum, watched every video, practiced and practiced on the car with the tuning thing and it never makes a difference. And after i tune it, it passes the pinch test. This is just how my engine runs and i'm not bogging it down with extra fuel to compensate for the idle needle being set way open. The idle is so high that the car moves without me opening the throttle. It dies otherwise. And even if that 0.5 gap works on other engines, this one would die instantaneously. Even at factory needle defaults or slightly leaner it won't idle at a 1mm gap let alone 0.5. If I actually had a problem with my needle settings, wouldn't it run like crap all the time? cause sometimes it works perfectly and then a tank and a half later out of nowhere starts crapping out on me again
Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

14% is plenty of oil, most times 8% is plenty. On almost every brand engine the "factory setting" is where the needles come from the factory for break in. If the engine is broke in then that would be way too rich. If it is leaking air from the front bearing then the idle would be high and it would still run with almost no idle gap. Try the idle gap at .5-.7mm adjust the lsn to get the idle speed, lean to raise the idle rich to lower.

Rex
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

I'll try doing as you guys say with the gap thing and needle thing but i'm almost positive its not going to work but i'll give it a shot. Oh and when i opened it out of the box brand new, it took me an hour just to get it to sputter a little bit before i even touched the needles and yes i primed it first
Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Would a 4.6 savage motor fit on a .21 mount? Would this even be practical? I'd probably destroy all of the gears with that motor in my crappy aftershock