Wiki Posts
Search

P3 vs Orion 4/5 plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default P3 vs Orion 4/5 plugs

Heyguys I just wanted to start a thread that was just something iv been thinking of in my mind, I have used p3 plugs in my os engines and sirio 5/6 plugs in my werks and Orion's engines, I noticed after 4 gallons on one of my #5 plugs in a werks engine that the sirio based plugs lasted much longer then the p3 plugs I was popping daily in my os engines so I decided to try a one of my 5s in the os and it worked phenomenal, I ended up on a race day burning 2 p3s so I changed to a Orion 5 and it lasted 3 gallons and it made me think the os plugs were either a bad batch or just flat out not as good, has anyone else had a similar experience?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Matt what shims are you running. If your burning plugs that fast something isn't right. Is your tune extra lean? Look at your plug out how does it look. It should have a wet look, light brown its wire should be silver'ish. A good indication for a lean condition is if your wire is white'ish. If you have been running this way for awhile a good check would be if your button is pitted. If these conditions are present your lean or your head clearance could be wrong.

Just some pointers . How the. 19 didn't get feedback everything fine as described correct? If so please leave and I will return. Thx

You saying a colder plug works better and last longer makes sense for your condition
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I actually just scored a piston rod and sleeve from a pro I know so ill let u know how everything is when I finally run it. Should have it running in a month or two when I get back from my Germany trip. [/B]
Originally Posted by bigjayjay1
Matt what shims are you running. If your burning plugs that fast something isn't right. Is your tune extra lean? Look at your plug out how does it look. It should have a wet look, light brown its wire should be silver'ish. A good indication for a lean condition is if your wire is white'ish. If you have been running this way for awhile a good check would be if your button is pitted. If these conditions are present your lean or your head clearance could be wrong.

Just some pointers . How the. 19 didn't get feedback everything fine as described correct? If so please leave and I will return. Thx

You saying a colder plug works better and last longer makes sense for your condition
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Piva
Heyguys I just wanted to start a thread that was just something iv been thinking of in my mind, I have used p3 plugs in my os engines and sirio 5/6 plugs in my werks and Orion's engines, I noticed after 4 gallons on one of my #5 plugs in a werks engine that the sirio based plugs lasted much longer then the p3 plugs I was popping daily in my os engines so I decided to try a one of my 5s in the os and it worked phenomenal, I ended up on a race day burning 2 p3s so I changed to a Orion 5 and it lasted 3 gallons and it made me think the os plugs were either a bad batch or just flat out not as good, has anyone else had a similar experience?
I never run ANY plug 3 gallons! Every race I put in a new plug right before the main. I have seen what an old plug can do if it fails and the wire pops off and into the engine.